No. The problem was that the real names, email addresses, and street addresses--which I DON'T know--of people who donate would BECOME known to me. I don't want, or need, to know people's personal information.
DiscussMormonism.com Collection Cup
- Dr. Shades
- Founder and Visionary
- Posts: 3265
- Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:48 pm
Re: DiscussMormonism.com Collection Cup
.
"When the Mormon God requires a PR crisis to act moral, we've clearly outgrown him."
--Everybody Wang Chung, 06-01-2026
"When the Mormon God requires a PR crisis to act moral, we've clearly outgrown him."
--Everybody Wang Chung, 06-01-2026
- Jersey Girl
- God
- Posts: 9461
- Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:51 am
- Location: In my head
Re: DiscussMormonism.com Collection Cup
So...where are we at with this? If you have a link you can send it to me via PM.Dr. Shades wrote: ↑Wed Oct 07, 2026 4:35 pmNo. The problem was that the real names, email addresses, and street addresses--which I DON'T know--of people who donate would BECOME known to me. I don't want, or need, to know people's personal information.
“Do you hate people? I don't hate them...I just feel better when they're not around.” ― Charles Bukowski, Barfly
LIGHT HAS A NAME
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF
Slava Ukraini!
LIGHT HAS A NAME
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF
Slava Ukraini!
-
Marcus
- God
- Posts: 8120
- Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:44 pm
Re: DiscussMormonism.com Collection Cup
Oh, you're serious. This is not advice, but in my opinion you're not asking for large enough individual donations nor are you operating a 501c-3 (as far as I know) so you don't need that kind of escrow account in order to simply avoid the appearance of unethical behavior by putting donations into your personal account.Dr. Shades wrote: ↑Wed Oct 07, 2026 4:35 pmNo. The problem was that the real names, email addresses, and street addresses--which I DON'T know--of people who donate would BECOME known to me. I don't want, or need, to know people's personal information.
Anonymity of donors is still a separate issue, regardless of what account you stash the cash in prior to paying the bill.
-
Marcus
- God
- Posts: 8120
- Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:44 pm
Re: DiscussMormonism.com Collection Cup
Thanks for the extra information, Gad, I didn't see your post before i responded to Shades. I think GoFundMe is answering from a position of having to have one format to accommodate all sizes and sources of donations and types of funds and the accompanying IRS reporting requirements. I agree security and fraud issues are the reasons they can't fully anonymize the process.Gadianton wrote: ↑Wed Oct 07, 2026 2:23 pmConcerning "anonymous" donations, I don't think it's going to happen. Granted, I have zero experience with either ecommerce or non-profits or starting a business of any kind, as Hound correctly observes. If somebody knows a way to do it, feel free to message Shades directly or myself, or bring it up here to discuss. My initial research seemed to indicate this was possible, and I pushed Shades in a certain direction fully believing that this would be achieved. When it wasn't, I went back to research it and my research suddenly indicated it was a hard "no". I thought this had been achieved last year, with Gofundme, and the only person who could say for sure, says that donations were anonymous going that route. However, this is what gofundme says:
support.gofundme.com/hc/en-us/articles/203687114-Donating-as-Anonymous-on-the-fundraiser-page
So according to gofundme, it's NOT possible to set up for anonymous donations. It could be this is new, see the date, or was always the case the the person who would know best wasn't looking at the right view and didn't realize they could access PII. My initial misunderstanding may also have come from the possibility some platforms have of limiting PII through coding, but not fundamentally.July 17, 2026 Updated
When donating on GoFundMe, you can make it so your name won’t be visible to the public on the fundraiser page. For security reasons, you can’t make an entirely anonymous donation, and the organizer, co-organizers, beneficiary, and others will be able to see your name and, sometimes, email address.
The reason a simple thing is so difficult to achieve is all about fraud and money laundering, apparently. So the most official link Shades is going to have for now is here:
https://buy.stripe.com/7sYfZj2QPfvna6cchIcjS01
I did a test donation and he says he got it no problems. If you want to be extra cautious, wait to donate until Friday as Shades has a couple days here without access to one of his authentication factors and so he's not watching it. This could lead to overshooting.
But, it's not worth the trouble on your end as I seem to be the only one asking about it, so I'll figure out something on my end.
Thanks again for all your time and help!!