MY nuclear button is bigger than YOUR nuclear button!

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Re: MY nuclear button is bigger than YOUR nuclear button!

Post by _Some Schmo »

It's hard to watch what's going on and not feel completely justified about the number of times I've called Drumpf enablers (voters, non-voters, supporters - anyone allowing this to happen silently) stupid. Like we all didn't see this coming if we cared to pay the slightest attention.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Some Schmo wrote:It's hard to watch what's going on and not feel completely justified about the number of times I've called Drumpf enablers (voters, non-voters, supporters - anyone allowing this to happen silently) stupid. Like we all didn't see this coming if we cared to pay the slightest attention.

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

https://mobile.Twitter.com/ddale8/statu ... 4670688256

Just a day in the life of the President.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

THEUnsilentMajority
@RUnsilentM
·
11h
Replying to @ddale8 and @brianklaas
It is amazing he is able to squeeze in so much golf with his busy TV schedule.
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Uncle Ed
_Emeritus

Post by _Uncle Ed »

Those of us who grew up with "cover up" exercises in school already got a dreadful look at our parents' views on the world. Nuclear holocaust is the constant threat. If the USSR/Russia and China and the US haven't bombed ourselves into oblivion by now, it isn't likely to ever happen. Little Kim has no nuclear capacity worth mentioning. He has played with a few nuke tests and he has a few missiles that theoretically can reach the US mainland. The US has thousands of them that actually work, including surface to air that should be capable of taking down an incoming ICBM. Kim has nothing that could take down even one incoming retaliation. He's a barker. Some people pull back from a barking dog, no matter what size. Others just bark back. We have our barker who likes to indulge in louder barking, much like Teddy Roosevelt. Much barking going on. Very fun/funny to listen to.

Since nothing at all is going to come out of this, other than an unforeseen (by most) amicable relationship between Kim and The Donald, the only thing silly stuff like this brings out is which individuals are irrationally afraid of the President. His bombast, braggadocio, crudities and sophomoric humor aside, he's actually not doing a bad job so far.
A man should never step a foot into the field,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need arms,
Or what menace meet on the road. - Hávamál 38

Man's joy is in Man. - Hávamál 47
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Teddy Roosevelt: bark loud and carry a small stick. - Uncle Ed.
_Xenophon
_Emeritus

Post by _Xenophon »

Ed, I think you may be significantly over estimating our ability to reliably shoot down these types of missles.

The United States has several options, but the main deterrent is the ground-based midcourse defense program. Trump has previously claimed that the system can knock out an ICBM “97 percent of the time” — but that’s not the case. In testing the system, the Pentagon concluded that it has only limited defense capabilities. Before it shot down a mock ICBM over the Pacific, the system failed seven times in 17 tests. It uses a five-foot-long “kill vehicle” to shoot down an incoming warhead.

And I think you also mis-judge how we have several times been one calm individual away from nuclear war.

On 26 September 1983, just three weeks after the Soviet military had shot down Korean Air Lines Flight 007, Petrov was the duty officer at the command center for the Oko nuclear early-warning system when the system reported that a missile had been launched from the United States, followed by up to five more. Petrov judged the reports to be a false alarm,[1] and his decision to disobey orders, against Soviet military protocol,[2] is credited with having prevented an erroneous retaliatory nuclear attack on the United States and its NATO allies that could have resulted in large-scale nuclear war. Investigation later confirmed that the Soviet satellite warning system had indeed malfunctioned.[3]

Given the tension present with all parties involved on the subject it doesn't take much to light the powder keg. One misread of a situation, one over eager participant in the dance and it isn't unreasonable to imagine a yuge problem.
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Xenophon wrote:Given the tension present with all parties involved on the subject it doesn't take much to light the powder keg. One misread of a situation, one over eager participant in the dance and it isn't unreasonable to imagine a yuge problem.

please, provide one relevant example where the circumstances that you allege are existing have led to circumstances that you allege would occur.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Yeah. Unless you can provide an example of global thermonuclear war happening, your arguments about risk are invalid.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Re: The president is threatening nuclear war again

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Ceeboo wrote:
Fortunately (if that word could possibly appear in this discussion) the United States of America requires more - much more - than an individual person (including a sitting President that thinks he's posting anonymously on a discussion board) to hit the nuclear button.

That aside though, where is his team of advisors? Good gawd!

The president has sole authority to launch nuclear weapons. There are no controls.

ETA: https://www.washingtonpost.com/postever ... b81924a510
Last edited by Guest on Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951