LDS Teenager Murdered at her High School in Parkland

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Re: LDS Teenager Murdered at her High School in Parkland

Post by _Kevin Graham »

Starbuck wrote:So if you are talking assault rifles they are already pretty hard and expensive for a civillian to obtain. If you're talking semi auto rifles I am pretty sure one could find varying opinions of vets on this topic.

There is absolutely no difficulty in obtaining these weapons. I have friends on Facebook here in redneck Georgia who are CONSTANTLY posting youtube clips of the latest and greatest weapons on the market, and it is all about getting more shots off with smaller guns. Here is one they're super excited about. A glock pistol that has been modified to fire hundreds of rounds in a minute. Looks like a mass killer's fantasy gun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub4OswUhLwo

Starbuck wrote:Am I suppose to look past the irony of military/exmilitary asking for civilians to give up the right to bear arms?

No irony in having military personnel who are moral, educated and understand the Constitution better than you do.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Maksutov wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:
We're not only talking about dead kids, Mak.

We're also talking about every other student and teacher/adult who was exposed to the shooting who experienced trauma. Trauma that has likely (to date) gone untreated. Trauma resulting in PTSD (that needs to be treated immediately), anxiety/depression and ultimately ideation of suicide.

We're also talking about every parent and sibling who was subject to trauma that day.

This isn't just about 17 dead kids and the physically injured.

Thanks, Jersey. It throws a long shadow. And how many millions of little American kids are listening to their TVs about this horror, wondering why anyone would want to kill them and why the grownups don't seem to care.

I was teaching the morning of 9/11. I was also administrator of the school. I had 4 year olds in my classroom building twin towers on the lego table, using fire trucks and airplanes to act out the attack. I recorded their comments on cassette tape. I played it for parents during Oct. conferences. Parents were shocked that their children picked up on the details of the terrorist attack. They had tried to hide their conversations and limit news viewing when their children were around.

It doesn't work that way. Children may not understand everything they hear. They are definitely tuning in right now, confused, and afraid to go to school.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

The shooter had upwards of 30 calls for domestic violence between 2011 and 2016, with the most recent being Sep 2016. He managed to purchase the AR in Feb 2017.

FBI had a report on him in early Jan 2018.

Authorities had at least (at least!) 2 chances to flag this guy and they failed. My understanding is that the local authorities on the 30 DV calls failed to arrest him, failed at times to document, he had his therapist on site at least a few times (that I recall) and was medicated to calm him down. I don't know if he was 18 on that last DV call or not. If he was, he needed to be arrested, documented and that could have put a stop to his buying the AR via background check.

And then?

The FBI failed to follow through on the report early Jan.

And?

We've got 17 funerals and that's just the beginning of folks dealing with this tragedy in Florida.

It's one thing when we talk about how family members and friends should have addressed this guy's issues. It's a whole nuther thing entirely when the gd local authorities who should have documented drop the ball, and the friggin' FBI fails to follow through on the report.
Chinese Proverb
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I know this is really crazy, but you know what would've prevented 17 people from being murdered and 19(?) others from being wounded?

No firearms.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Starbuck wrote:Am I suppose to look past the irony of military/exmilitary asking for civilians to give up the right to bear arms?

I don't see the irony. Maybe we understand what these things can do because it's not an abstraction?

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Starbuck
_Emeritus

Post by _Starbuck »

Kevin Graham wrote:
Starbuck wrote:So if you are talking assault rifles they are already pretty hard and expensive for a civillian to obtain. If you're talking semi auto rifles I am pretty sure one could find varying opinions of vets on this topic.

There is absolutely no difficulty in obtaining these weapons. I have friends on Facebook here in redneck Georgia who are CONSTANTLY posting youtube clips of the latest and greatest weapons on the market, and it is all about getting more shots off with smaller guns. Here is one they're super excited about. A glock pistol that has been modified to fire hundreds of rounds in a minute. Looks like a mass killer's fantasy gun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub4OswUhLwo

No irony in having military personnel who are moral, educated and understand the Constitution better than you do.

Posting videos from an Iraqivet that includes a glock with a NFA registered auto sear (hard to get). Brilliant.

If you have videos of hillbillies modifying glocks to fire full auto without the NFA registered sear please report it to the ATF or FBI.
We accept the reality of the world with which we're presented. It's as simple as that. ~ Christof
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

Markk wrote:What is wrong with having a weapon in a home for self defense?

I've never said there is anything wrong with it. As I explained, most gun people don't have "a weapon in the home for self defense", they have a collection of guns for the sake of collecting them, and for shooting in the desert, and self-defense is a justification and an afterthought for most. Some, like my friend, have come to realize their defense carries some serious legal liability once they get a whiff of a real confrontation. If you want control advocates to be honest about their aims, maybe gun enthusiasts should be honest about why they own them in the first place.

Markk wrote:all guns banned. He is honest enough to state that is his desire...what about you?

I typically don't want things that I think are unrealistic. Sure, I'd take a billion dollars, and I'd be okay with guns getting banned totally, but I don't *want* guns banned completely anymore than I *want* a billion dollars.

Markk wrote:Let me throw this out also...what creates a school shooter? What plays a larger roll at the root of the problem?

It's a complicated problem, very possibly including the hypocritical position of Hollywood liberals who make billions off of movies that glorify guns. But one aspect of the problem has a more clear link to the crime than all the others and straightforward means for prevention. That's where we should start. Interestingly, I don't see the NRA campaigning to ban media that glorifies guns. I wonder why that is?

would I ban media that glorifies guns? No.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Starbuck
_Emeritus

Post by _Starbuck »

Jersey Girl wrote:
That's it? I could have quoted weeping politicians with NRA dollars in their accounts to get that.

Are you at all familiar with the Florida shooter? Last time I checked (and I haven't checked the past few days, I'm taking a break here from a project) both the FBI and local authorities dropped the ball on this kid.

You don't see any room for improvement on the part of those two authorities?

Apparantly you know more of what the NRA talking points are than I do. I am not a member and never will be.

Of course those traumatized by this event should get help. Every time one of these events happens it tears families apart and traumatizes all involved.

If the FBI truely dropped the ball on this wtf. Unfortunately they will probably end up investigating the investigation.
We accept the reality of the world with which we're presented. It's as simple as that. ~ Christof
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Starbuck wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:
That's it? I could have quoted weeping politicians with NRA dollars in their accounts to get that.

Are you at all familiar with the Florida shooter? Last time I checked (and I haven't checked the past few days, I'm taking a break here from a project) both the FBI and local authorities dropped the ball on this kid.

You don't see any room for improvement on the part of those two authorities?

Apparantly you know more of what the NRA talking points are than I do. I am not a member and never will be.

Of course those traumatized by this event should get help. Every time one of these events happens it tears families apart and traumatizes all involved.

If the FBI truely dropped the ball on this wtf. Unfortunately they will probably end up investigating the investigation.

IF the FBI truly dropped the ball?

I see, so you've been spitballing here without any facts of the case the OP addresses.

Nice showing there, buddy.
Chinese Proverb
_Starbuck
_Emeritus

Post by _Starbuck »

Kevin Graham wrote:
...educated and understand the Constitution better than you do.

How did you reach this conclusion?