The Sports Shoutout Thread

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Mr. Coffee wrote:I guess I'm an oddball as I can't stand Baseball (BORING!)

I'm so with you there...

I think american football is both boring and weak

and here...

and Basketball is dull

and sadly, have to agree here, too, though at one time (a loooong time ago) I couldn't get enought of it: playing, following college ball and the pros...

and NASCAR is just plain lame.

I've managed to avoid just about any knowlege of this.

But I do love my Hockey

I probably would too, had I grown up anywhere around it. As it is, I've yet to follow through on going to see a game, even though every so often I think, "Oh yeah. Hockey. Could be fun..."

I'm also an avid marksman.

Damn. I need to get to a shooting range. I just know I'd love it.

I love racing.

I don't follow it, but it is thrilling to watch now and then on TV and I would bet wonderful to see live. I did see some racing (again years ago) out in Utah as well as witness several World Land Speed Record trials and attempts. But that's not racing, I know.

Oh, and I also play golf... Hate watching golf, but I love to play it though.

To my father's chagrin, I turned my nose up at it. Good thing one of my brothers plays. I can conceptually understand how it could be fun to play, though. But I'll never understand watching it.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

Does Rollerball count? Although it hasnt really been as good as it was in the seventies. These days it seems everyone is just in it for the money.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Mr. Coffee wrote:I'm also an avid marksman. I regularly shoot IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Association), and IPSC (Intenational Practical Shooters Confederation) matches, and I've been known to take roadtrips to places like Camp Perry to watch the National Rifle & Pistol Championships (It's the world series of competitive shooting). Anyone can throw a ball. Not everyone can hit the ten ring at 1000 yards.

I do like target shooting (but not hunting).

I love racing. Not that lameass NASCAR crap though. Seriosuly, any jackass can drive in a lefthand circle all day. If you can make a left turn and can drive a car for two to six hours at a crack, you can drive NASCAR. No, I'm talking about real racing where they have RIGHT HAND TURNS, they have hills, dips, harpins, and the audience is still in danger from flying debrie from wrecks. Stuff like GP/GT events, formula one racing, sport/superbike racing.

Oh, and NHRA drag-racing. Yeah, you think "Gee, that's just driving in a straight line, right?" WRONG. When you're sitting just infront of an egine that uses nitromethane for fuel and produces more thrust than all four engines aboard a Boeing 747-400 at take-off, it's not as easy as "driving in a straight line". Engines that can propel a car from a standing stop to over 300mph in less than 6 seconds in just a 1/4mile of track. If you were to take a five mile long straight track, let a NASCAR driver get his car up to full speed, and in the last 1/4 of a mile sit an NHRA topfuel dragster down and only let it start when the NASCAR passes it, the NHRA dragster will catch up to and then pass the NASCAR before the end of the track.

I marginally like drag racing and motorcycle, snowmobile racing.....but I can't get into NAscar or Indy car racing (too many left turns). (But I don't really follow the standing or whatever).

I enjoy golf too....especially driving range "grip it and rip it" fun....but I rarely rarely watch golf (maybe a major if stumble across it).

And Rollerball was the bomb Gaz!!! (Did you watch the short lived show Roller Jam?)

I also think Slamball was quite fun to watch.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_personage
_Emeritus

Post by _personage »

Football: Boise State Broncos
NBA: Seattle Supersonics (or any team playing the Utah Jazz)
NFL: I'm with Bond on this one, life long Bengals fan here.
MLB: I used to be a hardcore Mariners fan but swore off baseball in 1994 when the strike cancelled the world series. I have not watched a game since.
_silentkid
_Emeritus

Post by _silentkid »

I'll probably take some heat for this given the number of soccer fans that have posted on this thread. I hate soccer. I find it boring--more boring than baseball. There are too many players on the field, the offside rule and exploitation of that rule make the game tedious, there is more flopping and bad acting than in a Spurs game, the clock counts the wrong way and never stops, and an arbitrary amount of time (stoppage time) is added on after the game is over to allow for time lost when the game should have been stopped. It makes no sense. Flame away.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

silentkid wrote:I'll probably take some heat for this given the number of soccer fans that have posted on this thread. I hate soccer. I find it boring--more boring than baseball. There are too many players on the field, the offside rule and exploitation of that rule make the game tedious, there is more flopping and bad acting than in a Spurs game, the clock counts the wrong way and never stops, and an arbitrary amount of time (stoppage time) is added on after the game is over to allow for time lost when the game should have been stopped. It makes no sense. Flame away.

