Impeachment hearings

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Re: Impeachment hearings

Post by _canpakes »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Explain to me again why Trump needed to send his personal lawyer and known criminals to ‘investigate’ the Bidens when he had the full power of not only the DoJ to use, but the State department, too?

- Doc

Asking for a friend, myself.
_mikwut
_Emeritus

Post by _mikwut »

Doc,

1) Is Trump going to take the stand?

That doesn't follow. You don't have to take the stand to cross examine your accuser.

2) Whistleblower Act exists for a reason?

Yes. So does the Constitution.

3) Is a Senator defying a CJ’s decision to score a party hit through social media good for our government?

As already stated he defied nothing because no one knows who the whistle blower is, it did show Schiff if lying.

mikwut
All communication relies, to a noticeable extent on evoking knowledge that we cannot tell, all our knowledge of mental processes, like feelings or conscious intellectual activities, is based on a knowledge which we cannot tell.
-Michael Polanyi

"Why are you afraid, have you still no faith?" Mark 4:40
_mikwut
_Emeritus

Post by _mikwut »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Explain to me again why Trump needed to send his personal lawyer and known criminals to ‘investigate’ the Bidens when he had the full power of not only the DoJ to use, but the State department, too?

- Doc

I understand he was representing his client.

mikwut
All communication relies, to a noticeable extent on evoking knowledge that we cannot tell, all our knowledge of mental processes, like feelings or conscious intellectual activities, is based on a knowledge which we cannot tell.
-Michael Polanyi

_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

mikwut wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Explain to me again why Trump needed to send his personal lawyer and known criminals to ‘investigate’ the Bidens when he had the full power of not only the DoJ to use, but the State department, too?

- Doc

I understand he was representing his client.

mikwut

Think about what you just wrote, and then think about why that has disastrous implications moving forward.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

mikwut wrote:Doc,

1) Is Trump going to take the stand?

That doesn't follow. You don't have to take the stand to cross examine your accuser.

2) Whistleblower Act exists for a reason?

Yes. So does the Constitution.

3) Is a Senator defying a CJ’s decision to score a party hit through social media good for our government?

As already stated he defied nothing because no one knows who the whistle blower is, it did show Schiff if lying.

mikwut

I see you're just going to play “F” “F” games. I don't really know what to say to you, much along the same lines I don't know what to say to someone who thinks they should pour gasoline on a running engine in order to cool it down. So. I'm not sure what kind of discussion you think you're going to have when you're just playing stupid games, because I refuse to believe you believe what you're saying makes any sense. What's troubling is that playing stupid games for too long tends to turn into stupid reality because most people can't distinguish between the two.

edit: I should add that despite Mikwut's astonishingly naïve statements about Rand Paul, back on November 5th Rand Paul tweeted a link to an article from a right-wing news outlet that claims to have identified the whistleblower. On Wednesday, the president’s son, Donald Trump Jr., tweeted a link to an article including the same name.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Icarus
_Emeritus

Post by _Icarus »

Mikwut,

Please explain where the Constitution makes whistle blower protections void.

The sixth amendment doesn't give Rand Paul the right to out the whistle blower.

Why are they so infatuated with the whistle blower at this point anyway? Seems to be nothing more than petty retribution.
"One of the hardest things for me to accept is the fact that Kevin Graham has blonde hair, blue eyes and an English last name. This ugly truth blows any arguments one might have for actual white supremacism out of the water. He's truly a disgrace." - Ajax
_mikwut
_Emeritus

Post by _mikwut »

Doc,

There are no games. I stand by my post. There does not exist in this country any trial where the accused must take the stand in order to assert his primary and fundamental constitutional right to confront one's accuser.

The primary reason for the whistleblower statute is to protect against retribution, mostly in the context of not losing the party's job. There is no reason in the whistleblower statute that even insinuates they can avoid cross examination in a trial.

There is nothing stupid about that. Ignoring it is stupid.

mikwut
-Michael Polanyi

_mikwut
_Emeritus

Post by _mikwut »

Hi Icarus,

Please explain where the Constitution makes whistle blower protections void.

It doesn't say that and I didn't say that.

The sixth amendment doesn't give Rand Paul the right to out the whistle blower.

I didn't say anything akin to that either. Rand Paul didn't attempt to out the whistle blower. How would we know the name of the whistleblower if the name is not known even by Schiff?

Why are they so infatuated with the whistle blower at this point anyway? Seems to be nothing more than petty retribution.

In order to present a defense that the whistleblower was not sincerely bringing what he believed to be an illegal act or wrong doing by the President but rather a insincere smear and attempt to bring him out of office. As Rand Paul stated he was overheard talking about doing so before coming forward as a whistleblower.

mikwut
-Michael Polanyi

_Icarus
_Emeritus

Post by _Icarus »

mikwut wrote:Doc,

There are no games. I stand by my post. There does not exist in this country any trial where the accused must take the stand in order to assert his primary and fundamental constitutional right to confront one's accuser.

Trump has no constitutional right to face the whistleblower. The sixth amendment pertains to criminal trials not impeachment, and it can be argued that the whistle blower isn't technically an accuser. If you read the official whistle blower complaint, it is a summary of "concerns" based on information obtained by other first hand witnesses. He never once accused Trump of violating the law, but reported his experience and let investigators look into it further. That's not an accusation of being a criminal.
"One of the hardest things for me to accept is the fact that Kevin Graham has blonde hair, blue eyes and an English last name. This ugly truth blows any arguments one might have for actual white supremacism out of the water. He's truly a disgrace." - Ajax
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

MissTish wrote:Dershowitz is now making this argument:

"If a president does something which he believes will help him get elected in the public interest, that cannot be the kind of quid pro quo that results in impeachment."

How far is it from the President doing something to help his re-election to the President doing anything to help his re-election?

Something he believes. That is the kind of carte blanche Dershowitz wants to give Donald Trump. I try to imagine the President's counsel making that argument in front of the Constitutional Convention with a straight face: that the the sanctity of American elections need only be defined as any 'something' that any future President might believe.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land