Warren drops out

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Re: Warren drops out

Post by _Some Schmo »

DoubtingThomas wrote:
Some Schmo wrote:Men who whine that women have all the power

I am not a men's rights activist and I am not whining. I just don't appreciate dishonest arguments and the victim card.

Dishonest? You really think sexism isn't a thing?

Shocker.

It was an honest question. If sexism had a large impact I would like to see the evidence. I won't deny reality.

I wasn't going to vote for Warren because I didn't think enough others would, based solely on her gender. How's that for evidence?

Denying sexism IS denying reality.

Some Schmo wrote: surrendered their own innate cultural power,.

Well, I don't have a lot of power.

Of course. You gave it away. If you wanted, you could take it back, but that would involve adjusting some of your core beliefs about reality.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

DoubtingThomas wrote:
EAllusion wrote: Because of the way she's coded, that coverage leaned pretty hard into sexist tropes very similar to what Clinton faced, so it's possible that sexism only significantly hurt her after she climbed in the polls. At the same time, if she didn't get negative coverage in the form of sexist stereotyping, it probably would've taken a different form because the media likes to tear down frontrunners.

Can you please explain. Was the media attacking her gender? Was the media saying that a woman can't beat Donald Trump? How was negative coverage in the form of sexist stereotyping? Was CNN, MSNBC, and other big networks doing that?

It's more subtle than that, DT. Warren got covered as mean and lecturing (bitchy, if you will) for things male candidates like Sanders get praised as being "fighters" for. Warren got a lot of coverage implying she was quite dishonest concerning issues that just don't produce that kind of coverage in male counterparts. Warren got a lot of coverage questioning her qualifications that made no sense.

It adds up. I'm not sure how much of an impact it made, but I'd bet a lot that it was non-zero. My favorite example was the period of time where Pete Buttigieg was being described as an "affable professor" type when Elizabeth Warren, a literal Harvard professor that was very popular with students, couldn't buy that description. It's a minor thing, but when you notice a lot of these minor things, maybe it's a major thing?
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

DoubtingThomas wrote:
EAllusion wrote:An army of Sanders supporters were calling her a snake. That probably wasn't a big factor in her loss, but that was a thing that existed.

She didn't have to accuse Sanders of saying that women can't win, even if the accusation was true. She clearly did it for political points and will only hurt Sanders in the general election if he wins the nomination.

By definition a snake is "a treacherous or deceitful person," that is not a sexist attack. Warren was playing identity politics and the victim card.

Because "snake" as an insult directed at women has never had any associations with sexist stereotypes or anything.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

Some Schmo wrote:Dishonest? You really think sexism isn't a thing?

Shocker.

Stop reacting like a Mormon and show me the numbers. EAllusion himself said, "Warren faced a lot of sexist tropes in coverage of her. It's hard to know how much that hurt her"

I did not say sexism isn't a thing, don't let your brain read things I am not saying. You need to prove that sexism cost her the nomination. Be open minded or show me the evidence.

I wasn't going to vote for Warren because I didn't think enough others would, based solely on her gender. How's that for evidence? Denying sexism IS denying reality.

I do not deny sexism, but you need to give me statistics. I doubt there are a lot of sexist democrats, especially because most Democrat voters are female.
_Maxine Waters
_Emeritus

Post by _Maxine Waters »

As long as we can all agree that the reason Democratic primary voters have thus far chosen 2 old millionaire white guys is because Donald Trump is racist and a misogynist. We need to be consistent and logical in our thinking. I've always made sure to do that In my career. I'm sure you all would agree with that.
“There were mothers who took this [Rodney King LA riots] as an opportunity to take some milk, to take some bread, to take some shoes ... They are not crooks.”

This liberal would be about socializing . . . uh, umm. . . . Would be about, basically, taking over, and the government running all of your companies.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Maxine Waters wrote:We need to be consistent and logical in our thinking. I've always made sure to do that In my career.

Your career as a black Congressperson or some guy who wears a pointy white hood?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

Some Schmo wrote:Good, man. Remember, if you want love, be lovable.

And you are 100% wrong if you think that I am the problem.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

DoubtingThomas wrote:
Some Schmo wrote:Good, man. Remember, if you want love, be lovable.

Please don't judge me.

You don't care if I judge you. You only care if I judge you harshly.

If I told you I liked your writing, I would have judged you, and you'd have no objection.

DoubtingThomas wrote:I have always been lovable in person, but it is not easy to remain lovable when you don't get love. But I try my best.

The proof is in the pudding.

And you are 100% wrong if you think that I am the problem.

I'm not sure how to respond to this. There's almost more irony here than I can handle.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Maxine Waters wrote:As long as we can all agree that the reason Democratic primary voters have thus far chosen 2 old millionaire white guys is because Donald Trump is racist and a misogynist.

Majax, once again demonstrating his inability to read for comprehension, everyone.

damned dumbass.

Seriously, this is the primary feature of the GOP base today: abject, shameless stupidity.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

DoubtingThomas wrote:
Some Schmo wrote:Dishonest? You really think sexism isn't a thing?

Shocker.

Stop reacting like a Mormon and show me the numbers. EAllusion himself said, "Warren faced a lot of sexist tropes in coverage of her. It's hard to know how much that hurt her"

I did not say sexism isn't a thing, don't let your brain read things I am not saying. You need to prove that sexism cost her the nomination. Be open minded or show me the evidence.

DT, what I said was that sexism had an impact. I didn't claim it cost her the nomination, and I agree that it's impossible to quantify. You're not getting numbers. I'm not trying to prove Warren didn't win because she's a woman. I was commenting that it seems clear her chances were diminished as a result of how our culture still feels about her gender.

I mean, FFS, I'm sitting here having to damned convince some young male (whipper snapper) on the Internet that sexism influences politics... like that still has to be explained. QED