the uninsured motorist reality

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Re: the uninsured motorist reality

Post by _ajax18 »

Analytics wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:20 pm
ajax18 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:55 pm

As always. The double standard of this ridiculous law that everyone purchase car insurance and insurance for those who refuse to purchase it has amazed me since I was 5 years old and first learned about it.

But yes, we're all ultimately responsible for our own lives. Try telling that to Black Lives Matter demanding to be able to resist arrest and disrespect police officers and walk away unscathed without any consequence. Changing the world is impossible even for them. As my late Uncle always said, "You have to adjust yourself to the world, the world is not going to adjust to you."
What double standard?

The way the tort system works is that if somebody accidently causes you harm, they have to pay for the damages. But if they don't have the money to pay for the damages, you are SOL. A law that says you have to have 20k in insurance so that you can pay up to 20k in damages is pretty silly compared to how big the damages can be, but it isn't a double standard. All drivers need to know that if somebody causes huge damage in an accident, the person causing the damage most likely have between zero dollars in insurance and $20,000 in insurance. That means you need to have the money or insurance to take care of yourself for all damages above that.

If the person who causes you damage happens to have assets, you can sue the hell out of them, and their assets probably won't even come in to play because they'll probably have insurance to pay a nice settlement. But if a normal person hits you, you are screwed regardless of whether they have minimal coverage.

I was referring to the criminal law of driving without auto insurance. . Someting is screwed up with being legally required to buy auto insurance for yourself and also for those who won't buy it.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_Analytics
_Emeritus

Post by _Analytics »

What are you talking about? You aren't legally required to buy insurance for those who won't buy it.
It’s relatively easy to agree that only Homo sapiens can speak about things that don’t really exist, and believe six impossible things before breakfast. You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

-Yuval Noah Harari
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

Analytics wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:29 am
What are you talking about? You aren't legally required to buy insurance for those who won't buy it.
If I remember right, you're required to buy liability insurance in WV and you're required to buy uninsured motorist protection.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

ajax18 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:46 am
If I remember right, you're required to buy liability insurance in West Virginia and you're required to buy uninsured motorist protection.
If the law did not require that, would you actually feel comfortable without having such insurance? I certainly wouldn't!
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Analytics
_Emeritus

Post by _Analytics »

ajax18 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:46 am
Analytics wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:29 am
If I remember right, you're required to buy liability insurance in West Virginia and you're required to buy uninsured motorist protection.
I suspect that you contractually promised to hold uninsured motorist insurance when you leased (or borrowed money for) your car. If you pay off the loan you can drop the uninsured motorist coverage.

But you do make a fair point. "No fault insurance" is the solution--under that system, if you get in a wreck your own insurance covers you regardless of who is at fault. The lawyers hate that though--they prefer the tort system where juries decide who is at fault and who has to pay.

I wish our society wasn't designed around the premise that everybody can and should drive. That is the real source of these problems.
It’s relatively easy to agree that only Homo sapiens can speak about things that don’t really exist, and believe six impossible things before breakfast. You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

-Yuval Noah Harari
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

You get to legally drop collision insurance if you choose when you pay your car off but not liability or uninsured motorist.
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

I wish our society wasn't designed around the premise that everybody can and should drive. That is the real source of these problems.

Wouldn't you want public transport and no automobiles out of environmental concerns?

But yes it's based on the premise that driving is a privilege Some peoplw aren't really worthy of the privilege. Yet how do you get to work without it?