Four Hours at the Capitol: A Must Watch HBO Documentary

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
canpakes
God

Re: Four Hours at the Capitol: A Must Watch HBO Documentary

Post by canpakes »

Alf'Omega wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:06 am
Perhaps even more despicable is the Republican Troy Nehls (R) Texas, who was actually barricading the doors during the attack. After initially saying officers would have been justified shooting people who made it through the door, he recently went on Newsmax to claim Ashley Babbitt was murdered and there was absolutely no way to justify shooting her. Chris Hayes puts together the video clip: https://www.msnbc.com/all

Maybe the Capitol staff was simply abiding by Stand Your Ground ideals when some unknown rioter was smashing through the front door of the Speaker’s Lobby.
Alf'Omega
2nd Counselor

Post by Alf'Omega »

canpakes wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:04 am
You mentioned 80 million voters. Why that number? Is that the assumed count of registered Republicans?
He doesn't know what the hell he's trying to say but I get the sense we're about to hear something about parody again.

Six million Republican voters didn't vote for Trump? Based on what evidence? Trump received roughly 12 million more votes in 2020 than he did in 2016. I doubt he was losing Republicans support prior to the 2020 election. The Republicans who had integrity distanced themselves from Trump prior to the 2016 election.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

canpakes wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:10 am
Maybe the Capitol staff was simply abiding by Stand Your Ground ideals when some unknown rioter was smashing through the front door of the Speaker’s Lobby.
I really don't understand why anyone should think that a group itching to go attack or kidnap Congresspeople should be treated with kid gloves. It is astonishing to me that, as you say, in a place like Florida you can gun someone down because you felt threatened, but on the other hand insurrectionists should be able to assault police officers to seek out members of Congress to kidnap or hurt them, even murder them. If you think that it is verboten to assault a police officer in other situations, why on earth would you think the stated intention of harming or kidnapping a member of Congress would be winked at? What were these people thinking?

I am sorry this young woman lost her life, but her behavior was bound to get her shot.
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
Cultellus

Post by Cultellus »

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:53 am
(Shortened)
I am sorry this young woman lost her life, but her behavior was bound to get her shot.
So. Sorry, not sorry?
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Alf'Omega wrote:
Perhaps even more despicable is the Republican Troy Nehls (R) Texas, who was actually barricading the doors during the attack. After initially saying officers would have been justified shooting people who made it through the door, he recently went on Newsmax to claim Ashley Babbitt was murdered and there was absolutely no way to justify shooting her. Chris Hayes puts together the video clip: https://www.msnbc.com/all
Jesus. damned shameless.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Cultellus

Post by Cultellus »

Some Schmo wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:32 pm
Alf'Omega wrote:
Jesus. damned shameless.
Why is this so polarizing? A woman was shot and killed. It was filmed by John Sullivan. John was with a reporter. The film was sold for a lot of money.

What gives y’all such hard wood for this? Y’all are definitely not shameless. You are the extreme opposite of that. And you seem quite pleased with yourselves. Right?
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Cultellus wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:02 pm
Kishkumen wrote:
(Shortened)
So. Sorry, not sorry?

More like, ‘sorry, but not unexpected’.

The same folks who’d call Babbitt an unjustly murdered martyr have also called Kyle Rittenhouse a hero for firing into an angry crowd of protesters in the open and killing two people, and make no excuses for the dead there.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Cultellus wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:02 pm
Kishkumen wrote:
(Shortened)
So. Sorry, not sorry?
Um, no. Sorry definitely sorry. If my child were told not to stick her hand on a hot stove and she did it anyway, I would definitely be sorry she got burned. I would not see it as an unexpected outcome.
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

So. Sorry, not sorry?
Not nearly as quick on the draw as the guy exploiting the Rust tragedy.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Gadianton wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:28 pm
Not nearly as quick on the draw as the guy exploiting the Rust tragedy.
I see what you did there. : )