Doubting Thomas?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
IWMP
Pirate

Doubting Thomas?

Post by IWMP »

Why did you choose the name doubting Thomas? Are you LDS with doubts?
doubtingthomas
God

Re: Doubting Thomas?

Post by doubtingthomas »

I don't believe in the LDS church anymore.

Doubting Thomas is "a person who is unlikely to believe something until they see proof of it."

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries. ... ing-thomas

I first heard of the term Doubting Thomas while listening to a podcast.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
IWMP
Pirate

Post by IWMP »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 9:24 pm
I don't believe in the LDS church anymore.

Doubting Thomas is "a person who is unlikely to believe something until they see proof of it."

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries. ... ing-thomas

I first heard of the term Doubting Thomas while listening to a podcast.
AHH cool. I never heard of that before. I wonder what other terms there are that include names.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

This term refers to the following incident in the New Testament, describing one of Jesus' appearances after his resurrection, and the skeptical reaction of the disciple Thomas on being told of it:

John 20:
24 But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came.

25 The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.

26 And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you.

27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.

28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.

29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 9:55 pm
AHH cool. I never heard of that before. I wonder what other terms there are that include names.
Yes, and what Chap said above. Me too.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll: