New and Improved Fire Starter Tool for Your Wilderness Adventures

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: New and Improved Fire Starter Tool for Your Wilderness Adventures

Post by _moksha »

Follow Philo's channel and watch him make bacon wrapped shrimp. His idea for a chipolte-flavored honey glaze sounded very yummy.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:53 pm
Yes, for those who don't have the time, you glue on an extension to the ferro rod so you can strike it easier with a better striker rod like a drill bit, in an emergency to create fire, freezing to death solved. You're all welcome.
Philo.
I enjoyed the presentation and did learn a bit about how to use this device. I had my curiosity peeked enough look up and learn what ferro rod was and how it worked. That caused me to look up flint and I learned a bit about making stone tools that I was previously unclear about. All that learning sparked by your enthusiasm to learn and experiment.

Pardon me if I could not help but laughing over the attempt to use dry leaves for tinder. I find it is not so easy to get leaves to burn even with starter. I get a wood fire going vigorously then try to add the leaves.

Thinking realisticly the problems with fire in dangerous conditions only start after the spark or match. In rain and wind it can be very hard to find dry tinder or kindling. In rain and wind it can be difficult to get the heat of a fire to you to do any good keeping you warm.

I may be just talking away to people who are already fully aware of what I am going to say but here goes.

PLEASE PLEASE, do not count on making a fire to prevent hypothermia. That danger is far more safely dealt with by proper clothing and knowing where to get to shelter. I read Jack London story to build a fire when quite young and so inspired took some pride in my fire building skills. Around age 13 I and couple friends were hiking a ridge line in January when a storm of very wet snow coming horizontally arrived. we decided to go to the bottom where there was an old trail back to the road. We were getting wet and cold upon arrival at the bottom so thought to build a fire. Fantasy. I had imagined that I was pretty cleaver at hunting up spots with dry or igniteble fuels . With a couple feet of snow and rain coming down the last of those dry spots for wood soaked a month and a half earlier. Nothing was going to burn so we had to hike out to a fortunately open abandoned cabin with a roof and wall. Shelter from the storm better than a fire.

I recall camping in August in the Cascades near timber line with a nice camp fire burning when the storm came rolling over the mountain top. My fire became completely useless for warmth or shelter. My tenting and cold weather gear was inferior but I was very glad to have it. I encountered the beginning of hypothermia for real at that time ,as a result I now view good clothes and shelter as a much higher priority. Two people in an unrelated party died of exposure that night on that same mountain

A few days ago somebody died of hypothermia on Mt Rainier.Heavy wind and rain caused disorientation on the snow fields. Those are the killers

I read a scenerio from Fairly Mowett once which has stuck in my memory. He was to meet an Inuit fellow in the far north of the Canadian territories.He was able to locate the man at the predetermined meeting spot in the tundra. The fellow had a teepee shape of poles set up in the open but instead of an enclosure to keep in warmth there was only a couple skins hanging to block the wind. He was sitting there in the open at 40 below zero. His safty was all in his clothing, the top of Inuit traditional technology.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Gunnar wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:10 am
Finally watched the video. It was a bit more interesting than I thought it would be. I thought it commendable how he pointed out the shoddiness and inadequacy of off-the-shelf commercially available flint and steel fire starter tools.
See? He's good. And I bet if we asked him to put his hair in a pony for the next one, he'd do it. ;-)
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:04 pm
Gunnar wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:10 am
Finally watched the video. It was a bit more interesting than I thought it would be. I thought it commendable how he pointed out the shoddiness and inadequacy of off-the-shelf commercially available flint and steel fire starter tools.
See? He's good. And I bet if we asked him to put his hair in a pony for the next one, he'd do it. ;-)
That's coming up shortly, just a little longer, and its going pony tail! Thanks Jersey!
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:12 am

That's coming up shortly, just a little longer, and its going pony tail! Thanks Jersey!
Gah bless, honey! Gunnar thinks real men don't wear ponies. I respectfully disagree. :-)
Chinese Proverb
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:31 am
Gunnar thinks real men don't wear ponies. I respectfully disagree. :-)
Gunnar said that? I want verification before I comment on him having said that.

On the issue of real men and pony tails... Of course some real men have them. Some real men are gay, too. Some wear dresses and drink tea with their pinkies in the air. Others drive trucks dressed in old ripped jeans and a T, fart in bed with their wives, and stink if they wait too long between showers. These are all real men.

Pretty sure they aren't faking it, anyway.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Let me get this straight. You want me to find a series of exchanges on a broken board? You're a right pain in the ass, Schmo.

Gunnar and I started talking about it on a now obscure thread. Then, I mentioned it in this thread where he basically mocked the idea.

http://mormondiscussions.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53674

PS is not gay, doesn't wear dresses, drink tea with his pinky in the air and even if he did, he'd still be a real guy-guy pony or not.

So there.
Chinese Proverb
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:54 am
Let me get this straight. You want me to find a series of exchanges on a broken board? You're a right pain in the ass, Schmo.
I wasn't expecting that - I was looking for Gunnar to actually chime in. I appreciate your effort though. Seriously, I do, given the mentioned state of the board.
Gunnar and I started talking about it on a now obscure thread. Then, I mentioned it in this thread where he basically mocked the idea.
Yeah, I read all of his posts in that thread. There was no mention of real men and pony tails. I got that he was lamenting he couldn't grow a good one. I feel for him, there.
PS is not gay, doesn't wear dresses, drink tea with his pinky in the air and even if he did, he'd still be a real guy-guy pony or not.

So there.
Wasn't trying to suggest PS is gay. It's not a big deal (certainly not a criticism) if he is.

All I was trying to say is that real men come in all shapes and sizes; that's it. I suppose part of me wanted to say that gay men and straight men are equally real. It was one of those posts I write sometimes where I impersonate Shades a little and take something hyper-literally just for kicks.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

Some Schmo wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:08 am
Yeah, I read all of his posts in that thread. There was no mention of real men and pony tails. I got that he was lamenting he couldn't grow a good one. I feel for him, there.
You got it right, I did not disparage anyone for wearing ponytails, and I did lament that I would have difficulty growing a good one, even if I wanted to (which I don't, by the way). If I had to choose between growing ponytail and just shaving my head bald, I would most likely choose the latter. I'm just not comfortable with having long hair.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Gunnar is so mean to me. :sad:
Chinese Proverb