Oregon Man Sues Mormon Church Over Alleged Sexual Abuse

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
IHAQ
God

Oregon Man Sues Mormon Church Over Alleged Sexual Abuse

Post by IHAQ »

When Kerlee was convicted in Oregon of sodomy in 1983, church officials sent a letter to the court in support of Kerlee, who was given five years of supervised release, according to court documents provided by Janci.

Kerlee was also a licensed counselor in Oregon until his license was revoked in 2014 after he allegedly engaged in sexual activities with a male client, according to a copy of the revoking decision by Oregon state officials provided by Hiser’s attorney.

Hiser and his attorney contend the incident reflects a larger pattern of negligence within the faith of not adequately responding to abuse claims and protecting victims. The church's hotline may sound good in theory, but sometimes serves as a way for the faith to protect its own interests over what's best for the victim, Hiser said.

“It felt like the perpetrator was protected by the church, but the church didn’t look after the victim,” he said. “They didn't do any looking into the youth he was involved with. Nobody came to give me a warning at that time. It kind of makes me a little sick to my stomach thinking. That’s why I don’t question what I’m doing now filing the lawsuit.”
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states ... xual-abuse

The man suing the Church is still an active member.
Meadowchik
Priest

Re: Oregon Man Sues Mormon Church Over Alleged Sexual Abuse

Post by Meadowchik »

It seems to me that the church takes a hard stance against abuse accusations. Specifically, it will not agree to compensation when the case of abuse is convincing and there is little chance of litigation success. It will tell victims whose cases fall through legal loopholes to take a hike.

If that is indeed its modus operandi, I think there is something wrong with that.