Tragedy strikes close to home

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Tragedy strikes close to home

Post by _Dr. Shades »

This happened a week ago last Saturday, but I haven't really been in the mood to post about it until now. Maybe you'll understand why shortly.

First, a little background information: Christopher Bain ("Chris" for short) was my mother's boyfriend through High School until she moved her Senior Year. 18 years or so later he looked her up. He came to visit whereupon I met him for the first time. Cool guy all around.

Later that year we took a vacation to Southern California where we got to see his brand-new house, a beautiful place in Escondido overlooking the San Diego Wild Animal Park.

Fast-forward a couple of years. I was in Boot Camp in the Marine Corps Recruit Depot in San Diego, and Chris, his wife, and his infant son came to visit during that one brief day of free time they give you the week before you graduate. I can't tell you how nice it was to have someone there with whom to visit.

Chris was also there with my mother & younger brothers when they drove in to watch me graduate.

A month later I was in Camp Pendleton, north of San Diego, for the School of Infantry. Chris was kind enough to let me spend a few weekends at his place, picking me up and dropping me back off again. It was a lifesaver to get away from the base for a couple of days at a time for a little normalcy.

He was even nice enough to correspond with me a few times on my mission.

Like I said, Chris Bain was a great guy all-around. I can't say a single thing bad about him.

At any rate, not last Saturday but the Saturday before last he received the order to evacuate due to the Southern California wildfires we've all been hearing about. But for some inexplicable reason, he & his wife failed to do so. I don't know if he was trying to salvage some belongings, fight the fire himself, or whatever--no one knows--but after the fire swept through they found the bodies of Chris & his wife in a cinderblock building behind his house.

So, this tragedy has hit a bit close to home for me, since it took the lives of some people who I was happy to call friends and who were very kind to me at a very vulnerable point in my life.

Therefore:

CHRISTOPHER "CHRIS" BAIN
VICTORIA "VICKI" FOX BAIN
1949 - 2007
REST IN PEACE
Last edited by Alexa [Bot] on Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Oh my goodness, Shades!

:(

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your extended family.

Did their child also perish in the fire?
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

My condolences, Dr. Shades.

I'm so sorry about the loss of your friend.

Kimberly Ann
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Thanks to all who have responded so far.

liz3564 wrote:Did their child also perish in the fire?

I doubt it, since he wasn't mentioned. He'd be 20 by now anyway, (my how time flies), so I imagine he was out of the house anyway, either to college or elsewhere.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Dr. Shades wrote:Thanks to all who have responded so far.

liz3564 wrote:Did their child also perish in the fire?

I doubt it, since he wasn't mentioned. He'd be 20 by now anyway, (my how time flies), so I imagine he was out of the house anyway, either to college or elsewhere.

I just wondered if you had had any contact with him.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

liz3564 wrote:I just wondered if you had had any contact with him.

No, unfortunately. Complacency overtook me and I hadn't been in contact with any of them for longer than I care to admit.

--Louis Midgley
_Always Thinking
_Emeritus

Post by _Always Thinking »

That is heartbreaking! I'm so sorry!
Fidelity
Raindrops
The Call

“If God dwells inside us like some people say, I sure hope He likes enchiladas, because that's what He's getting” -Jack Handy
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

Shades, I'm so sorry! What a terrible circumstance...

Sorry.
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

Horrific. Very sad.

Sorry to hear it.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_karl61
_Emeritus

Post by _karl61 »

My thoughts and prayers are with you and family.

regards,

thestyleguy
I want to fly!