The DoubtingThomas dating / relationships MEGATHREAD

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Re: Go to a bar?

Post by _canpakes »

Doctor Steuss wrote:When I started spending time with my wife, I had absolutely no intention of dating. I just knew that she was someone I wanted in my life because of the type of person she was.

This is exactly how I met my SO. To be honest, it completely surprised me how it all ended up. : )
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

DoubtingThomas wrote:How can a man working more than 40 hours a week meet women (pretty and not overweight) other than going to a bar?

To be fair, you can also meet ugly and not skinny women at a bar. Seriously, its 2018 get online dating app(s).
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Dantana
_Emeritus

Post by _Dantana »

Not saying you're doing this but, if one has 'good looking' as their #1 criteria in the search filters, well then... I wish you luck. Have a good pre-nup on hand. Obviously we all desire someone attractive to us, but, having someone you can have a conversation with is pretty attractive too.

Like Sub g. says. Match.com. One can often figure out the personality type within the first couple of sentences of their bio. If they write 'walks on the beach' and blah blah.... give em a miss. You're looking for clever, but not sassy/sarcastic. The sassy, 'life of the party' types are great fun, but I believe bi-polar disorder runs high among this crowd. Probably my best recommendation is to just say to hell with it and dive in. I'm saying this next sentence in all sincerity... Everybody needs to get divorced at least once.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

DoubtingThomas wrote:Dating and flirting is now heavily discourage among co-workers and some companies simply don't allow it. Some men work more than 40 hours a week. How can a man working more than 40 hours a week meet women (pretty and not overweight) other than going to a bar? Some men have no time to go to a yoga class or college. Is going to church on Sundays the solution?

If a man has time to go to church on Sunday or go to a bar, a man has time to go to a class yoga or otherwise.
And honestly bars are probably disgusting

I think they are pretty disgusting. If we had neighborhood pubs like they have in the UK, it'd be a different story.

What are some of your interests and/or passions besides beautiful women?
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Kittens_and_Jesus
_Emeritus

Post by _Kittens_and_Jesus »

Doctor Steuss wrote:The most successful relationships I've had (in particular, with my wife), I entered into them not looking for romance, but looking for friendship. When I started spending time with my wife, I had absolutely no intention of dating. I just knew that she was someone I wanted in my life because of the type of person she was. I invited her, and our son out for breakfast, and a few weeks later, much to my surprise and delight, we were dating.

You invited her and ”our son" out for breakfast?
As soon as you concern yourself with the 'good' and 'bad' of your fellows, you create an opening in your heart for maliciousness to enter. Testing, competing with, and criticizing others weaken and defeat you. - O'Sensei
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Kittens_and_Jesus wrote:
Doctor Steuss wrote:The most successful relationships I've had (in particular, with my wife), I entered into them not looking for romance, but looking for friendship. When I started spending time with my wife, I had absolutely no intention of dating. I just knew that she was someone I wanted in my life because of the type of person she was. I invited her, and our son out for breakfast, and a few weeks later, much to my surprise and delight, we were dating.

You invited her and ”our son" out for breakfast?

Yes.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Kittens_and_Jesus wrote:You invited her and ”our son" out for breakfast?

As in 'the person who was at the time just her son from a previous relationship, but is ours since we got married', I suspect.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

Xenophon wrote:Good thoughts, Steuss. I think you hit a lot of the nails on the head. My go-for-it advice was mainly centered around the idea that DT has told us he is young and probably works a "throw away" job of sorts, where he likely won't be swimming too long. He also seems to have ignored previous suggestions on where to meet people (again, not just people to date) so I'm fairly confident he isn't listening now.

That said, Honor's theory is really starting to grow on me.

I do listen to advice. My age and what I do for a living is not important. Jesus Christ! For me Honorentheos is just a troll. He refused my invitation for a conversation on Skype.

And just a reminder no one has the obligation to read what I post here.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Doctor Steuss wrote:I've generally found the best way to meet women is to not be a douche. Once that benchmark is met, just go out with friends as often as possible, to as many places as possible. There will likely be women, and they will likely notice that you're not a douche.

I am a nice guy, but there is a lot of truth to "Nice Guys Finish Last". I don't have a lot of friends (that is why I usually come here), but I guess I simply need to find friends first (some how).

A bar is usually the place to go with friends, so it is a challenge for me.
Last edited by Guest on Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

canpakes wrote:I am a little bit overweight, but not obese. I can quickly fix it by going to the gym. Going to the gym is probably a good way to meet new people.)

I just hope I don't sound like a creep for trying to be friendly.