Enjoy the trolls, folks

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Re: Enjoy the trolls, folks

Post by _Shulem »

Jersey Girl wrote:
I understand what you're saying about ignoring him. It's not difficult for me to do at all. But I am not a "grindael" posting content rich material on serious topics having them disrupted by a troll.

I get that. But if he can't handle the heat in the kitchen and learn to walk over the poop then maybe it's just as well he leave for his own sanity sake. There just aren't going to be neat and tidy threads for him to present his presentations. The opposition is going to want to disrupt him and fire back using whatever tricks they can to foil and disrupt. It seems that MG has been very successful in rattling him and is laughing his head off behind the scenes.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:I’m sorry, but the notion that MG’s posting was more egregious than faqs’ is beyond ridiculous.

Pay attention to what's going on here. MG has done in 4 years of posting, what faqs did in 6.

Nonsense! It isn’t even a close call. FAQs has done far worse in a week than MG did in three years. There’s a serious loss of perspective here.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

Shulem wrote:I'm afraid to some extent I'm going to have to agree. This board thrives on diversity and posters who utilize varying tactics to try and take down their opponents. I have to say, MG has been persistent and rather clever in taking down his opponents by causing them to leave the board. He's not only scoring, he's winning at his own game. By running off the competition he is able to thin the ranks and advance his cause to whatever end he's playing.

This.

I think it's a big loss and a shame that folks like Mak, Grindeal and IHAQ are no longer posting. I don't like that, at all. But personally, I think MG makes things a bit interesting here and I can ignore him when he is just being a troll and a dick and I don't want to deal with his stupid remarks...AND I have to say, I miss all those ahole folks like LDSfaqs, Why Me etc. They have a place on this board, in my opinion.
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:
Pay attention to what's going on here. MG has done in 4 years of posting, what faqs did in 6.

Nonsense! It isn’t even a close call. FAQs has done far worse in a week than MG did in three years. There’s a serious loss of perspective here.

It terms of disruptive derailments, RI.

Look at their post counts, RI. Look at their dates of registration. Nope. You're wrong. MG is running right up there neck and neck with faqs and in 2 years less time.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

If Grindael wanted some kind of protected discussion for his scholarly work, all he had to do was post his scholarly threads in Celestial. Problem solved. If he felt MG had been harassing him outside the rules during the three years, he could have reported MG. But he didn’t. Instead, he went to war with MG, assisted by some of the folks who still are bitching about the situation, even though MG apparently hasn’t been trolling anyone.

Shades has a pretty good system set up here. It works pretty well when people take responsibility for their own conduct and act like grownups.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:It terms of disruptive derailments, RI.

Look at their post counts, RI. Look at their dates of registration. Nope. You're wrong. MG is running right up there neck and neck with faqs and in 2 years less time.

Are you seriously claiming that the percentages of trolling are the same? I thought you largely ignored terrestrial.

_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:
It terms of disruptive derailments, RI.

Are you seriously claiming that the percentages of trolling are the same? I thought you largely ignored terrestrial.

Yes, I'm making that claim.

I didn't say that I ignored Terrestrial. I said that I rarely participate on it.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

cwald wrote:
This.

I think it's a big loss and a shame that folks like Mak, Grindeal and IHAQ are no longer posting. I don't like that, at all. But personally, I think MG makes things a bit interesting here and I can ignore him when he is just being a troll and a dick and I don't want to deal with his stupid remarks...AND I have to say, I miss all those ahole folks like LDSfaqs, Why Me etc. They have a place on this board, in my opinion.

Yep, absolutely. Let the competition employ whatever tricks and tactics they like because they are desperate and foaming at the mouth -- such was zerinus. This place is not an orderly debate club but is a message board where apposing sides will do anything to rattle their enemy.

This place breeds war (terrestrial and telestial boards). But there are rules in place which Shades has set. The trick is to stay within the bounds of those rules and present your arguments and play to win.

I think those guys will be back. They need a breather.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Yes, I'm making that claim.

I didn't say that I ignored Terrestrial. I said that I rarely participate on it.

Damn, you're good girl. I'm glad ur on my side.

lol
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

Res Ipsa wrote:If Grindael wanted some kind of protected discussion for his scholarly work, all he had to do was post his scholarly threads in Celestial. Problem solved. If he felt MG had been harassing him outside the rules during the three years, he could have reported MG. But he didn’t. Instead, he went to war with MG, assisted by some of the folks who still are bitching about the situation, even though MG apparently hasn’t been trolling anyone.

Shades has a pretty good system set up here. It works pretty well when people take responsibility for their own conduct and act like grownups.

Well, I agree with you mostly, but MG IS a troll. There is no question about that. Not only is he a troll...he's a damn good troll. That is why he's gotten away with it all these years.
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson