Life has no meaning anymore...

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Ray A

Post by _Ray A »

I suggest you read Wayne Dyer's Your Erroneous Zones.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Josephine Tey's "Daughter of Time" is a kind of detective story about Richard the III. Sometimes you can find it in a volume that includes excertps from all the various historical accounts the characters sift through...

I've always wanted to read the "religious"/fantasy trilogy by Philip Pullman "His Dark Materials."
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

Thanks all,

I'm off to the library this afternoon, been a fairly good day. I am so blessed, the exertion of this weekend, coupled with the lack of sleep has shown me that I'm completely healed from my stroke in April. I'm so happy!

Now to find a permanent job...I got an interesting call on Friday which might lead to a new career, so we'll see. I'm willing to try just about anything at the moment. :-)
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Re: Life has no meaning anymore...

Post by _Mercury »

GIMR wrote:Let's ignore the fact that I'm deliberately two months behind most everyone else in things that I do that have to do with contemporary culture...

I just finished the last Harry Potter book early this morning, and I have no idea what to do with myself. Any suggestions? Because I might just start all over again, the books were that good. I started book one back after seeing movie 5 (I figured I'd better start reading them around that time).

I'm going to turn into more of a freak than I am. Please help. Other good reading? The genre doesn't matter to me, I like pretty much everything.

I recommend Carl Sagan's "Demon Haunted World". Very educational.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_richardMdBorn
_Emeritus

Post by _richardMdBorn »

Longitude by Dava Sobel is a good read. It's about a clockmaking genius, John Harrison, and his solving the longitude problem. The quest to get credit was a big struggle.
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

Ah, relief!

Thanks for all who gave book recommendations, I will have to put them on my list. I'm definitely PO'd that school is on hold for me, so I'm trying to get some edumacational reading in as well as leisurely.

Besides my buddy Spong (who doesn't always make sense to me at times, I think he takes the spirituality out of spirituality with a few of his musings), I finally got my hands on Letter to a Christian Nation, by Sam Harris today, as well as some books on music theory (time to get back into my talent!). I also got two books by Jean Plaidy, who does historical fiction, mostly on the English side. She did a really good book on Katherine Parr as well as Princess Mary. Trying something new, The White Guard, by Mikhail Bulgakov, as well as one more Potter-oriented book. That should hold me for a while. :-)

The History Channel has been doing this really good series called The Universe. Anyone seen it? I only got to see two of the shows this weekend...pretty cool, though. I like the latest theory on how the earth and moon came to be, they even had a computer simulation of it. I've always liked astronomy, but I'm terrible at math, not to mention in the city you can't really see much as far as the night sky is concerned...
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

Hoping you're doing okay GIMR and thinking about you.

:)