Why are Humans living longer?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Vēritās
God

Why are Humans living longer?

Post by Vēritās »

After hearing a talk about the speed of light by Neil DeGrasse Tyson, watching Interstellar for the 12th time, and then skimming through the thread about gravity... I began wondering if maybe the reason we've been living longer as a species has at least something to do with the fact that we're traveling much faster than ever before.

Thanks to the laws of the universe, the faster we move, the slower time passes for us. If we're traveling at 99.9% the speed of light time nearly comes to a complete halt, but even traveling in cars on a regular basis means we're getting around much faster than we were 200 years ago in horse-pulled wagons.

Then when you consider bullet trains and airlines pushing millions of humans around the globe at 200-500 MPH ....

Thoughts?
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Valo
Teacher

Re: Why are Humans living longer?

Post by Valo »

Pre-flood people were living for hundreds of years. I wonder why you think humans are living longer now?

Veritas means "truth", right?
Imwashingmypirate
God

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Vēritās wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 3:33 pm
After hearing a talk about the speed of light by Neil DeGrasse Tyson, watching Interstellar for the 12th time, and then skimming through the thread about gravity... I began wondering if maybe the reason we've been living longer as a species has at least something to do with the fact that we're traveling much faster than ever before.

Thanks to the laws of the universe, the faster we move, the slower time passes for us. If we're traveling at 99.9% the speed of light time nearly comes to a complete halt, but even traveling in cars on a regular basis means we're getting around much faster than we were 200 years ago in horse-pulled wagons.

Then when you consider bullet trains and airlines pushing millions of humans around the globe at 200-500 MPH ....

Thoughts?
AHH.. so that's why when I can't be bothered in the morning time disappears and I end up rushing to get the kids to school on time lol. I drifted to sleep this afternoon. I've been falling asleep for the past few days. And I woke up in a panic thinking I had slept for ages. Looked at the time and only 10 minutes had passed since I had last looked at the time. I must have needed that snooze.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Vēritās wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 3:33 pm

Thoughts?
Interesting thought, but I don't think you've fully accounted for the theory of special relativity: 99.9% of the speed of light relative to what?

If you're interested, you can calculate the effect of time dilation on a person who moves at 500 mph relative to another person for 90 years. There may even be an online calculator somewhere that will do it for you.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

At speeds in the hundreds of mph, we're talking tiny fractions of seconds "gained." For example, if you take a 6 hour flight, going about 550 mph, you'd end up getting an additional 0.000001 seconds. If you flew around for an entire year at that speed, you'd still not gain a full second.

At 25% of the speed of light (around 167 million mph), time slows by about 3%, just to give you an idea of just how miniscule of a change a couple hundred mph would be.

To even measure the amount of time saved in the hundreds of mph requires an atomic clock.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

I found a calculator. The relativistic time dilation for traveling for 90 years at 500 mph is .00000000254 years.
he/him

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 4:02 pm
At speeds in the hundreds of mph, we're talking tiny fractions of seconds "gained." For example, if you take a 6 hour flight, going about 550 mph, you'd end up getting an additional 0.000001 seconds. If you flew around for an entire year at that speed, you'd still not gain a full second.

At 25% of the speed of light (around 167 million mph), time slows by about 3%, just to give you an idea of just how miniscule of a change a couple hundred mph would be.

To even measure the amount of time saved in the hundreds of mph requires an atomic clock.
Cheater, cheater. Your airplane example left out general relativity. Checkmate, scientist!
he/him

Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 4:14 pm
Doctor Steuss wrote:

Cheater, cheater. Your airplane example left out general relativity. Checkmate, scientist!
Summumabish.
Imwashingmypirate
God

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Doctor Steuss wrote:

Whatever you gain you lose again anyway.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 4:13 pm
I found a calculator. The relativistic time dilation for traveling for 90 years at 500 mph is .00000000254 years
Wow. I figured there was a way to calculate it but I didn't think it would be that miniscule. Even if we're talking about air line pilots or flight attendants that spend a third of their life traveling close to the speed of sound, it seems like that wouldn't even buy them an extra day.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18