The Party of Sedition

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: The Party of Sedition

Post by Res Ipsa »

Hey, Shades has his own politics and he generally holds back to let the conversation go its own way. I disagree with things Shades sometimes and I can get mad at things Shades says sometimes, but I can do that with people I respect. Shades has my respect, even when I really really really disagree with something he posts.

ETA: I think Shades was contrasting a pure democracy with a form of government that protects the rights of the minority. If that’s what he was doing, I agree with his description. Without something that guarantees rights to minorities, Democracy easily becomes tyranny.
Last edited by Res Ipsa on Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

I'm merely pointing out the inconsistency. I've always liked Shades, but I'm noticing a disturbing trend with him lately. Maybe he's just caught up with what's happening today. He should maybe step back and realize that for a libertarian, this crap is the opposite of what you'd want.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Some Schmo wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:33 pm
I had no idea you were an authoritarian. That's pretty strange for someone who purports to value free speech. . . It occurs to me that Shades' claim of a sort of libertarianism must be an illusion he keeps, because the way he's talking today, he'd be a lot more comfortable living in Russia.
Hold the phone. . . do you believe that the only alternative to pure democracy is authoritarianism?
Res Ipsa wrote:I think Shades was contrasting a pure democracy with a form of government that protects the rights of the minority.
Yes, that was EXACTLY what I was doing. That's why, although our republic incorporates many democratic elements, it was nevertheless set up to reflect "rule of law," not "the majority rules."
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:04 pm
Hold the phone. . . do you believe that the only alternative to pure democracy is authoritarianism?
No, those are a couple ends of a spectrum. The things you've been saying slide toward the authoritarian end.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

You shouldn't interpret the things I've said that way. My only message is that if the breakdown of law and order is dismiss-able in one instance, then it darn well better be dismiss-able in all other instances, too. . . regardless of politics.

(NOTE: My words are NOT to be interpreted as dismissing the jackasses in Washington, D.C. today. The correct interpretation is that I dismiss NO jackasses, regardless of the cause they purport to espouse.)
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:19 pm
You shouldn't interpret the things I've said that way. My only message is that if the breakdown of law and order is dismiss-able in one instance, then it darn well better be dismiss-able in all other instances, too. . . regardless of politics.
Okay, sure, I agree with that. I suppose it goes to a question Morley asked: who here patted rioters on the head?

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Dr. Shades wrote:

(NOTE: My words are NOT to be interpreted as dismissing the jackasses in Washington, D.C. today. The correct interpretation is that I dismiss NO jackasses, regardless of the cause they purport to espouse.)
I agree. I, for one, am thrilled that they caught this guy. https://mltnews.com/edmonds-man-pleads- ... trol-cars/
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Dr. Shades wrote:
I missed this, and I appreciate the explicit clarification, Shades.

I still think you are ignoring the condemnation of violence from the left toward people opportunistically using BLM protests to riot.

Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:50 pm
Hey, Shades has his own politics and he generally holds back to let the conversation go its own way. I disagree with things Shades sometimes and I can get mad at things Shades says sometimes, but I can do that with people I respect. Shades has my respect, even when I really really really disagree with something he posts.

ETA: I think Shades was contrasting a pure democracy with a form of government that protects the rights of the minority. If that’s what he was doing, I agree with his description. Without something that guarantees rights to minorities, Democracy easily becomes tyranny.
I agree that if that was all he meant, I must withdraw (or, at least, soften) my condemnation of him.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Gunnar wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:04 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:50 pm
I agree that if that was all he meant, I must withdraw (or, at least, soften) my condemnation of him.
Gunnar, that's PRECISELY what I meant. Hence the reason for my comment, "Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner." Maybe I should've put the word "pure" in front of the word "democracy."

The sheep in this scenario = the minorities in a purely democratic society.