Musk has jumped the shark

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Vēritās
God

Re: Musk has jumped the shark

Post by Vēritās »

canpakes wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:45 pm
But, why would that be happening in the afterlife, anyway?
Haven't you heard? Ajax's afterlife is a KKK's utopia. Makes sense really given the history of Mormon doctrine. Joseph Smith made it perfectly clear only the white and delightsome enter the celestial kingdom. The whole point of being dark skinned was just a punishment. A punishment to whom?

To those who were "rebellious" in the preexistence. Whatever the hell that means, it is obvious they believe we have social interactions in the spirit world just like we do here. Interactions that involve bickering, debates, conflicts, wars, etc. I wonder how many of those spirits talk about what it will be like in the after-afterlife when such annoying activities won't be an issue. For me (if I were forced to live forever) that would be a true heaven.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Musk had himself quite the day yesterday. Twitter issued a new rule that literally prevented users from posting links to a specified list of other social media sites. Not only was this likely to result in enormous fines in EU countries, Musk described Twitter as "journalism," which would mean that Twitter was no longer eligible for protection against lawsuits based on the content of user posts. If user tried to include a link to certain of those sites, the system would refuse to accept the post, describing the site as presenting some kind of malicious malware.

Within 24 hours, the new rule disappeared, along with related tweets from Twitter staff and Musk. Even after it disappeared, I saw users report that they still could not include links to some of the prohibited social media sites. It's chaos.

It's this kind of knee jerk action and chaos that is pushing content creators, in addition to the harassment and abuse by those that were formally banned.

I've been using Twitter as a source of information and references for finding papers or long form articles published elsewhere. It's been a great tool for that. But as those kinds of sources go elsewhere, only to be replaced by randos pontificating on topics they know little to nothing about, it's value to me diminishes. It's Musk's company and he can do what he wants with it. But his management of the company has reduced the site's value to me so much that other sites have become better sources for what I want.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Hawkeye wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:36 pm
Me explaining that to you would not be helpful. If you don't believe in it, it wouldn't make sense to you. Don't worry about it.
Try me.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:30 pm
. . . the vast majority of sources I've followed for information on the pandemic and public health issues, as well as important legal cases, have moved to substack (which allows nice long form articles, but to get all the content you have to purchase a subscription for each author), mastodon (which is not well developed at this point) or Post (which I'm on the waitlist for, but am skeptical of).

Res, is ‘substack’ the same as ‘Substack Reader’ in the app store?
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:39 pm
I've been using Twitter as a source of information and references for finding papers or long form articles published elsewhere. It's been a great tool for that. But as those kinds of sources go elsewhere, only to be replaced by randos pontificating on topics they know little to nothing about, it's value to me diminishes. It's Musk's company and he can do what he wants with it. But his management of the company has reduced the site's value to me so much that other sites have become better sources for what I want.
It’s been a year since my wife and I deleted all of our social media, with the exception of Instagram which we only use with three people and it's 99% for the chat feature. I think you basically hit the nail on the head with regard to to ‘value’. I deleted my Reddit account (obviously I just lurk now), NextDoor, Facebook, Twitter, and accounts tied to media for commenting purposes. ‘Value’ to me was being outweighed by nonsense, as it resulted in a mental and emotional debt to my own, mmm, spiritual balance. It’s really something to radically alter one’s attachments, and then notice the difference it makes in your day to day habits and interactions.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Vēritās wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:04 pm
canpakes wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:45 pm
Haven't you heard? Ajax's afterlife is a KKK's utopia.
LOL

Once again, we see how a person's view of god is completely dependent on what they value. The vast majority of people describe god as various degrees of loving, but not ajax. His god is a white supremacist who apparently hates most of his creation.

How could it be more obvious that people create the god they want?

Man, that's damned funny.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

For you, hard work in the form getting your ass out of bed and doing your job comes pretty easy. Accepting others is very difficult. That's the real test. You have to love your neighbor, including liberals and people of other races, and especially people who are lazy and on welfare. You have to love people on welfare more than anything else in the world. That's what your gospel says. You're clinging to what you hope might be a technicality, but no prophet has ever interpreted the banishment of Satan to mean you can just flip a switch and live your life in a silo only loving and accepting people that you deem worthy.
Well lucky for Schmo and Veritas they'll never be expected to love me. I'm not the only one incapable of loving those that hate you.

I know this is a difficult question given that you're a nonbeliever but do you think God loves the devil according to Mormon theology? Why would God kick him out of Heaven, deny him a body, and halt his progression?
and especially people who are lazy and on welfare.
If that's what it takes to go to the Celestial kingdom (being a perpetual servant to these moochers and forever striving to enjoy it), I'll be the first to admit I won't be going. I seriously doubt the majority of people in this world are going to sign up for an eternity of that, not willingly anyway.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

canpakes wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:56 pm
Hawkeye wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:36 pm
Me explaining that to you would not be helpful. If you don't believe in it, it wouldn't make sense to you. Don't worry about it.
Try me.
Jesus said, "Do not cast your pearls before swine, neither give that which is holy to the dogs."
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Hawkeye wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:22 pm
canpakes wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:56 pm

Try me.
Jesus said, "Do not cast your pearls before swine, neither give that which is holy to the dogs."
-_-

I’m sorry, but this is just too rich to not pass up. A damned neo-Nazi who hates his wife, craps on POCs constantly, and is probably the most miserable man alive (self-admitted) has pearls too precious to cast in front of swine? Ok, buddy. We’ve seen your “pearls” and they’re about as precious as Trump’s NFTs. Whatever morality you think you possess has been ripped off from other religions and marketed to you for consumption. You don’t actually possess an ethos that’s interesting or something to emulate.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:07 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:39 pm
It’s been a year since my wife and I deleted all of our social media, with the exception of Instagram which we only use with three people and it's 99% for the chat feature. I think you basically hit the nail on the head with regard to to ‘value’. I deleted my Reddit account (obviously I just lurk now), NextDoor, Facebook, Twitter, and accounts tied to media for commenting purposes. ‘Value’ to me was being outweighed by nonsense, as it resulted in a mental and emotional debt to my own, mmm, spiritual balance. It’s really something to radically alter one’s attachments, and then notice the difference it makes in your day to day habits and interactions.

- Doc
I hear you. So far, I haven't deleted accounts. But I do take periodic media/social media fasts, where I just unplug and stay connected with my immediate environment. I think "spiritual balance" captures the experience. It's like the benefit I get from meditation, but at a much greater magnitude.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.