What are you reading?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Re: What are you reading?

Post by _honorentheos »

Speaking about the book Life of Pi, just me wrote:
Okay I finished the book about a week ago. It was a little hard for me to get through, To be honest.

The beginning author's note that you are talking about reminded me a bit of the Book of Mormon intro. I think it was added just to make the fictional tale more fantastic and realistic. An invitation for readers to suspend disbelief.

Interesting comparison. To be honest, I almost didn't read the book because of it. Not because of the actual message, but because it seemed like something contrived to generate reading group "buzz". But you're probably right - it helps to put the reader in the mind set that this may have actually happened.

I am not sure how the story was supposed to make one believe in God. It sure didn't seem to be an argument for the existence of a god to me. I did enjoy how Pi gets involved in three major world religions.

It was a fantastic tale and humorous in parts.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

A
L
E
R
T
!
!
!

I read this when I was just beginning to grapple with the history issues in Mormonism and deciding, "What should I do? What does it mean?" For me, the novel had the opposite effect than the subtext suggested - it gave me permission to consider that belief in God really was just a preference rather than an obligation.

When Pi told the alternative ending to the Japanese interviewers, what struck me as I was reading it was this: he had projected all of the most base, animalistic characteristics of the human characters onto an animal. So when he says of the cook that he not only was evil, but he brought out the evil in Pi, I thought that Richard Parker was a defense mechanism on which Pi projected responsibility for his actions. He was just as animalistic as the tiger, the cook was as animalistic and brutal as a hyena, and his mother was just as strong but outmatched, and missing her children, as Orange Juice. But for some reason, Pi exercised a preference to avoid confronting this and reconstructed the story in a way that made him feel better about himself. That bothered me. "So it is with God" he says. And that struck me. Hard.

So when Pi asks which story the Japanese interviewers preferred, the one with animals or the one without anything they found hard to believe, it had a different effect on me than I think the author intended. He suggested that all that mattered to the hearer were a few external events and their results - the ship did sink, Pi lost his family, he survived. In either version of the story, did it really change anything of consequence? seems to be his contention. And I practically shouted, "It does!" To deny humanity in all its forms, projecting onto animals the worst in order to preserve the ideal of mankind seemed to be more than a preference without consequence to me.

Like the fictional author and the Japanese interviewers I liked the story with the tiger better. But I disagreed it was a question of preference. And with that, I thought: My preference that the church be true also doesn't matter. Either there was a tiger or there wasn't. Either Pi killed a french cook who killed his mother or he didn't. And contrary to Pi's assertion, the truth mattered. It wasn't just a preference. And so it is with God.

So, in a way, this book was a twig in the stream of my life that changed it's whole course.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts, JM! And if you're thinking of seeing the movie, I enjoyed it. One of the few I'd say is worth seeing in 3D. But even without 3D, it's gorgeously shot.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

denis johnson
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_MrStakhanovite
_Emeritus

Post by _MrStakhanovite »

2/3rds finished with this.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

MrStakhanovite wrote:2/3rds finished with this.

Preach it Boney M
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

The Blond Knight of Germany.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_MrStakhanovite
_Emeritus

Blixa wrote:
MrStakhanovite wrote:2/3rds finished with this.

Preach it Boney M

Its funny you bring that song up, since it trades in many of the myths that have grown up around one of my favorite Russian starets. Fuhrmann does a good explaining how the police detached to protect (and spy on) Grigory noted everyday he visited prostitutes everyday and concluded he must have had a voracious sexual appetite, but when Edvard Radzinsky tracked down some of the younger prostitutes who were still alive in his day, none of them reported actually having sex. Their reports mostly say that he had them undress before him and lay beside him while he mumbled incomprehensible things to himself, before he got up and left.

This was during a time towards the end after an already failed assassination attempt that left him in a spiritual crisis. Fuhrmann thinks (along with other scholars) that Grigory was exercising his will to resist temptation and regain some of his lost spiritual testimony he had during his major conversion earlier in life.

And to give my slant on things:

No, the museum in Russia does not actually have his penis.

He was not poisoned, shot 4 times, and then drowned in the mighty Volga. In what is left of his autopsy (damn Bolsheviks), there was no trace of cyanide in his system and there was no water in his lungs. A pistol shot (of unknown size) to his forehead killed him instantly. His assassins did try to poison him, but I think they had a placebo and were not aware of it, hence the need for the gun.

He was not a priest or a monk. He was semi-literate who had a talent for manipulating people. He had almost no formal training and disdained the learned men in the Russian Church mostly (except those that were useful to him, such as Bishop Feofan).

I also strongly suspect that in his youth, Rasputin was introduced to the Khlysty and later reproduced parts of their worship for his own passions. I wrote a bit about them here.
_hans castorp
_Emeritus

Post by _hans castorp »

My favorite beer label, though not my favorite beer.

hc
Blog: The Use of Talking

"Found him to be the village explainer. Very useful if you happen to be a village; if not, not." --Gertrude Stein
_hans castorp
_Emeritus

Post by _hans castorp »

I tend to keep quite a few books going at once; some I even finish.

Right now, I'm reading:

Robert Bellah's Religion in Human Evolution, full of interesting stuff. I'm not sure yet (I'm about halfway through) what he makes out of all of it.

G.R.S. Mead: Thrice-Greatest Hermes. A wonderful, if slightly loony, omnium-gatherum of texts and commentary on the Hermetic literature by nineteeth-century Theosophy's leading scholar. Too bad almost all of his conclusions are wrong.

The Book of Mormon: A Reader's Edition. After two years, I'm up to Alma 42!

Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith.

Richard Dolan: UFOs and the National Security State, volume 2. Can you prove it didn't happen?

Hans Urs von Balthasar: Theodrama volume 3: Dramatis Personae. I love von B. I sometimes (make that often) have only the vaguest idea of what he's talking about, but man, can he dazzle. There's nothing like that old German (Swiss, actually) erudition. Von B.and Karl Barth rock!
Blog: The Use of Talking

"Found him to be the village explainer. Very useful if you happen to be a village; if not, not." --Gertrude Stein
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

I picked up Smilla's Sense of Snow again last night. It's a fairly mediocre novel, but with great swaths of description. I just dipped into it for food and clothes.

Like HC, I am usually reading 5-6 books at an given time, not counting reading done for classes. If I have the $ for new books, I'll ramp up my reading over winter break.

However, I do still have that new Brigham Young bio sitting around untouched. I gave it a quick scan when it came, but I need to give it a proper read with notes.
_MrStakhanovite
_Emeritus

I'm reading a post-humous publication of notes left by Wittgenstein called "On Certainty" for a class and I've pretty much had my fill of insane Austrians/Germans who leave angry scribbles behind that I'm supposed to derive meaning from. Here is a taste of the madness...

WTFBBQSauceYME wrote:74. Can we say: a mistake doesn't only have a cause, it also has a ground? I.e., roughly: when someone makes a mistake, this can be fitted into what he knows aright.

75. Would this be correct: If I merely believed wrongly that there is a table here in front of me, this might still be a mistake; but if I believe wrongly that I have seen this table, or one like it, every day for several months past, and have regularly used it, that isn't a mistake?

76. Naturally, my aim must be to give the statements that one would like to make here, but cannot make significantly.

77. Perhaps I shall do a multiplication twice to make sure, or perhaps get someone else to work it over. But shall I work it over again twenty times, or get twenty people to go over it? And is that some sort of negligence? Would the certainty really be greater for being checked twenty times?

78. And can I give a reason why it isn't?

This is how I want to turn in my next paper. Numbered aphorisms that are filled with half ideas.