Well has the election blown you away yet?!

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: Well has the election blown you away yet?!

Post by _moksha »

Trump will be the next President. Wonder if Huntsman Chemical Corp might be getting a big contract to supply Syncrete for the Mexican Border Wall?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

richardMdBorn wrote:It's a good night for Jim Rickards. He predicted Brexit and appears to be correct about the presidential election.

Lots of people predicted a Trump Presidency but it wasn't based on any kind of scientific method. Hell, Megan Kelly just said on FOX News that people in the Trump campaign are stunned, as if even THEY weren't expecting to win.
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Kevin Graham wrote:The real winners are the white supremacists, everyone else loses.

Oh for pete sakes. Go smoke a bowl, Kev.

So who else wins smart ass?
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

Kevin Graham wrote:So who else wins smart ass?

Russia (Putin) wins. If it ends up the way it's looking right now, the US will no longer be the major force in the world. So sad at many levels.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Kevin Graham wrote:So who else wins?

The people who were able to rig the election.
_madeleine
_Emeritus

Post by _madeleine »

Philo Sofee wrote:Just curious. Trump 228, Clinton 197 electoral votes. 61% unfavorable to Trump, yet he's winning?! WTF?

I feel sick. Misogynist homophobe racist wannabe autocrat with a mandate.
Being a Christian is not the result of an ethical choice or a lofty idea, but the encounter with an event, a person, which gives life a new horizon and a decisive direction -Pope Benedict XVI
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

madeleine wrote:
Philo Sofee wrote:Just curious. Trump 228, Clinton 197 electoral votes. 61% unfavorable to Trump, yet he's winning?! WTF?

I feel sick. Misogynist homophobe racist wannabe autocrat with a mandate.

And a house and a senate.... in two years get out and vote!!! We will want to limit the legal pussy grabbing this man is going to do to our women.....and our country
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_madeleine
_Emeritus

Post by _madeleine »

Philo Sofee wrote:
madeleine wrote:[
And a house and a senate.... in two years get out and vote!!! We will want to limit the legal pussy grabbing this man is going to do to our women.....and our country

I live in Utah. I don't know that I'll ever vote again. Not that it matters, because it doesn't. This state, I have always known is overrun with political assholes and people who repeatedly vote for them. I used to have a really dumb idea that the Utah was unique, and outside the Zion curtain was different. Call me schooled.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Being a Christian is not the result of an ethical choice or a lofty idea, but the encounter with an event, a person, which gives life a new horizon and a decisive direction -Pope Benedict XVI
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

This is a watershed election, a pivotal election in our history.

I'm shocked. I'm not the only one: watch what happens to the markets when they wake up to the news of a President-Elect Trump.

I had called the race 279 Clinton / 259 Trump. In my post I said the whole rust belt was a fascinating variable. I had no idea how fascinating. Where I missed was Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin. Give Trump credit: He cracked a big blue wall tonight, and he did it with a lot of pissed off voters.

One of the things you heard anecdotally from Trump voters was that they couldn't see how he could lose because everywhere they went they say Trump yard signs. When I read it I would think of their own built-in neighborhood bias.

Mea culpa. I was the one who was biased (Although at 279 for Clinton, I was on the mild side of deluded). Our information landscape is changing so rapidly I think it is difficult to track certain things. Was there really a 'shy' Trump voter who didn't answer straight in the polls? Or all the polls not seeing the right people, and if so why not? The polls were pretty steady, given all the news volatility of the last few weeks.

One of the great takeaways of this election: A lot of people didn't like Barack Obama, but they effing HATE Hillary Clinton. And even if you don't hate Hillary Clinton, she has neither the compassion writ large or the eloquence of the previous two Democratic Presidents.

Right now I'm still having a hard time getting my mind around what a Trump victory will mean. Initially I think the markets will take a huge dump, but start to rebound as the world gets used to the idea, however how uneasily.

A lot will depend upon how Trump behaves as President-Elect.

But then I think of his advisors: Chris Christie, the man who miraculously heard nothing during the Bridge closing, will now assist Trump draining the swamp, presumably using the same talent that enabled him to select Bridget Kelley, David Sampson and Bill Baroni will now staff the Trump administration. Roger Stone. Roger Ailes. Rudy Giuliani, Newt Gingrich. These are the men who will shaping the newbie political brain of Donald Trump for the Presidency.

And what will happen to the #neverTrump gang? Are they now a part of the Republican gulag? How does the party re-assemble itself?

And if you have more registered voters, spend half a billion dollars, have a great ground game and superior party apparatus, and you still lose, what does it mean? Is it the candidate, the message? And will all the Bernie Sanders Democrats wake up and say we want a new party as well?

Anybody feel like it's Morning in America?
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

richardMdBorn wrote:by the way, where have Democrats condemned Biden's repeated groping of women, including young girls, while he was VP.

Can Infowars be counted on for the reliability of this information? A cynic of this election might conclude that the nastier the rhetoric, the more successful the campaign.