COVID is getting worse

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: COVID is getting worse

Post by Jersey Girl »

RI where'd you get that map? I don't think it's accurate for our state at least. Here's the map from the link that Lem provided on the old board. This map puts CO on par with Washington. Am I interpreting something wrong that's right in front of my face?

https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

My apologies. I inadvertanly cut off the source. This is a map showing the load on hospital resources. Source is https://www.covidexitstrategy.org

ETA: It looks like the numbers for new cases on the site you linked is for absolute number of new cases. Per capita, Colorado is almost double the rate of new cases in Washington. It's tricky, because you have to determine whether numbers are absolute or per capita and you have to compare the number ranges for shading. The worst examples of scale abuse I've seen have come from Fox News.
Last edited by Res Ipsa on Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Flightless Bird I like that message! Not sure about the graphic.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:58 pm
My apologies. I inadvertanly cut off the source. This is a map showing the load on hospital resources. Source is https://www.covidexitstrategy.org

ETA: It looks like the numbers for new cases on the site you linked is for absolute number of new cases. Per capita, Colorado is almost double the rate of new cases in Washington. It's tricky, because you have to determine whether numbers are absolute or per capita and you have to compare the number ranges for shading. The worst examples of scale abuse I've seen have come from Fox News.
Thanks, Mr. Grinch! ;-) I don't rely on Fox News for anything except to check if Fox actually reported what someone said they did.

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:09 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:58 pm

Thanks, Mr. Grinch! ;-) I don't rely on Fox News for anything except to check if Fox actually reported what someone said they did.
Yeah, I was pretty sure you didn't rely on Fox. I'd just seen some atrocious examples from them over the past couple of months and thought I'd pass that on.
he/him

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

This is what happens when a science adviser puts politics before science. You can go back and look up what Fauci was actually saying at the time: that IF vaccines turn out to be only 75% effective and IF there are low rates of vaccine acceptance, we may not be able to achieve herd immunity through vaccines alone. This lying sack of crap, who is supposed to be a SCIENCE advisor, lies about what Fauci said and then advocates letting hundreds of millions of Americans get sick and a couple million die even though he has no idea whether simply contracting the disease confers immunity. Or if it does, how long it lasts. And he ignores the fact that, no country has been able to keep the virus out of the vulnerable populations, let alone while remaining completely open.

This isn't science. This is "make the president look good politics." What does the science say?

1. Implement the basic public health measures that the federal government has completely ignored since day one: test, isolate, treat, trace, quarantine. That is the opposite of "let the wild rumpus begin and try to build a wall around the vulnerable." It requires removal of the sick and the exposed from the general population so that they can get proper medical treatment and the chains of transmission can be open. Exposing a population to a deadly disease with severe long-term health consequences in order to build herd immunity is not and has never been a public health strategy. (Because it doesn't work and increases illness, suffering and death, as well as results in devastated health care systems.

2. Keep developing vaccines until those that are more than 75% effective are developed. We lucked out -- the two earliest vaccines are more like 95% effective.

3. Implement a government-wide education campaign to encourage people to vaccinate. South Korea's government turned defeating the virus into a patriotic war of all citizens v. the virus.

4. Study the patterns of how the virus is spread. Make sure the people who transmit the virus along those paths are vaccinated early.

This man had no business ever serving as a science advisor. He was fired only after Caputo had his Facebook meltdown and went on "medical leave."

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/12/1 ... egy-446408
https://www.politico.com/f/?id=00000176 ... ff0c950001
he/him

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:32 pm
This is what happens when a science adviser puts politics before science. You can go back and look up what Fauci was actually saying at the time: that IF vaccines turn out to be only 75% effective and IF there are low rates of vaccine acceptance, we may not be able to achieve herd immunity through vaccines alone. This lying sack of crap, who is supposed to be a SCIENCE advisor, lies about what Fauci said and then advocates letting hundreds of millions of Americans get sick and a couple million die even though he has no idea whether simply contracting the disease confers immunity. Or if it does, how long it lasts. And he ignores the fact that, no country has been able to keep the virus out of the vulnerable populations, let alone while remaining completely open.

This isn't science. This is "make the president look good politics." What does the science say?

1. Implement the basic public health measures that the federal government has completely ignored since day one: test, isolate, treat, trace, quarantine. That is the opposite of "let the wild rumpus begin and try to build a wall around the vulnerable." It requires removal of the sick and the exposed from the general population so that they can get proper medical treatment and the chains of transmission can be open. Exposing a population to a deadly disease with severe long-term health consequences in order to build herd immunity is not and has never been a public health strategy. (Because it doesn't work and increases illness, suffering and death, as well as results in devastated health care systems.

2. Keep developing vaccines until those that are more than 75% effective are developed. We lucked out -- the two earliest vaccines are more like 95% effective.

3. Implement a government-wide education campaign to encourage people to vaccinate. South Korea's government turned defeating the virus into a patriotic war of all citizens v. the virus.

4. Study the patterns of how the virus is spread. Make sure the people who transmit the virus along those paths are vaccinated early.

This man had no business ever serving as a science advisor. He was fired only after Caputo had his Facebook meltdown and went on "medical leave."

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/12/1 ... egy-446408
https://www.politico.com/f/?id=00000176 ... ff0c950001
Dear God in heaven. First link:

“There is no other way, we need to establish herd, and it only comes about allowing the non-high risk groups expose themselves to the virus. PERIOD," then-science adviser Paul Alexander wrote on July 4 to his boss, Health and Human Services assistant secretary for public affairs Michael Caputo, and six other senior officials.
Vaccine you homicidal freak.

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Love this sketch. https://Twitter.com/mynameisntdave/stat ... 76800?s=21
Just wear a damn mask!
he/him

subgenius
Stake President

Post by subgenius »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:11 pm
Love this sketch. https://Twitter.com/mynameisntdave/stat ... 76800?s=21
Just wear a damn mask!
Quick question, Biden take vaccine yet?
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams