Life has no meaning anymore...

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Life has no meaning anymore...

Post by _Sam Harris »

Let's ignore the fact that I'm deliberately two months behind most everyone else in things that I do that have to do with contemporary culture...

I just finished the last Harry Potter book early this morning, and I have no idea what to do with myself. Any suggestions? Because I might just start all over again, the books were that good. I started book one back after seeing movie 5 (I figured I'd better start reading them around that time).

I'm going to turn into more of a freak than I am. Please help. Other good reading? The genre doesn't matter to me, I like pretty much everything.
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Re: Life has no meaning anymore...

Post by _The Nehor »

GIMR wrote:Let's ignore the fact that I'm deliberately two months behind most everyone else in things that I do that have to do with contemporary culture...

I just finished the last Harry Potter book early this morning, and I have no idea what to do with myself. Any suggestions? Because I might just start all over again, the books were that good. I started book one back after seeing movie 5 (I figured I'd better start reading them around that time).

I'm going to turn into more of a freak than I am. Please help. Other good reading? The genre doesn't matter to me, I like pretty much everything.

Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. By the time you finish the first 11 books and the prequel you can wait eagerly for the last book.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

Oooh...something else to get buried in. :-) Synopsis?

I like Tudor history, so occasionally when I find a good gem on that, I break away from whatever it is that I'm reading regularly.

The Potter books were awesome. I haven't turned in my TV in a month. I'm so out of touch, if it weren't for the Express newspaper on the train, I think I'd be underground.
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

Oh, and how thick are these books? I tend to read fast when I'm enjoying them...
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

I like Tudor history too GIMR. Went for a few years devouring anything I could find on that subject.

I just finished Darwin's Dangerous Idea: Evolution and the Meanings of Life by Dennett. Don't know if it is your cup of tea, but I thought it was a great read.

Go putz around amazon if nothing else and find something.

Good luck.
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

My daughter and I were just discussing how sad we were that the Harry Potter series was finished! It's sad, isn't it? I think we're going to make up new adventures for Harry and his friends ourselves!

KA
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

Hey Book of Mormon,

The title sounds intriguing, I think I've seen you post about it before. I'll see if the local library has it, can't be buying any books lately. *sigh* HP was a rare treat.

I'm kind of mad, my school has me on a freeze because some idiot told me I had summer aid when I didn't so I applied for classes with no way to pay for them. I dropped them, but one day too late, so now I owe my school $1300. I plan to write them about this, but meanwhile they're holding my transcripts, financial aid, and refusing to let me sign up for any classes until I pay this balance. I feel like a debtor, not a student.

So I gotta try and fill my head elsewhere meanwhile.

I honestly don't know why people think I have money growing out of my.... :-)
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

GIMR wrote:Hey Book of Mormon,

The title sounds intriguing, I think I've seen you post about it before. I'll see if the local library has it, can't be buying any books lately. *sigh* HP was a rare treat.

I'm kind of mad, my school has me on a freeze because some idiot told me I had summer aid when I didn't so I applied for classes with no way to pay for them. I dropped them, but one day too late, so now I owe my school $1300. I plan to write them about this, but meanwhile they're holding my transcripts, financial aid, and refusing to let me sign up for any classes until I pay this balance. I feel like a debtor, not a student.

So I gotta try and fill my head elsewhere meanwhile.

I honestly don't know why people think I have money growing out of my.... :-)

Oh my goodness! What a nightmare!

Oh, isn't that the most infuriating when you trust an individual is proficient at their job and unbeknownst to you they are completely incompetent!!?

So terribly sorry GIMR. I certainly hope you get this straightened out immediately.

Why don't you join us in the chatroom GIMR?
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Looking for more books? The Urth of the New Sun series by Gene Wolfe would be a very good read. The first book in this series is called Shadow and Claw.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_skippy the dead
_Emeritus

Re: Life has no meaning anymore...

Post by _skippy the dead »

The Nehor wrote:
GIMR wrote:Let's ignore the fact that I'm deliberately two months behind most everyone else in things that I do that have to do with contemporary culture...

Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. By the time you finish the first 11 books and the prequel you can wait eagerly for the last book.

Excellent series! I've been reading (and re-reading) these for years. I was just thinking of going through them again.

And GIMR - they're nice and thick books. Lots of story to tell.
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe / But at least I'm enjoying the ride.
-Grateful Dead (lyrics by John Perry Barlow)