Anyone else into Football?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Re: Anyone else into Football?

Post by _subgenius »

bcspace wrote:
They'd never be able to do that successfully in the SEC. We saw that in the BCS championship two years ago against Auburn.

Yet I see the score was tied 19-19 until 2 seconds left.

Without even knowing what Oregon's record and rankings had been, a team I picked to watch and emulate (fishduck.com) because I am involved with youth sports happened to be the #2 team, who came within a hair of 1st, in the BCS a couple of years ago. Not too shabby.

offense sells tickets....defense wins games
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

In 2010 their heisman candidate LaMichael James was running all over the PAC-10 conference and their QB was running up scores to outrageous levels closing out games with scores of 72-0, 69-0 etc. They scored more than 50 points in half their games. That same year James rushed for over 1700 yds averaging well over 100 yds per game and more than 6 yds per carry. Clearly this team was an unstoppable force, right?

But in the BCS game against Auburn, Oregon's famous "triple option" threat was a non factor (which is why no one in the SEC uses it anymore) as James was reduced to 49 yds and only 3.8 yds per carry. Then in their first regular season game of 2011 they played another SEC team, LSU and lost by a score of 27-40. In that game James was again limited to just 50 yds with an abysmal 3.0 yds per carry.

Of course, after losing two straight games to SEC teams, Oregon continued business as usual playing their cupcake schedule and running up high scores to boost their standings in the polls. So after those two losses they scored 69 points in their next game and averaged well over 40 points for the rest of the season before losing a nail-biter to unranked USC and then suffered a close loss to Wisconsin in their bowl game.

So the fact that this offensive powerhouse averaged just 23 points per game against SEC teams, pretty much proves my point about the ineffectiveness of the triple option against SEC teams.
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Post by _bcspace »

But in the BCS game against Auburn, Oregon's famous "triple option" threat was a non factor (which is why no one in the SEC uses it anymore) as James was reduced to 49 yds and only 3.8 yds per carry. Then in their first regular season game of 2011 they played another SEC team, LSU and lost by a score of 27-40. In that game James was again limited to just 50 yds with an abysmal 3.0 yds per carry.

Of course, after losing two straight games to SEC teams, Oregon continued business as usual playing their cupcake schedule and running up high scores to boost their standings in the polls. So after those two losses they scored 69 points in their next game and averaged well over 40 points for the rest of the season before losing a nail-biter to unranked USC and then suffered a close loss to Wisconsin in their bowl game.

So the fact that this offensive powerhouse averaged just 23 points per game against SEC teams, pretty much proves my point about the ineffectiveness of the triple option against SEC teams.

And yet again, 19-19, which must mean Auburn's offense was stopped virtually as well as Oregon's was. Did you even see the game? After exchanging punts in the 1st quarter, Oregon marched right down the field and scored. If it had been a touchdown, Auburn loses the game. The only reason it wasn't a touchdown was because of one missed zone read. That's it, Auburn wins only on the strength of one mental mistake by Rice. In addition, Auburn's gassed defensive butt was saved from Oregon's fast play tempo only by the necessity to stop for TV timeouts. The play announcers even noticed how gassed Auburn defense was in the 2nd quarter. It's merely "any given day" for Auburn. No sign of a dominant SEC powerhouse.
Machina Sublime
Satan's Plan Deconstructed.
Your Best Resource On Joseph Smith's Polygamy.
Conservatism is the Gospel of Christ and the Plan of Salvation in Action.
The Degeneracy Of Progressivism.
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

Now you're going on about something entirely different. I never said it wasn't a close game nor did I say Oregon didn't put up a strong defense. What I said is that their lauded "triple-option" threat was rendered useless against an SEC defense. This was shown against not only Auburn, but LSU as well.

But I get a kick out of the way you turn apologist for the Ducks in the same way you do for Mormonism and Right Wing fanaticism. Good grief! You have every excuse in the book planned out to explain their loss, huh. If they hadn't of done this, or if Auburn had done that, etc etc. The possibilities are endless, but in the end the reality is quite simple. Oregon was well prepared for the game, they were undefeated and destroying everyone on their cupcake schedule all year long. Then they faced Auburn, who probably wasn't even the best team in the SEC that year, and they had to completely change their game plan because their bread and butter offense was useless. Even if Oregon had won the game somehow, my point still stands. They couldn't run the ball effectively, and they couldn't stop Cam Newton either.

As far as the defense being gassed... based on what evidence? Some announcer's opinion? The defense was only on the field for 27 minutes, whereas Oregon's was on the field for 33 minutes, and given the fact that Auburn ran all over their asses, I suspect it was Oregon's defense that was worn out. Running on a defense is the best way to tire them out, after all, and Auburn rushed for something like 250 yds on Oregon, which is something they weren't used to at all. By contrast, Auburn is used to facing rushing offenses, and they are used to staying on the field for more than just 27 minutes. For example, their previous regular season game against Alabama had their defense on the field 33 minutes.
_Drifting
_Emeritus

Post by _Drifting »

Only in America could a sport played primarily with 'ball in hand' called 'Football....'
“We look to not only the spiritual but also the temporal, and we believe that a person who is impoverished temporally cannot blossom spiritually.”
Keith McMullin - Counsellor in Presiding Bishopric

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

Drifting wrote:Only in America could a sport played primarily with 'ball in hand' called 'Football....'

Well, I'm pretty sure "hand ball" was already taken.
_Drifting
_Emeritus

Post by _Drifting »

Kevin Graham wrote:
Drifting wrote:Only in America could a sport played primarily with 'ball in hand' called 'Football....'

Well, I'm pretty sure "hand ball" was already taken.

True but "dress up and runaround with a synthetic oval pig skin" is still pretty much available...though not quite as catchy... :biggrin:
“We look to not only the spiritual but also the temporal, and we believe that a person who is impoverished temporally cannot blossom spiritually.”
Keith McMullin - Counsellor in Presiding Bishopric

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

So who else is excited about the BCS bowl schedule?
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Post by _Brackite »

Did anyone here get to watch the Baltimore Ravens and Denver Broncos football playoff game last Saturday evening? I wasn't able to watch that football playoff game last Saturday evening, but I heard that it was one of the greatest football playoff game in a long time. I wish that I had been able to watch it last Saturday evening. The Baltimore Ravens ended up beating the Denver Broncos in double-overtime last Saturday evening 38 to 35 in Denver.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201301120 ... &tab=recap
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter
_Falcon A
_Emeritus

Post by _Falcon A »

Go Falcons!

...been a Falcon Apologist since Bobby Hebert was the QB! They usually suck, it's been fun this year--I'm already telling friends, "there's always next season."

I recall the Steve Bartkowski/Billy "White Shoes" Johnson era, but I was a Staubach/Dorsett fan in those days...and a Greise/Csonka fan b4 that.

Atlanta 23, SF 21.

The Superdome will feel like a home game in a couple of weeks.

edited to erase smileys.