New Book Honoring Midgley

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Shulem
God

Re: New Book Honoring Midgley

Post by Shulem »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:12 am
I hope they do a sequel. Just imagine the possibilities!:

--"'He did *what* yet again?' Memories of Louis C. Midley"

Hopefully it will be proofread and they spell his name correctly. You'd think Peterson could handle at least that much. After all, he is a school teacher and grades papers.

HOW to spell Midgley

:lol:
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Gadianton wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:27 am
Wow, that's giving himself a double pat on his own back. First, drawing attention to his own greatness for a book getting written about himself, and second, he assumes the book, that's about himself, defines scholarly standards and that anybody who disagrees with him wouldn't be able to perform at the level to get published in that book.

what a loser.
well, in his own eyes it HAS to be a book of scholarship since it is like going to be totally praising him and his intellect, so...... of COURSE it's scholarship, it puts a good side to Lou lou (Lem! I'm stealin this one from ya darlin! :lol: )

I bet this book is going to be as totally objective and two sided bias free as the film on the Witnesses Dan is working on. However, I agree with Kish too, this one may very well be worth getting for some of the serious stuff. I still can't get myself to buy Gee's stuff anymore, so lou lou has advanced beyond Gee on that score.....GO LOU LOU! :roll:
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Man, the anxiety just keeps getting ratcheted up!
SeN wrote:I’m pleased to announce that I’m now in possession of a number of copies of a Festschrift in honor of Professor Louis C. Midgley, a volume that we expect to become more generally available sometime during the month of March (when we will also make a COVID-compliant formal presentation). It was compiled by friends and former colleagues and students of Professor Midgley as a token of the great affection and esteem in which we hold him. You can get some sense of its contents here:

Ted Vaggalis and Daniel C. Peterson, eds., Remembrance and Return: Essays in Honor of Louis C. Midgley

The book is being jointly published by The Interpreter Foundation, of Orem, Utah, and Eborn Books, of Salt Lake City, Utah.
DCP, in the Comments wrote:Incidentally, noel, you might want to clue some of your pals over at the Peterson/Midgley Obsession Board in to the fact that I have no control over typographical errors on the Eborn Books website, and that misspellings of names there have no necessary connection with spellings in our book.

They won't appreciate the news, of course, but it would be kind on your part to spare them further embarrassment.
LOL! So, whose fault is it then? It may be worth snagging a copy, just so you can have the version with the error in it! It could become a Mopologetic collector's item--sort of like the physical copies of the "Metcalfe is Butthead" issue of the FARMS Review.

By the way, the "For Authors" section at Eborn Books reads as follows:
Eborn Books publishes works of a historical, doctrinal, and biographical nature about people or aspects of the LDS or Mormon Faith. We welcome manuscripts that capture and present material that is not published anywhere else. Some of our authors are scholars, others simply individuals with a passion for the gospel of Jesus Christ and the historical figures of the faith. If you would like to submit your manuscript for publication please feel free to do so as we are always interested in new manuscripts that meet our publishing interests. We highly recommend having your book as press ready as possible prior to submission. Please ensure that your manuscript has been edited, peer-reviewed, and represents thorough research and development. Good luck, and we look forward to reading your material.
(emphasis added)

I assume that when Dr. Peterson says, "I have no control over the typographical errors," what he actually means is: "I tried emailing and calling them, but they're not answering. It's Sunday, after all, so at minimum, the error is going to be up there until tomorrow." You have to wonder if some yelling will be involved.

In any case, quite a tough one to absorb, eh? And to think: this is happening on the week that "Witnesses" is set to debut! I bet there have been a lot of difficult, sweat-drenched nights these past couple of weeks.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

After the success of his story Conquering the Tanner Bookstore as told by Dr. Louis Midgley, it was a shame that The Colvin Maneuver - There and Back Again, was such a flop.

In the late 19th or early 20th Centuries, was there ever a Festschrift honoring Orrin Porter Rockwell?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

DCP, in the Comments wrote:
Incidentally, noel, you might want to clue some of your pals over at the Peterson/Midgley Obsession Board in to the fact that I have no control over typographical errors on the Eborn Books website, and that misspellings of names there have no necessary connection with spellings in our book.

They won't appreciate the news, of course, but it would be kind on your part to spare them further embarrassment.

I say bull. You're full of it, Peterson. You're most certainly guilty of misspelling words such as "Midley Family Photographs". The list was typed up and produced by no other than those who *wrote* and edited the book -- it's a cut and paste itemized list produced into the website as so ordered.

And ordered by who? How about the author and editors? That sounds perfectly reasonable!

You liar.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

14. The Suppression of the Joseph Smith Papryri, John Gee

John-boy Gee,

Why did Hedlock chisel out the jackal snout?

Hey, what's the king's name? 14th Dynasty? Oh come on now. You know that is much too late in the historical annals whereby you can't put Smith's so-called 6,000 year chronology of man's earthly sojourn (see Book of Moses, D&C, Bible) and make any sense of conventional Egyptian chronology -- when will you date the pyramids (3rd & 4th dynasties) and when did the 1st Dynasty blossom after predynastic Egyptian times? Don't forget, you're dealing with Smith's inspired 6,000 year timeline!

So many problems for you, John-boy Egyptologist. You think you're so smart fooling your Mormon flock.

Another David Rohl? Or worse yet, Velikovsky?

You're a liar, John-boy. A liar. And you do suppress the Joseph Smith Papyri. Yes, you, do.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Literally one of the jobs an editor does is to ensure spelling errors are corrected. The astronomical blunder of including a chapter heading with the honoree’s name misspelled falls squarely on the editor’s shoulders. Mr. Peterson, yet again, dodges responsibility for his unprofessionalism by blaming others. Good Lord, you’d think an adult male at some point would learn to be accountable when he’s given responsibility. What a stunted man.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

So, I just called them:

254 S. Main Street
Salt Lake City, UT. 84101
801-359-0460

And asked them if a misspelling appears on their website who’s responsible for it, and explained what I’m seeing and the gentleman explained they don’t type anything. All spelling errors you see on their site come from the people submitting the material. They “don’t engage in editorial duties.”

Peterson lies again.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:52 pm
Peterson lies again.

- Doc

That is what he does, on a professional level. He's a professional liar. Just like John Gee is when it comes to the Book of Abraham. The Church pays them to lie.

Liars.
Shulem
God

LOU LOU Midley!!

Post by Shulem »

Lou Lou looks pretty good for 90. Way to go, dude.

:P