Wondering about Atheist Programs for Children

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Wondering about Atheist Programs for Children

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

KevinSim wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:41 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:58 pm
The childrens services are similar. Tack on school and extracurricular activities the children and teens in our area don’t lack for things to do, social activities, nor opportunities for personal growth. I don’t really understand KS’s premise for the topic.
Doc, I didn't really have a premise. I was just curious what options were available for atheist parents; obviously there are many.
Well, yeah. I raised my girls as atheists, and they’ve both grown into really nice people. The oldest DMs DnD sessions with her fiancé, she has a nice career, was accepted into Penn State University, owns a home, has cats, has travelled to Japan for fun, and is planning to have a child shortly. She has a pretty good life. The youngest bought her house this year, is in school, has a long-term boyfriend, has cats, is as nice as can be, and likes to go to EDM festivals. She’s also a budding gardener. So, you know, pretty all right lives.

When they were kids they did all the things kids do like soccer, sleepovers, trick or treating, riding bikes, etc. So, going back to your OP, no, atheists really don’t have programs for kids. And they don’t really need atheist programs. Totally unnecessary.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

KevinSim wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:31 am
Marcus wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:02 am
Where's my exactly do you live, KS, that you face such limited and restrictive opportunities?
Springville, Utah.
Nice town. Our relatives have some artwork in your museum, too. : )

Before we moved to UT, Springville was on our short list of places to purchase a home.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:45 am
. . . no, atheists really don’t have programs for kids.
They kind of do. The program is called, ‘childhood’.
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Marcus wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:25 pm
It’s pretty clear ks’s strategy backfired on him here.
Marcus, does everybody have to have an ulterior motive for everything? Is it impossible for a devout Latter-day Saint (like me) to just be curious how atheists find productive activities for their children? My strategy didn't backfire; my strategy was to ask a question and see if I could get an answer; and that strategy was very successful; it got many answers.
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Morley wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:25 pm
Marcus wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:49 am
I just wanted to follow up on this. kevinsims, I am having a very difficult time believing you don’t know how offensive this is. And if, by some some small chance you didn’t mean it to be offensive, then the level of naïveté exhibited here is monumental.

What exactly was your intent in making this post?
Oh, he knows it was offensive. This is Kevin proffering his middle finger after being laughed off his why-can't-I have-another-wife polygamy thread.
Morley, I did not know it was offensive. And you know what? I still don't know it's offensive. What is there about expressing my curiosity over how atheists find productive activities for their children, that is offensive?
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Morley wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:35 am
KevinSim wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:29 am
Do atheists have programs like this for their young children?
Kevin, your pretended naïvety is charming.

Substitute other identities into that sentence and see if you can see why the question might be offensive.

Do Catholics have programs like this for their young children?
Do Muslims have programs like this for their young children?
Do Black folks have programs like this for their young children?
Do Jews have programs like this for their young children?
Do Italians have programs like this for their young children?
Good point. I like how canpakes’ response works for everyone:

“Well, sort of. It’s called childhood.”
:D
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

KevinSim wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:24 pm
Is it impossible for a devout Latter-day Saint (like me) to just be curious how atheists find productive activities for their children?
In the context of your opening question, tell me what you mean by, ‘productive’.
Morley
God
Location: Jan van Eyck, Portrait of a Man (Self Portrait), 1433

Post by Morley »

Morley wrote:
Oh, he knows it was offensive. This is Kevin proffering his middle finger after being laughed off his why-can't-I have-another-wife polygamy thread.
KevinSim wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:29 pm
Morley, I did not know it was offensive. And you know what? I still don't know it's offensive. What is there about expressing my curiosity over how atheists find productive activities for their children, that is offensive?

Kevin, please respond the post below.

Morley wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:35 am
Kevin, your pretended naïvety is charming.

Substitute other identities into that sentence and see if you can see why the question might be offensive.

Do Catholics have programs like this for their young children?
Do Muslims have programs like this for their young children?
Do Black folks have programs like this for their young children?
Do Jews have programs like this for their young children?
Do Italians have programs like this for their young children?
If you had asked, "Do gay parents have programs like this for their young children?" might that have been considered either hopelessly stupid or despairingly bigoted?

And if that's the case, wouldn't it be just as bad if you asked a similar question about atheists?
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

KevinSim wrote:
Morley wrote:
My view is it is less about offensiveness as it is a dumb question. There isn't much today about it beyond the person who asked it is obviously either ignorant or what atheism means or being an ass about it. Maybe the latter could lead some to view it as offensive but I prefer to see both as just stupidity at work.
Morley
God
Location: Jan van Eyck, Portrait of a Man (Self Portrait), 1433

Post by Morley »

KevinSim wrote:
honorentheos wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:04 pm
My view is it is less about offensiveness as it is a dumb question. There isn't much today about it beyond the person who asked it is obviously either ignorant or what atheism means or being an ass about it. Maybe the latter could lead some to view it as offensive but I prefer to see both as just stupidity at work.
You're probably right. I was giving Kevin the benefit of the doubt that he was smarter than that.