New Book Honoring Midgley

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Moksha
God

Re: New Book Honoring Midgley

Post by Moksha »

Gadianton wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:21 am
I guarantee that for the handful of people who are interested in Mr. M's life story, that most would turn to the back to get Gemli's take before reading the other stuff.
Especially with the title: Louis C. Midgley: Piranha for the Lord.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

hauslern wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:00 am
KerryM wrote:"Yes. Joseph identifies certain people in Facsimile 3"

Actually, you doofus, he identified EVERY PERSON in Facsimile No. 3, not just certain people, but ALL of them. He identified them in like manner as anyone would identify another person -- by name and/or title.

KerryM wrote:and points out that their names are indicated by the hieroglyphs over their heads.

Indeed, Smith pointed out that the actual hieroglyphs over the heads/hands of the person below provide the following names and designations:

1. Abraham sitting upon Pharaoh’s throne
2. King Pharaoh, whose name is given in the characters above his head
3. Prince of Pharaoh, King of Egypt, as written above the hand
4. Shulem, one of the king’s principal waiters, as represented by the characters above his hand
5. Olimlah, a slave belonging to the prince

KerryM wrote:As I translate these hieroglyphs, they do not match Joseph’s interpretations.

Well, all I can say, it's fortunate for you (Kerry-boy) that you were not working at the Times and Seasons press to inform Smith that your translations don't match his! Just imagine how Smith would have reacted to your opposition to his inspired translation -- against God's appointed TRANSLATOR of the Church? I think you, Kerry-boy, would have got the boot! Dude, you are so out of the Church. Get the hell out of Nauvoo, you apostate!

KerryM wrote:There are some facts that cast light on this.

Some? SOME? Why is it you apologists love to apply the word "some" in order to soften the blow? Come on Kerry-boy, get with the facts, it's not "some", it's ALL!

KerryM wrote:I am not disturbed by Joseph labeling Figure 2 as a male when the picture and text identify a female

Bull! You're lying and you know it! It disturbs you. Yes, it does! And for good reason. Don't lie to me, Kerry-boy. I'm on to you. Oh yes, it bothers you. Yes it does!
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Moksha wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:34 pm
In that case, it was Midgley's fault for temporarily altering his name and changing it back without informing Dr. Peterson. That seems like the most coherent apologetic explanation unless you are in for a totally wacky explanation of a horde of non-Danite anti-Mormons sneaking in at night and altering the spelling. However, the latter explanation would go over at SeN without a question.
It is possible that any misspelling was made deliberately; in the spirit of fun since Dr. Midgley is forever goofing on other people's names. Besides, it was corrected the minute this board pointed it out, so there.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Naw, dawg. It’s still there.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

Lem wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:14 pm
Tom wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:05 pm
I must confess that I've likely read six of the festschrift pieces, although I suppose some of the essays may have been revised or updated. They include:

"Thomas Hobbes’s 'A Discourse of Laws,'" Noel B. Reynolds

"The Book of Mormon as a Resurrected Book and a Type of Christ," George L. Mitton

"Memory and Identity in the Book of Mormon," Steven L. Olsen

"A Familiar Eternity," Ralph C. Hancock

"An Essay on the One True Morality and the Principle of Freedom," Alma (misspelled as "Alan" on the Eborn Books page] Don Sorensen

"Separated but Not Divorced: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Its Uncomfortable Relationship with Its Polygamous Past," Craig L. Foster

I do look forward to the family photographs and the bibliography, although I must admit that it's disappointing that the bibliography is selected rather than comprehensive.
Another misspelling? Lol. Obviously the worldwide web's fault. :lol:

Tom! So glad to hear from you. Any chance you might be attending the lds film festival? Your reviews are always spot on and so informative.
I also noticed this curious misspelling: "The Suppression of the Joseph Smith Papryri [sic]."

Lem, after consulting with my doctor, I have decided to forgo mingling with hundreds of others inside a a poorly-ventilated movie theater (a proven petri dish for COVID-19 infections). Plus, I anticipate laughter during the scene in which Joseph uses the plates to smash the ruffian in the face. There is a risk of aerosol transmission with laughter. (To be candid, I'm simply stunned that the film festival is not virtual this year.)

Instead, I will spend several hours tonight posting up a storm at Sic et Non and attempting to locate where Dr. Van Nostrand currently lives. Now I was previously aware that he lived on West 81st Street in New York City.

Last edited by Tom on Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Shulem
God

Re: New Book Honoring Midley

Post by Shulem »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:23 pm
Naw, dawg. It’s still there.

- Doc

Yep, Midley is still there with his family photos too.

:lol:
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

I hear that there’s a second Watson hardcover.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:16 pm
They mathematically have analyzed this with the help of Bayes Theorem, and have come to a firm conclusion there is a 1 in 345,297,678,775,301,034,818,315,169,345,373,737,020,202,991,199,666,352
chance that there is a second letter regardless of what critics have said or shown. Evidence shmevidence, they gots Bayes Theorem and it works in their favor, so you can bet this is scientific. It is more likely that there is a second letter than there are atoms in the known multiverse full of an infinite number of universes! This is a valid and HUGE discovery confirming many a testimony of and in behalf of truth.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:16 pm
Oh this is really funny. A friend who has a peek at the Swamp every now and then mentioned to me that there was some babble there.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

If you really want to know what the swamp rats over at that other place really think of the Midge, the eborn website is still showing all the shoddy errors:

https://ebornbooks.com/shop/non-fiction ... 609199913/

Boy, all I know is if I loved someone I would’ve ensured all the errors this place has pointed out were corrected immediately. Just goes to show what kind of friends the Midge really has around him. :/

- Doc