New Book Honoring Midgley

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Shulem
God

Re: New Book Honoring Midgley

Post by Shulem »

Peterson is just a flunky school teacher, he doesn’t even know the king’s name in Facsimile No. 3.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Shulem wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:09 pm
Peterson is just a flunky school teacher, he doesn’t even know the king’s name in Facsimile No. 3.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Does a day ever go by in the Swamp where the King Muskrat doesn’t swim his way up the drainage pipe and then seethe about the Sewer? Hi, Mr. Peterson! Why don’t you take a break from blogging for a few minutes, and fix the errors we pointed out? It’s the least you could do for the Midge, no? He’d be so excited to know you care he might spin around and slap his head!

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Moksha wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:30 pm
Lem wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:24 am
... in the portion of the Letter that mentioned short hand Egyptian.
I think I located this ancient mention:

Apologists in the donut shop say
(Whey oh whey oh, ay oh whey oh)
Shorthand Egyptian
Shorthand Egyptian.

Celebrate Lou Midgley!
Now I'm a gonna have this stupid song in my head all day bird..... :lol:
Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Post by Bret Ripley »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:58 pm
Moksha wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:30 pm

I think I located this ancient mention:

Apologists in the donut shop say
Shorthand Egyptian
Shorthand Egyptian.

Celebrate Lou Midgley!
... stupid song ...
Dead.
Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Post by Bret Ripley »

Dup. Stupid dup.
Last edited by Bret Ripley on Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Post by Bret Ripley »

hauslern wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:00 am
In an article in the Religious Education KerryM writes "https://scholarsarchive.byu.edu/cgi/vie ... ext=facpub
"... I am not disturbed by Joseph labeling Figure 2 as a male when the picture and text identify a female"
This reminds of the classic scene from Dirty Harry: "I know what you're thinking: 'did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being that this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Does it disturb Kerry Muhlestein?'"
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Kudos to Eborn Books--or perhaps to whichever bonehead it was who made the error in the first place--but at least one of the errors has been corrected!:
Eborn Books wrote:Midgley Family Photographs
And Tom--I'm sure you'll appreciate the fact that they fixed this one too:
An Essay on the One True Morality and the Principle of Freedom, Alma Don Sorensen
(Frankly, I preferred him as "Alan.")

Sadly, the typo in John Gee's chapter remains:
The Suppression of the Joseph Smith Papryri, John Gee
I mean, maybe I'm being overly generous here, but perhaps this is some "inside joke" directed at Midgley, since Midgley was the one who "unearthed" Palmer's "Pry" pseudonym? So, like, Gee is "smuggling" this little joke in here, sort of along the same lines as the "Metcalfe is Butthead" acrostic? Then again, it could just be a typo.

Regardless, I'm confident that many of the senior-tier apologists are laughing at Gee over this.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Tom wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:45 pm
I also noticed this curious misspelling: "The Suppression of the Joseph Smith Papryri [sic]."
It's now been 8 or so days since Tom has pointed out this piss poor job of editing, thus sullying the Midge's reputation. While DCP invents awards a la The 2nd Watson Letter for his 'whatever that film ends up being', he demonstrates what he truly thinks of Lou the Mean by allowing this error to stand uncorrected.

Speaking of that taffy pulling, head slapping, in-place circling fool it looks like he's being a dick to gemli again:

"Such a one as our own Village Atheist, without caring and hence knowing anything about the faith of anyone, including Latter-day Saints, sees all "religion," except his own, of course, as fraud and stupidity. He actually has several very good excuses. He grew up in a merely nominal Roman Catholic home, where it is likely that they never read the Bible or prayed. He was sent to a Roman Catholic school, since it was likely the best one in the city in which he grew up. And he was for a few years charmed by some nice Nums. But this clearly did not teach him much of anything about Roman Catholic faith, which he easily shed."

I wonder if Danite Dan can get a gemli chapter added, you know, to honor his little buddy?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:45 am
Regardless, I'm confident that many of the senior-tier apologists are laughing at Gee over this.

"Joseph Smith Papryri"

Is there a king's name therein? John Gee can't produce the name or show us how it's spelled. Heck, Joseph Smith used to point at the papyrus and indicate that certain characters therein where the name or autograph of a certain biblical prophet. But Gee can't do jack with his Papryri.

How about it, John? What's the king's name? You dope!
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Lou Lou wrote: ....He was sent to a Roman Catholic school...[where] he was for a few years charmed by some nice Nums. But this clearly did not teach him much of anything about Roman Catholic faith.....
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Its always fascinating to see where Lou Lou's mind goes when he starts making stuff up.....