What are you reading?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Re: What are you reading?

Post by _Kevin Graham »

Now is the time to sit down and watch the comedy with Eddie Murphy, "The Distinguished Gentleman."
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

Ceeboo wrote:"I Wish There Was Something Left Of Far Left" by beastie

Peace,
Ceeboo

snort!

I'm actually taking a break from my beloved murder mysteries and reading something not partisan, but still related to politics, although not overtly political.

Plutocrats: The Rise of the New Global Super-Rich and the Fall of Everyone Else
by Chrystia Freeland
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_Bret Ripley
_Emeritus

Post by _Bret Ripley »

Norman Mailer's "The Executioner's Song".
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

Bob Loblaw wrote:I'm sick of talking about politics. What books are you reading?

I'm reading "A World at Arms: A Global History of World War II" by Gerhard Weinberg. And I've been listening to the audiobook of Pete Townshend's "Who I Am" when I'm driving.

My current read is always a part of my signature.

During the election season, my reading slowed WAY down. Last read was Cloud Atlas, which was ambitious and sometimes overreaching, but beautifully written and imaginative. I recommend it. (Haven't seen the movie yet, but I'd recommend reading the book first.)

Currently reading 1493, which on the whole is pretty interesting, but I'm finding it a little monotonous towards the end.

I'm interested in reading Townshend's book, I've heard some good things about it.
I would recommend Life by Keith Richards. I picked it up expecting a real life Spinal Tap movie, a Sex-Drugs-Rock-n-Roll voyeuristic experience, but found a suprisingly fascinating life, and a well written book.

The best of that genre I've read is Bob Dylan's Chronicles. Can't wait for volume 2.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_Bob Loblaw
_Emeritus

Post by _Bob Loblaw »

MeDotOrg wrote:My current read is always a part of my signature.

I loved 1491 and will have to read 1493 soon. The history of the Americas is fascinating in ways that the simplistic Lamanite narrative could never be.

During the election season, my reading slowed WAY down. Last read was Cloud Atlas, which was ambitious and sometimes overreaching, but beautifully written and imaginative. I recommend it. (Haven't seen the movie yet, but I'd recommend reading the book first.)

I'm always wary of popular books (does that make me a snob?), but I've been bitten before. I read the DaVinci Code because a lot of people were saying it was great, and it ended up being one of the few books that made me feel stupider when I finished than when I started. Just awful.

I'm interested in reading Townshend's book, I've heard some good things about it.
I would recommend Life by Keith Richards. I picked it up expecting a real life Spinal Tap movie, a Sex-Drugs-Rock-n-Roll voyeuristic experience, but found a suprisingly fascinating life, and a well written book.

What I like about Townshend's book is its brutal honesty, which I value highly in autobiography. He's pompous, fragile, and sometimes an "arsehole" as he puts it. I am really enjoying it. Part of it is that I'm listening to him narrate his own book, and the pain, the humor, the personal investment really come through in his voice.

The best of that genre I've read is Bob Dylan's Chronicles. Can't wait for volume 2.

Will have to check that out, too.
"It doesn't seem fair, does it Norm--that I should have so much knowledge when there are people in the world that have to go to bed stupid every night." -- Clifford C. Clavin, USPS

"¡No contaban con mi astucia!" -- El Chapulin Colorado
_Bob Loblaw
_Emeritus

Post by _Bob Loblaw »

Analytics wrote:Is he disappointed that the thing about not dying before he got old hasn't worked out? I love the Who.

There's a great tension in the book between his wanting to be "normal" and the pull of the pretentious artist/decadent rock star lifestyle. Great read.

I'm in the middle of Night Soldiers by Alan Furst. On the non-fiction side, The Clash of Cultures by John Bogle and Better Off Without 'Em by Chuck Thompson.

I haven't hear of Night Soldiers. The latter book is the one about right-wing southerners seceding, right?
"It doesn't seem fair, does it Norm--that I should have so much knowledge when there are people in the world that have to go to bed stupid every night." -- Clifford C. Clavin, USPS

"¡No contaban con mi astucia!" -- El Chapulin Colorado
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

MeDotOrg wrote: Last read was Cloud Atlas, which was ambitious and sometimes overreaching, but beautifully written and imaginative. I recommend it. (Haven't seen the movie yet, but I'd recommend reading the book first.)

Just started Cloud Atlas this last week. No spoilers, please. :)

Also bought The Generals - American Military Command from World War II to Today by Thomas E. Ricks.

History has been kind to the American generals of World War II—Marshall, Eisenhower, Patton, and Bradley—and less kind to the generals of the wars that followed. In The Generals, Thomas E. Ricks sets out to explain why that is. In part it is the story of a widening gulf between performance and accountability. During the Second World War, scores of American generals were relieved of command simply for not being good enough. Today, as one American colonel said bitterly during the Iraq War, “As matters stand now, a private who loses a rifle suffers far greater consequences than a general who loses a war.”
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_cinepro
_Emeritus

Post by _cinepro »

I'm finally reading the Parley P. Pratt bio by Teryl Givens that I bought last year. It's really good. I've been meaning to share some of the more interesting highlights.

It's funny/sad how Pratt was always in a financial bind, but when he told the stories about his creditors coming after him, he turned it into religious persecution.
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

Has anyone else read The Righteous Mind, by Jonathan Haidt?

Given the topics of this board I think many people here would find it insightful from both sides of the political and Mormon aisle. One of the better books on politics from a social-psych perspective.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Ceeboo wrote:Hey Bob :smile:

Currently, I am reading the off-topic forum on the MDB.

Peace,
Ceeboo

+1
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent