Enjoy the trolls, folks

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Re: Enjoy the trolls, folks

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
To the extent “blame” is an issue, then Mak should get the blame. He quit because Shades wouldn’t make a special rule that MG can’t post in threads Mak starts. That’s his decision, not anyone else’s. Neither MG nor Shades should be blamed for what Mak might imagine MG might post.

For crap sakes. I clearly asked if he could blame Mak for being on edge. That's exactly what I asked. That's all that I asked.

If you read my earlier post, I also said this:

I don't have a problem putting myself in the other guys shoes though. This was going on for 3 years. Folks didn't want to bother mods so they "fought it out" in the threads. Then MG and others started reporting each other to mods. '

And what they got was a Jubilee! for MG.

That's where the problem is. That's where the problem originated. With a first time ever Jubilee on this board because the mods wanted a break from the reports and as in Shades words "And never did two moderators deserve it more."

So where does that leave the community, RI? They finally started sending reports that they avoided doing before so as not to bother the mods and then Shades called "time out" without a ruling.

Why are there only two mods on duty when we have three in place? Where is harmony? If the load is too much to carry between the two, then a call for mods should go out. And if Shades, as he discussed previously, thinks he can't find another clone who will do the job right then that's his choice to leave it to himself and EA instead of giving a new volunteer a go at it, so there's no point in getting all up on his cross about it.

It's no particular skin off my nose because I rarely participate in Terrestrial, but when we have posters like grindael, IHAQ, and Mak leaving? I see that as a problem for the community and just for the record, Shade's breaking out the violins in dickish response doesn't help the community get a positive vibe about posting here.

We used to have thread starter rights around here. I have no idea what happened to that. Apparently that fell by the wayside along with exaltation to Godhood. This board once had a personality, now the very posters who light the place up are leaving.

I love this board. I was around before the board saw the light of day. I promoted this board before I ever laid eyes on it. I was here when the first version of the board went up and I see the erosion of the community as a problem.

ldsfaqs was put on the queue and shoved into Prison for less than what MG has done on this board in terms of the length of time that he did it.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:You get the board you work for. In this case we're bleeding out content contributors who infuse a variety of discussions with a variety of insights for a one-trick dick hole.

Cool.

- Doc

What he said.
Chinese Proverb
_deacon blues
_Emeritus

Post by _deacon blues »

I hesitate to add a thought because I may have missed something, but I’d guess 99% of all Mormon missionaries have dealt with more insults and crappy arguments than mg dishes out. Where’s the beef? What am I missing?
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

I’m sorry, but the notion that MG’s posting was more egregious than faqs’ is beyond ridiculous. There is a level of mob like hysteria over this whole issue that baffles me.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:I’m sorry, but the notion that MG’s posting was more egregious than faqs’ is beyond ridiculous. There is a level of mob like hysteria over this whole issue that baffles me.

Likely because you weren't a participant in the derailed threads for 3 years? That's 3 years, RI.

Think about it.

Three years where posters tried to fight stuff out in the threads because they didn't want to bother mods. And, when they did make reports (MG made reports also) a time out was called.

Put yourself in their place. There's grindael trying to publish content rich material and having his threads upended by a troll. He tries to deal with it. Others try to deal with it. They don't want to overload mods. And when they finally report, they get a first time ever Jubilee instead of a ruling.

Three years of that, RI.

Like I said, this is no skin off my nose except for the fact that I appreciate the 3 posters who left. I can certainly understand how others feel about it.
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:I’m sorry, but the notion that MG’s posting was more egregious than faqs’ is beyond ridiculous.

Pay attention to what's going on here. MG has done in 4 years of posting, what faqs did in 6.
Chinese Proverb
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Res Ipsa wrote: There is a level of mob like hysteria over this whole issue that baffles me.

I'm afraid to some extent I'm going to have to agree. This board thrives on diversity and posters who utilize varying tactics to try and take down their opponents. I have to say, MG has been persistent and rather clever in taking down his opponents by causing them to leave the board. He's not only scoring, he's winning at his own game. By running off the competition he is able to thin the ranks and advance his cause to whatever end he's playing. Apparently MG is a force to be reckoned with or, not.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:I’m sorry, but the notion that MG’s posting was more egregious than faqs’ is beyond ridiculous.

Pay attention to what's going on here. MG has done in 4 years of posting, what faqs did in 6.

Nobody need pay any attention to MG. That's my point.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Shulem wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:

Nobody need pay any attention to MG. That's my point.

That was a response to a dispute about MG vs ldsfaqs.

I understand what you're saying about ignoring him. It's not difficult for me to do at all. But I am not a "grindael" posting content rich material on serious topics having them disrupted by a troll.
Chinese Proverb
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Jersey Girl wrote: There's grindael trying to publish content rich material and having his threads upended by a troll. He tries to deal with it.

A thread is never going to be neat and orderly. There is going to be piles of poop here and there. That's what happens in public settings where free thought and expression is the No. 1 rule. When it comes down to it this place really is a war zone whereby opposing forces are out for blood and are often out to hurt their opponents anyway they can.

Deal with it or get the hell out. War is war. This place is a battlefield. Of course, you know that.