Happy Treason Weasel Day!!

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Happy Treason Weasel Day!!

Post by Res Ipsa »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:02 pm
Will the left wing dismiss the right-wing rioters with the same pat on the head that they dismissed their own rioters?
Shades, I had no rioters, and it’s pretty damn insulting to suggest otherwise. This was an attack on the government of the United States, using force to interrupt the constitutionally mandated peaceful transfer of power. I never want to hear the words Blue Lives Matter cross the lips of a Trump supporter ever again.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Will the left wing dismiss the right-wing rioters with the same pat on the head that they dismissed their own rioters?
Both sides have been occasionally enjoying a 'pat on the head' for a while now. As example:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aYovZYJY9Wo
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:13 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:40 pm
Treason Weasels! https://Twitter.com/reedgalen/status/13 ... 74471?s=21
Someone once asked me how long does it take a Republic to implode and become unrecognizable to someone born and raised in it. I said, "Hrm. Probably about 20 years." I joined the Army in 1995. I retired in 2015. Trump was elected in 2016. I want you to read that Twitter post, and think, very hard, what the Grand Old Party has allowed to happen in our nation's Capitol today.

If you ever wondered why I have such a vitriolic reaction to the jenius and Xanax's sedition, you just witnessed what their BS bought us. I don't think there'll be a 2nd Civil War; it's all tongue-in-cheek crap posting, but that... I'll never let that go.

- Doc
Me neither.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Frankly Dr Shades, your words sicken me. I never thought that you could sink to such petty partisanship in the face of this terrible national disgrace - which shocks and dismays those who, like me, have long looked hopefully towards America and hoped for it to show the best side of its nature once more.

This is not a question of left and right. Its Trump's own very speshul people against the rest. What do you think Mitch McConnell thinks when he says:
We’re debating a step that has never been taken in American history, whether Congress should overrule the voters and overturn a presidential election. I’ve served 36 years in the Senate. This will be the most important vote I’ve ever cast.

President Trump claims the election was stolen. The assertions range from specific local allegations to constitutional arguments to sweeping conspiracy theories.

I’ve supported the president’s right to use the legal system, dozens of lawsuits, perceived hearings in courtrooms all across our country. But over and over the courts rejected these claims — including all-star judges whom the president himself has nominated. Every election we know features some illegality and irregularity, and of course that’s unacceptable. I support strong, state-led voting reforms. Last year’s bizarre pandemic procedures must not become the new norm.

But my colleagues, nothing before us proves illegality anywhere near the massive scale — the massive scale — that would have tipped the entire election. Nor can public doubt alone justify a radical break, when the doubt itself was incited without any evidence. The constitution gives us here in Congress a limited role. We cannot simply declare ourselves a national board of elections on steroids.

The voters, the courts and the states have all spoken. They’ve all spoken. If we overrule them, it would damage our republic forever.
This election actually was not unusually close. Just in recent history, 1976, 2000, and 2004 were all closer than this one. The electoral college margin is almost identical to what it was in 2016. If this election were overturned by mere allegations from the losing side, our democracy would enter a death spiral. We’d never see the whole nation accept an election again. Every four years would be a scramble for power at any cost. The electoral college, which most of us on this side have been defending for years, would cease to exist, leaving many of our states with no real say at all in choosing a president. The effects would go even beyond the elections themselves.

Self-government, my colleagues, requires a shared commitment to the truth. And a shared respect for the ground rules of our system. We cannot keep drifting apart into two separate tribes with a separate set of facts and separate realities with nothing in common except our hostility towards each other and mistrust for the few national institutions that we all still share.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

Dr. Shades wrote:
So after watching a mob take control of the Capital Building to interfere with the duly constituted democratic transfer of power, your primary concern is what the left felt about the George Floyd protests, some of which turned violent?

Nice stab at whataboutism. As far as I remember, Congress wasn't locked down inside the Capitol during those protests. If you want to compare apples to apples, go back to 2000. How many disaffected Democrats stormed the Capital? Bill Clinton and Al Gore did not tell people to protest the election results, even though they won the popular vote, and the margin in Florida was razor-thin, far thinner than Trump's margin in any of the contested states in the 2020 contest. This has been a protest aided and abetted by the President of the United States.

The actual boxes containing the electoral votes had to be physically rescued from the floor of the Senate. So explain to me why these apples are like the other apples.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Chap wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:17 pm
Dr. Shades wrote:
Frankly Dr Shades, your words sicken me. I never thought that you could sink to such petty partisanship in the face of this terrible national disgrace[.]
So, is that a "yes" or a "no?"
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Dr. Shades wrote:
You have sunk to a new low.

I honestly thought better of you, Shades.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Shades has turned into the jenius part 2. It’s just drive-by crap stirring. He doesn’t actually discuss much of anything on, you know, this discussion board. So. Good luck with getting some depth out that puddle.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Your reaction to rioters storming the US Capitol, during a session of Congress, while it is performing the electoral count of the next president, is "What about BLM?".
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:24 pm
Dr. Shades wrote:
So after watching a mob take control of the Capital Building to interfere with the duly constituted democratic transfer of power, your primary concern is what the left felt about the George Floyd protests, some of which turned violent?
Absolutely not. I'm against violence in any form other than self-defense. . . yes, even during a riot.

. . . and I'm also against giving a free pass to violence. I'm a Libertarian, so both the far left and the far right are equally odious to me. I can't forgive violence no matter which ideology is being advanced by its perpetrators. In this case, my sole focus is on whether there will be any consistency from the partisan commenters, regardless of their politics.

For some good entertainment, take a look at the one source that's broadcasting from the right-wingers' point of view. Click on the second image from the top:

https://www.infowars.com/posts/watch-li ... ington-dc/
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024