In vino veritas

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Bach
_Emeritus

Re: In vino veritas

Post by _Bach »

Been a long standing slogan/belief with liberals but, with an”h” inserted into “vino”. I’ll let all the smart folks here comment/criticize. They all have much more time.
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

Analytics wrote:
Kishkumen wrote:In vino veritas.

That is all.

Is that the real reason the church prohibits alcohol?

:lol:
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

Bach wrote:Been a long standing slogan/belief with liberals but, with an”h” inserted into “vino”. I’ll let all the smart folks here comment/criticize. They all have much more time.

Vinho is Portuguese for wine dumbass, what the hell does that have to do with Liberals?
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Kevin Graham wrote:
Bach wrote:Been a long standing slogan/belief with liberals but, with an”h” inserted into “vino”. I’ll let all the smart folks here comment/criticize. They all have much more time.

Vinho is Portuguese for wine d__a__, what the hell does that have to do with Liberals?

You were expecting coherence from Bach? :lol:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Bach
_Emeritus

Post by _Bach »

Kevin Graham wrote:Vinho is Portuguese for wine d__a__, what the hell does that have to do with Liberals?

Like I said - I’ll wait for the smart folks on this one.
_Choyo Chagas
_Emeritus

Post by _Choyo Chagas »

As during winter, i would recommend mulled wine.

Glühwein (roughly translated as "glowing-wine", from the temperature the wine is boiled to) is popular in German-speaking countries and in the region of Alsace in France. It is a traditional beverage that is offered during the Christmas holidays. In Alsace Christmas markets, it is traditionally the only alcoholic beverage served. Due to its low alcohol degree because of the warming process, children are also allowed to drink it, while eating local pastries like gingerbread. The oldest documented Glühwein tankard is attributed to Count John IV of Katzenelnbogen,[citation needed] a German nobleman who was the first grower of Riesling grapes. This gold-plated lockable silver tankard is dated to c. 1420.

Glühwein is usually prepared from red wine, heated and spiced with cinnamon sticks, cloves, star aniseed, citrus, sugar and at times vanilla pods. It is sometimes drunk mit Schuss (with a shot), which means that rum or some other liquor has been added. Fruit wines, such as blueberry wine and cherry wine, are occasionally used instead of grape wine in some parts of Germany. There is also a variation of Glühwein which is made with white wine. However, white Glühwein is less popular than its red counterpart.

Another popular variant of Glühwein in Germany is the Feuerzangenbowle. It shares the same recipe, but for this drink a rum-soaked sugarloaf is set on fire and allowed to drip into the wine.

( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulled_wine#Gl%C3%BChwein )
Choyo Chagas is Chairman of the Big Four, the ruler of the planet from "The Bull's Hour" ( Russian: Час Быка), a social science fiction novel written by Soviet author and paleontologist Ivan Yefremov in 1968.
Six months after its publication Soviet authorities banned the book and attempted to remove it from libraries and bookshops.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

I don't know about In vino veritas but I am a big believer in

In Bourbon veritas.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

Choyo Chagas wrote:As during winter, i would recommend mulled wine.

Glühwein (roughly translated as "glowing-wine", from the temperature the wine is boiled to) is popular in German-speaking countries and in the region of Alsace in France. It is a traditional beverage that is offered during the Christmas holidays. In Alsace Christmas markets, it is traditionally the only alcoholic beverage served. Due to its low alcohol degree because of the warming process, children are also allowed to drink it, while eating local pastries like gingerbread. The oldest documented Glühwein tankard is attributed to Count John IV of Katzenelnbogen,[citation needed] a German nobleman who was the first grower of Riesling grapes. This gold-plated lockable silver tankard is dated to c. 1420.

Glühwein is usually prepared from red wine, heated and spiced with cinnamon sticks, cloves, star aniseed, citrus, sugar and at times vanilla pods. It is sometimes drunk mit Schuss (with a shot), which means that rum or some other liquor has been added. Fruit wines, such as blueberry wine and cherry wine, are occasionally used instead of grape wine in some parts of Germany. There is also a variation of Glühwein which is made with white wine. However, white Glühwein is less popular than its red counterpart.

Another popular variant of Glühwein in Germany is the Feuerzangenbowle. It shares the same recipe, but for this drink a rum-soaked sugarloaf is set on fire and allowed to drip into the wine.

( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulled_wine#Gl%C3%BChwein )

I had some at the Strasbourg market this winter. We had a choice of white or red. I prefer the red.
_Choyo Chagas
_Emeritus

Post by _Choyo Chagas »

Meadowchik wrote:I had some at the Strasbourg market this winter. We had a choice of white or red. I prefer the red.

The colour doesn't count. Watch the size of the jar...
Choyo Chagas is Chairman of the Big Four, the ruler of the planet from "The Bull's Hour" ( Russian: Час Быка), a social science fiction novel written by Soviet author and paleontologist Ivan Yefremov in 1968.
Six months after its publication Soviet authorities banned the book and attempted to remove it from libraries and bookshops.
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

Took a sip of wine once out of curiosity to see what it actually tasted like. I was not favorably impressed! I would just as soon drlnk a glass of vinegar! It was supposedly of a highly valued and respected vintage too! I do like sparkling, non-alcoholic grape juice, though, and sparkling apple cider. I have never tasted champagne, though. I suppose it's possible that I would have a better opinion of that.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison