New Book Honoring Midgley

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: New Book Honoring Midgley

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Sorry Shulem, if you want to visit some of the swamprats over at the Discuss Mormonism Obsession Board to clue them in to the fact that the Eborn Books website has no control over typographical errors committed by the editors of Louis Midley’s shwiftyfritz and that misspellings of names by the latter cannot be the responsibility of the former, you’ll have to swim in the muck by yourself.

Granted, the schluppenwaffwen won't appreciate the lack of ballzenschlucking, of course, but it would be kind on your part to spare them further embarrassment.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:02 am
Sorry Shulem, if you want to visit some of the swamprats over at the Discuss Mormonism Obsession Board to clue them in to the fact that the Eborn Books website has no control over typographical errors committed by the editors of Louis Midley’s shwiftyfritz and that misspellings of names by the latter cannot be the responsibility of the former, you’ll have to swim in the muck by yourself.

Granted, the schluppenwaffwen won't appreciate the lack of ballzenschlucking, of course, but it would be kind on your part to spare them further embarrassment.

- Doc
:lol: :lol: :lol: Das ist unglaublich witzig !!!
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

How nice of him to post those photos. Yes: it's clear that the hardcover edition of the book doesn't have the typo. But what about all the rubes who buy the Eborn softcover version? Will they all get to have a coveted copy of the "Midley" edition? Well, this whole affair seems mostly designed to prop up Dr. M.'s paper-thin ego, so hopefully it accomplishes that goal.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Now I do have a bad confession. If it comes to a toss up of lou lou's book or Vogel's, Vogel is getting the cash first.........I shall have to see how much the Mopologists want to rip us off before I commit to buying what obviously is going to be a testimony bearin time in lou lou. Vogel at least will have valid information...
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

It looks like Mr. Peterson, who follows this board obsessively, has posted photos corroborating his claim about his copy of the book.
I don't think we can say with certainty that those photos haven't been doctored.

Besides, it's kind of sad that Midgley tried to hold this vanity work over Gemli's head. As part pseudo-scholarship, part scrapbook, consider that Mr. Midgley has spent several years now in the twilight of his existence* in ideological war with Gemli. Wouldn't it have been something special to invite Gemli to contribute to it?

I guarantee that for the handful of people who are interested in Mr. M's life story, that most would turn to the back to get Gemli's take before reading the other stuff.

*there is no afterlife guys, this is it, the entire enchilada.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Example #1,023 in oblviousness:

TimErnst
I've thoroughly enjoy his persona in this medium. I find it interesting and somewhat amusing how he loves to bate gemli and gemli bates him in return.

I hate how the detractors attempt to bate him. Theirs is a personal attack, filled with loathing and their attack is similar to how they attempt to attack the moderator of the blog.

Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

I must confess that I've likely read six of the festschrift pieces, although I suppose some of the essays may have been revised or updated. They include:

"Thomas Hobbes’s 'A Discourse of Laws,'" Noel B. Reynolds

"The Book of Mormon as a Resurrected Book and a Type of Christ," George L. Mitton

"Memory and Identity in the Book of Mormon," Steven L. Olsen

"A Familiar Eternity," Ralph C. Hancock

"An Essay on the One True Morality and the Principle of Freedom," Alma (misspelled as "Alan" on the Eborn Books page] Don Sorensen

"Separated but Not Divorced: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Its Uncomfortable Relationship with Its Polygamous Past," Craig L. Foster

I do look forward to the family photographs and the bibliography, although I must admit that it's disappointing that the bibliography is selected rather than comprehensive.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Tom wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:05 pm
I must confess that I've likely read six of the festschrift pieces, although I suppose some of the essays may have been revised or updated. They include:

"Thomas Hobbes’s 'A Discourse of Laws,'" Noel B. Reynolds

"The Book of Mormon as a Resurrected Book and a Type of Christ," George L. Mitton

"Memory and Identity in the Book of Mormon," Steven L. Olsen

"A Familiar Eternity," Ralph C. Hancock

"An Essay on the One True Morality and the Principle of Freedom," Alma (misspelled as "Alan" on the Eborn Books page] Don Sorensen

"Separated but Not Divorced: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Its Uncomfortable Relationship with Its Polygamous Past," Craig L. Foster

I do look forward to the family photographs and the bibliography, although I must admit that it's disappointing that the bibliography is selected rather than comprehensive.
Another misspelling? Lol. Obviously the worldwide web's fault. :lol:

Tom! So glad to hear from you. Any chance you might be attending the lds film festival? Your reviews are always spot on and so informative.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:12 am
I hope they do a sequel. Just imagine the possibilities!:

--"Chasing Gina: Cruising the Globe to Prove a Point"

--"Like a Punch to the Gut: Leave-Takers, Middle-School Disobedience, and the Latter-day Saints"

--Thou Shalt Not Abuse the Mail! Lessons in Authority and Stewardship"

--"'Books by that Queer': Homosociality as Dialectical Negation"

--"An Amazing Tour Through the Emails Repository at SHIELDS"

--"Spit or Swallow: The Library Bathroom as Scriptural Metaphor"

--"That Old Cash Nexus, Part Deux: Rodney Meldrum and the Peddling of Snake Oil"

--"Why the Missing Scroll Matters"

--"'He did *what* yet again?' Memories of Louis C. Midley"

--"Candlelight as Blasphemy: Remembering the Lynne Whitesides Incident
You missed a couple:

Of Twirling and Tantrums: Head-Slapping Lounacy, by Hartman Rector, Jr.

Codgers and Curmudgeons: Confronting Lounacy in Deseret Book, by the innocent kid behind the register

Personal Attacks and Non Sequiturs: The Online Legacy of the Cantankerous One, by gemli
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
hauslern
1st Counselor

Post by hauslern »

In an article in the Religious Education KerryM writes "https://scholarsarchive.byu.edu/cgi/vie ... ext=facpub
"Yes. Joseph identifies certain people in Facsimile 3 and points out that their
names are indicated by the hieroglyphs over their heads. As I translate these
hieroglyphs, they do not match Joseph’s interpretations. There are some facts
that cast light on this. I am not disturbed by Joseph labeling Figure 2 as a
male when the picture and text identify a female"