LDS Teenager Murdered at her High School in Parkland

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Starbuck
_Emeritus

Re: LDS Teenager Murdered at her High School in Parkland

Post by _Starbuck »

Jersey Girl wrote:

IF the FBI truly dropped the ball?

I see, so you've been spitballing here without any facts of the case the OP addresses.

Nice showing there, buddy.

I generally try not jumping to conclusions. Even for the FBI and haven't yet taken the time to look at what and when they knew about this scum.
We accept the reality of the world with which we're presented. It's as simple as that. ~ Christof
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Starbuck wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:

IF the FBI truly dropped the ball?

I see, so you've been spitballing here without any facts of the case the OP addresses.

Nice showing there, buddy.

I generally try not jumping to conclusions. Even for the FBI and haven't yet taken the time to look at what and when they knew about this scum.

Scum? He is a mentally ill person.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

Jersey Girl wrote:In terms of mental illness, the shooter replicated himself by the hundreds.

Jersey Girl,

You make an important point regarding the potential and likely long term consequences of trauma experienced by everyone, and especially the kids, in and around the school during and immediately after the shooting.

My next door neighbor is a Broward County Sheriff's Deputy. He was a first responder at the Ft. Lauderdale (FLL) Airport mass shooting just over a year ago. (5 killed 36 wounded).

He believes that the Parkland School shooting was orders of magnitude worse in terms of the lethality of the weapon used, number of people dead and wounded, the severity of the trauma for survivors, and the much larger number of people adversely affected, many for life.

His unusual anger at this one stems from the fact that, at Parkland, there were multiple breakdowns in the systems in place to keep the kids safe. What bothers him most is that he believes Parkland was preventable. At FLL there was not much that could have been done to prevent the incident. The guy had the weapon and ammo packed legally in his checked luggage. He took the weapon out of his bag, inserted a magazine, and started shooting.

He told me that some of the first responders may well be among those seeking grief counseling and perhaps even a session with a psychologist after this one.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

DrW wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:In terms of mental illness, the shooter replicated himself by the hundreds.

Jersey Girl,

You make an important point regarding the potential and likely long term consequences of trauma experienced by everyone, and especially the kids, in and around the school during and immediately after the shooting.

My next door neighbor is a Broward County Sheriff's Deputy. He was a first responder at the Ft. Lauderdale (FLL) Airport mass shooting just over a year ago. (5 killed 36 wounded).

He believes that the Parkland School shooting was orders of magnitude worse in terms of the lethality of the weapon used, number of people dead and wounded, the severity of the trauma for survivors, and the much larger number of people adversely affected, many for life.

His unusual anger at this one stems from the fact that, at Parkland, there were multiple breakdowns in the systems in place to keep the kids safe. What bothers him most is that he believes Parkland was preventable. At FLL there was not much that could have been done to prevent the incident. The guy had the weapon and ammo packed legally in his checked luggage. He took the weapon out of his bag, inserted a magazine, and started shooting.

He told me that some of the first responders may well be among those seeking grief counseling and perhaps even a session with a psychologist after this one.

Yes, well I know from first hand experience about the rippling effects of gun violence related trauma.

First responders are well known to incur PTSD as well.
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

These threats apparently went out over social media (Instagram) in 2016. Here he is making death threats to his ex-girlfriend's new boyfriend. Let me enlarge something for emphasis.

Enea and Dana complained to the school’s head of security about Cruz’s messages and, in 2017, he was expelled. But in August, Cruz kept sending threatening messages to Enea through social media.

“Iam going to f-----g kill you,” Cruz wrote, according to messages Enea provided to BuzzFeed. “Iam going to watch ypu bleed.”

“I jave guns b---h ahahahahah,” he continued. “Iam going to shoot you dead.” He also sent him a photo of his rifles and a black Velcro vest.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2018/0 ... /23364885/
Chinese Proverb
_Starbuck
_Emeritus

Post by _Starbuck »

DrW wrote:

Jersey Girl,

I had a friend commit suicide a few years ago. I later found out it he was the first police officer on the scene of a pretty gruesome murder. Breaks my heart.
We accept the reality of the world with which we're presented. It's as simple as that. ~ Christof
_Starbuck
_Emeritus

Post by _Starbuck »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:I know this is really crazy, but you know what would've prevented 17 people from being murdered and 19(?) others from being wounded?

No firearms.

- Doc

With over an estimated 300 millions guns in the US what is the route for this? Is there any chance of loss of life trying to implement whatever means to get to the ends?
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Starbuck wrote:
I had a friend commit suicide a few years ago. I later found out it he was the first police officer on the scene of a pretty gruesome murder. Breaks my heart.

Approximately 3,000 students were evacuated in the Florida shooting on Valentine's Day. Some of them left in ambulances, some were picked up by parents. Some got a trip to the morgue where they were likely later identified by their parents.

One can only imagine how many of those picked up by parents are suffering from trauma as I type this. School provided grief counseling is NOT treatment for trauma. How many of them are having flashbacks, hear and smell the shots, hear and smell fellow students dying on top of them while they lay on the floor of their classrooms.

One can only imagine how many of those students are going without treatment for trauma as I type this. How many of them will suffer from PTSD, anxiety and depression for years into the future.

One can only imagine how many of those students will turn to substance abuse, and how many will attempt or complete suicide.

Does that break your heart and if so, how much?

Does it break your heart enough to give up your right to own an AR?
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

March for Our Lives, student march on Washington, March 24th.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_for_Our_Lives

Students taking to the streets to beg for their lives because adults are too busy worrying about their gun rights.
Chinese Proverb
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

Starbuck wrote:With over an estimated 300 millions guns in the US what is the route for this? Is there any chance of loss of life trying to implement whatever means to get to the ends?

These kinds of comments misunderstand that less accessibility is the key. Sure, it will still be technically possible for people to get their hands on guns, but being more difficult means less deaths. Don't believe me? Then why is that the same three states that have the highest rate of suicides also have the highest number of guns per capita? Coincidence?

Doc's solution would obviously work, but it is unrealistic because we're never going to get rid of all guns. The more practical and achievable goal is to make certain types of guns harder to get. You can say crime and deaths will still happen and that's true, but their frequency will decline dramatically for the same reason fewer people kill themselves in states where access to a gun is more difficult.

Illinois has strict guns laws making it very difficult to obtain a gun without crossing state lines. Illinois is ranked 43rd in gun prevalence and 45th in suicide rates. https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/magaz ... revalence/