"Being godless might be good for your health - study shows

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Lem
God

Re: "Being godless might be good for your health - study shows

Post by Lem »

mentalgymnast wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:40 pm
Although, I must say, I think believers...for some obvious reasons...might sleep a bit better.
:roll:
Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:11 pm
mentalgymnast wrote: If there is a God, you turned away from Him a long time ago. I’d be/feel a bit uncomfortable too.
It is pretty refreshing, though, when the real MG peeks out from behind all his smilies and regards and onwards and upwardses and shows his teeth: you should be uncomfortable because my God is going to Screw you up.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

mentalgymnast wrote:
What I do see is quite a few ‘openings’ and cracks where the doors can be opened and show possibilities of higher intelligence in the cosmos.
Excellent news. Please give us an example of what you believe is the clearest "opening" or "crack" that shows the possibility of a higher intelligence in the cosmos.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

mentalgymnast wrote:
I think believers...for some obvious reasons...might sleep a bit better. 🙂
Which believers do you think sleep better at night - ones who believe in your brand of deity, ones who believe in a different brand of deity, ones who believe that nature itself is the deity, ones who believe that David Koresh was the messiah, ones who believe in blowing themselves up....etc Please be a bit more specific about which kinds of belief help sleep, which don't, and why.
mentalgymnast
1st Counselor

Post by mentalgymnast »

IHAQ wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:54 am
mentalgymnast wrote:
What I do see is quite a few ‘openings’ and cracks where the doors can be opened and show possibilities of higher intelligence in the cosmos.
Excellent news. Please give us an example of what you believe is the clearest "opening" or "crack" that shows the possibility of a higher intelligence in the cosmos.
I’ve mentioned it before. Anthropic Principle.

Regards,
MG
mentalgymnast
1st Counselor

Post by mentalgymnast »

IHAQ wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:58 am
mentalgymnast wrote:
I think believers...for some obvious reasons...might sleep a bit better. 🙂
Which believers do you think sleep better at night - ones who believe in your brand of deity, ones who believe in a different brand of deity, ones who believe that nature itself is the deity, ones who believe that David Koresh was the messiah, ones who believe in blowing themselves up....etc Please be a bit more specific about which kinds of belief help sleep, which don't, and why.
Good question. For me, it’s the brand of the CofJCofLDS.

Regards,
MG
DrW
Priest

Post by DrW »

mentalgymnast wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:16 pm

Regards,
MG
So, let me get this straight, MG. You apparently participate on this message board for the purpose of proclaiming to the world that you believe in the thoroughly discredited foundational truth claims of the CofJCofLDS. By your own admission, you are unable or unwilling to affirmatively defend or advocate for this position, other than to state that it makes you feel good.

You realize that this kind of worldview or behavioral justification, based solely on subjective feelings, is exactly that common to drug-addicted individuals - right?
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous." (David Hume)
"Errors in science are learning opportunities and are corrected when better data become available." (DrW)
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

IHAQ wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:54 am
mentalgymnast wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:14 pm
I’ve mentioned it before. Anthropic Principle.

Regards,
MG
That's your clearest "opening" or "crack"? Seriously? That's drawing a target round where an arrow fell, but I guess you know that.
If that's your strongest evidence for some kind of diety, then your foundation for belief in the God of Mormonism is basically the same as that for the tooth fairy. But hey, thanks for showing me your best card.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

IHAQ wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:58 am
mentalgymnast wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:16 pm

Regards,
MG