I'm not going to flame....I agree with all those points. Except I don't find it boring (football has 11 players too ;)

Edit: Actually when MLS (Major League Soccer the 1st Division in America for you newbies) first started the clock counted down to zero attempting to create casual fans....but that ticked off the hardcore fans...so after 15 years or whatever the new generation has come along more used to the clock counting up to 90 minutes.

Anyway:

The reasons I do like soccer (particularly following European teams):

1) The players are in shape.....I'm so tired of baseball players being called athletes when they're 20 lbs overweight.

2) The (European) fans are absolutely amazing....they sing, they chant, they're interested. It's amazing to hear 70,000 people singing a song acapella.

3) With all the Euro basketball players its the same as soccer just about (so I can live with it)

4) No commercials!!! I'm so tired of a basketball game going to commercial twice within 14 Seconds of game time....soccer just goes (and I like that).

5) It's really hard to control a ball without using the hands....and those guys are really good. When you take the hand out of hand-eye cordination it really shows that people are skilled.

6) The regulation system (in Europe): If a team stinks it up, they literally can play themselves right out of money and have to be regulated to a lower division.

7) The fans giving nicknames.....rather than having management force a nickname onto a team...the team name is usually generic (Manchester United) while the fans provide the nickname (Red Devils). Same with many other teams....(Arsenal FC, The Gunners) (Chelsea FC, The Blues), (West Ham United, The Hammers) as you can guess many teams go with unofficial nicknames that make sense....like Arsenal=Gunners.

Incidently::The USA National Soccer Team plays China tonight (6/2) at 8 PM EST on ESPN2.

Update: USA won 4-1.
Last edited by QuestionEverything on Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_personage
_Emeritus

Post by _personage »

Mr. Coffee wrote:I guess I'm an oddball as I can't stand Baseball (BORING!), I think american football is both boring and weak, and Basketball is dull, and NASCAR is just plain lame.

But I do love my Hockey. Detriot, baby! The Redwings, along with Motown, are one of the few Good Things(TM) to come from Detriot. Hockey takes skill, unlike Baseball, American Football, or Baseketball. Any jackass can toss a ball around or run with a ball. But it takes a little skill to iceskate while handling a puck, dodging the other team's players, keeping aware of your teammates locations so you can pass if you have to, and trying to get that puck into that little gap between the edge of the goal and the goalie.

I'm also an avid marksman. I regularly shoot IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Association), and IPSC (Intenational Practical Shooters Confederation) matches, and I've been known to take roadtrips to places like Camp Perry to watch the National Rifle & Pistol Championships (It's the world series of competitive shooting). Anyone can throw a ball. Not everyone can hit the ten ring at 1000 yards.

I love racing. Not that lameass NASCAR crap though. Seriosuly, any jackass can drive in a lefthand circle all day. If you can make a left turn and can drive a car for two to six hours at a crack, you can drive NASCAR. No, I'm talking about real racing where they have RIGHT HAND TURNS, they have hills, dips, harpins, and the audience is still in danger from flying debrie from wrecks. Stuff like GP/GT events, formula one racing, sport/superbike racing.

Oh, and NHRA drag-racing. Yeah, you think "Gee, that's just driving in a straight line, right?" WRONG. When you're sitting just infront of an egine that uses nitromethane for fuel and produces more thrust than all four engines aboard a Boeing 747-400 at take-off, it's not as easy as "driving in a straight line". Engines that can propel a car from a standing stop to over 300mph in less than 6 seconds in just a 1/4mile of track. If you were to take a five mile long straight track, let a NASCAR driver get his car up to full speed, and in the last 1/4 of a mile sit an NHRA topfuel dragster down and only let it start when the NASCAR passes it, the NHRA dragster will catch up to and then pass the NASCAR before the end of the track.

