New Book Honoring Midgley

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Moksha
God

Re: New Book Honoring Midgley

Post by Moksha »

gemli DanielPeterson • 4 hours ago
What I know is that the witnesses are making declarations of extraordinary events that can't be investigated. There are many, many such stories of UFOs, Bigfoot, the Loch Ness monster, ghosts, spirits, angels, gods demons and an entire menagerie of supernatural beings that are more likely to arise from our imaginations or are created by people who have a vested interest in their existence. The sheer number of such beings makes one wonder why no evidence of these beings has ever led to a confirmation of any of them. It's all stories, all the time, including tales of tangible artifacts that would end all doubt. They've never been found because there is nothing to find.
If Gemli were to visit Dr. Midgely's house, he could view Lou's collection of mounted Mormon crickets. Talk about proof!
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Well, it appears that the "Papryri" error has finally been fixed:
Eborn Books wrote:The Suppression of the Joseph Smith Papyri, John Gee
Boy: that was a *lot* of errors! Who is paying the price for this outrage?
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Doctor Scratch

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Wow: Dr. Midgley is really chastising Dr. Peterson for his sloppy editing work:
Louis Midgley wrote:Professor Peterson should know that there is a serious mistake in his citation above of Hugh Nibley Observed. This book was not edited by Ted Vaggalis and Daniel C. Peterson, but by Jeffrey M. Bradshaw, Shirley S. Ricks and Stephen T. Whitlock. I happen to know that the Interpreter Foundation has recently published one Festschrift, and is about to publish a second one, both of which have been dependent upon the passion of Jeff Bradshaw. I strongly urge everyone to rush out and purchase of copy of the 820 page Hugh Nibley Observed. This remarkable book differs from the other two efforts to honor Hugh Nibley by his many friends in that is is about him and not for him.
Dr. Peterson wrote:Sheesh. I didn't even notice.

I'll get that changed.
It still hasn't been changed, by the way. Regardless, it would seem that he still has the Midgley festschrift on his mind--i.e., the one he claimed that he had no influence over, and thus bore no responsibility for the typos.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Aw, Festschrift!
This could easily be a new way to drop the F-bomb at BYU. All we need is a spark.
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

Some may perhaps have missed the formal presentation of the festschrift back in March. A few highlights:

Dr. Peterson recounts his early encounters with Dr. Midgley, including the time that Dr. Midgley knelt in Dr. Peterson's office and begged to write a review of The Word of God: Essays on Mormon Scripture (ed. Dan Vogel)

Dr. Peterson delivers a reading of Bill Hamblin's "The Ballad of Lou the Mean. (It seems that Dr. Hamblin read the poem at an event in honor of Dr. Midgley's retirement in 1996.)
Last edited by Tom on Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

Recently, I happened to stop in a Deseret Book retail store and was suddenly inspired to look for a copy of Remembrance and Return on the shelves. No luck. I asked the friendly clerk to look up the book in the computer system. No record found. So I showed him the book listing on the Eborn website. He checked the computer system again. Nothing came up. He said, “Well, at least I know the book exists.” He wasn’t familiar with the name Louis Midgley, though.

I checked a Seagull Book store. Nope. BYU Bookstore? No. (I must admit that I did not check the Utah Lighthouse Ministry.)

I recently searched for a hardcover version on Amazon. (I don’t like the typical quality of large paperback books.) No results.

I am not making this up.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Tom wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:17 am
Recently, I happened to stop in a Deseret Book retail store and was suddenly inspired to look for a copy of Remembrance and Return on the shelves. No luck. I asked the friendly clerk to look up the book in the computer system. No record found. So I showed him the book listing on the Eborn website. He checked the computer system again. Nothing came up. He said, “Well, at least I know the book exists.” He wasn’t familiar with the name Louis Midgley, though.

I checked a Seagull Book store. Nope. BYU Bookstore? No. (I must admit that I did not check the Utah Lighthouse Ministry.)

I recently searched for a hardcover version on Amazon. (I don’t like the typical quality of large paperback books.) No results.

I am not making this up.
It might be due to a small first printing to see how it does in the market? I know they only printed about 200 copies of Blake Ostler's philosophy series books. Perhaps it's already sold out... If that's the case, that means Mopologetics still has a chance! There are at least 200 of em still alive and kickin... :lol:
kairos
CTR B

Post by kairos »

Collecting woody's blog posts on yes and no would not only characterize the real LM but provide lessons on how to be an as*hole - at 300 pages hardbound i would predict amazon record sales-by the way the book would be free!

k
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:14 am
Tom wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:17 am

I am not making this up.
It might be due to a small first printing to see how it does in the market? I know they only printed about 200 copies of Blake Ostler's philosophy series books. Perhaps it's already sold out... If that's the case, that means Mopologetics still has a chance! There are at least 200 of em still alive and kickin... :lol:
It does seem to be a very small first printing. Ebornbooks.com has 40 copies of the softcover in stock. Interpreter’s website announced more than nine months ago that “Both hardbound and softbound editions will [be] available for purchase from Amazon.com.” I haven’t seen any editions—hardbound or softbound—on Amazon.

As I commented back in February, filling the festschrift with a load of rehashed pieces was a bit of an insult. Publishing the volume through Eborn is a second insult. The fact that Interpreter apparently printed so few copies seems to be a third insult.
Doctor Scratch

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Tom wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:56 am
Philo Sofee wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:14 am

It does seem to be a very small first printing. Ebornbooks.com has 40 copies of the softcover in stock. Interpreter’s website announced more than nine months ago that “Both hardbound and softbound editions will [be] available for purchase from Amazon.com.” I haven’t seen any editions—hardbound or softbound—on Amazon.

As I commented back in February, filling the festschrift with a load of rehashed pieces was a bit of an insult. Publishing the volume through Eborn is a second insult. The fact that Interpreter apparently printed so few copies seems to be a third insult.
Thanks for this update, Tom—this really is stunning. Under normal circumstances, I would say that this is sad—you know, the idea of being completely betrayed by one’s “friends” and all, but Midgley is such a repugnant human being that all I can do is laugh. How pathetic: he was bragging about his own “festschrift,” and yet look what an embarrassment it was (remember all the misspellings?). And Midgley bought all of it! He seems completely oblivious to the fact that DCP, Wyatt, and the other Interpreter yokels think so little of him. They are probably all sitting around hoping that he’ll hurry up and die.

What an utterly shameful way to treat a so-called “friend.”