My guess is that you have never played football, basketball or baseball or you would not make an asinine comment like that. You were probably the frustrated kid who had to endure hours of tuba practice while the normal kids got busy on the field.
I won't bag on hockey or racing because I don't pay enough attention to either of those so called sports to make an argument against them. I do know enough about the hobby of shooting a gun to know that it is not a sport.
I am one "jacckass" who will always have fond memories of "running with a ball" for my school. I would wager that the atmosphere of your practical shooting get togethers falls a bit short when compared to what is experienced in real competition.
_Mr. Coffee
_Emeritus

Post by _Mr. Coffee »

Hey everyone, look! Someone's ass has been chapped!

personage wrote:My guess is that you have never played football, basketball or baseball or you would not make an asinine comment like that.

Played 'em all. And I can say with authority that I took harder hits playing Hockey then I ever did in football, needed greater coordination to handle a puck while skating than I ever did dribbling a ball on hardwood, and gort a hell of a lot more exercise skatting my narrow ass up and down an ice rink then I ever did standing around second base.

“F”, I've got more respect for soccor and rugby players then I do for anyone that plays Baseball, basketball, or Football.

personage wrote: You were probably the frustrated kid who had to endure hours of tuba practice while the normal kids got busy on the field.

As opposed to the retarded jock that couldn't spell his own name if it wasn't stenciled on his jersey?

And I played Bass guitar for the percussion squad and bass and guitar for Jazz Band. Got laid a lot too. Band chicks are cleaner than cheerleaders and they know how to have fun in the sack. While you were busy slapping another mans ass in the locker room, I was banging your girlfriend behind the PA system after band practice.

personage wrote:I won't bag on hockey or racing because I don't pay enough attention to either of those so called sports to make an argument against them.

So if you know “F” all about hockey then why are you trying to claim that football, baseketball, or baseball are somehow better? I've played hockey, baseball, football, and basketball, and I've raced both motorcycles and dragracing. I can speak from having BEEN THERE/DONE THAT, meanwhile your candyass is sitting there whining about "oh, noes, he made fun of my favorite sport...".

personage wrote:I do know enough about the hobby of shooting a gun to know that it is not a sport.

Spoken like a true retard.

So you know jack and crap about it, yet you can say it isn't something? Try it sometime, jackass. You'll find that it takes a hell of a lot of skill to not shoot maggie's drawers.

personage wrote:I am one "jacckass" who will always have fond memories of "running with a ball" for my school. I would wager that the atmosphere of your practical shooting get togethers falls a bit short when compared to what is experienced in real competition.

Yeah, we usually celebrate after a competition by having a few beers and then going home to “F” our wives or girlfriends. meanwhile dumbass jocks like you are asking us if we'd like some hot wings with our next round of beers.

Tell ya what, sport... Why don't you lurk a while, let your testicles decend and some hair grow on your flaccid little wanger before you try addressing your betters again.
On Mathematics: I divided by zero! Oh SHI....
_personage
_Emeritus

Post by _personage »

Wow bass huh! that's impressive. Hows Smoke on the Water coming along. Playing a bass guitar actually takes less skill than playing the tuba. I know that for a fact. I spent the 80s fronting a rock band touring all over the western U.S. and Canada. I'm not talking about the annual performence at your school gym, but the kind where people actually pay good money to see an actual concert. I have been on stage in front of crowds from four to ten thousand people at a time. I'm not a jock, just a guy who got some touches at running back in high school. I made a living playing music for several years. I had a recording contract before grunge ruined my carreer. Then I moved on.
I do know a thing or two about getting laid. I'm just not going to get into that here.
_Mr. Coffee
_Emeritus

Post by _Mr. Coffee »

personage wrote:Blah blah blah, more meaningless BS, blah blah blah, talking out of my ass, blah blah blah

Noticed you gave up on the "My sport is cooler" angle there, Champ. Instead you try to say that bass is somehow an easy instrument to play...

Yeah, maybe if you're a complete tool that plays with a pick. It took me less time to learn how to play guitar proficiently than it did to learn bass. I can rip right through crap like wruption without batting an eye, but playing Victor Wooten's version of Amazing Grace still gives me a bit of trouble.

Oh, and don't blame grunge because you suck. Blaming a genre of music for your failure in the music industry would be like me blaming semi-automatic pistols for not winning a skeetshooting compitition. You're basically telling us that guys with less musical talent than the damned Sex Pistols managed to outclass you.

Doesn't say much about your chops there, Yngwie.
On Mathematics: I divided by zero! Oh SHI....