What are you reading?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_MCB
_Emeritus

Re: What are you reading?

Post by _MCB »

I am reading this:
http://www.fairlds.org/authors/bickmore ... ristianity

Probably the best piece of Mormon apologetics I have ever read!! :wink:
Huckelberry said:
I see the order and harmony to be the very image of God which smiles upon us each morning as we awake.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/a ... cc_toc.htm
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

I've recently started the final push to completing In the Name of Identity: Violence and the Need to Belong by Amin Maalouf. I've been reading the book on-and-off for about four years now. For some reason, I can only take it in small doses (it takes a while for me to fully digest it). I've really enjoyed it though, and I don't know what I'll do once it's no longer a constant in my life.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_MCB
_Emeritus

Post by _MCB »

http://www.mormondiscussions.com/phpBB3 ... 32#p658332

Looks good, Ludvig, but I already have so much on my reading/writing plate that they are WAAY down on my list. :cry:
Huckelberry said:
I see the order and harmony to be the very image of God which smiles upon us each morning as we awake.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/a ... cc_toc.htm
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

David Carkeet.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

also some old Rosamund Lehmann
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_just me
_Emeritus

Post by _just me »

Just finished Carl Sagan's The Demon-Haunted World.

Now I shall begin The Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling.
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

50 Shades of Grey
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_just me
_Emeritus

Post by _just me »

just me wrote:
honorentheos wrote:One of my favorites.

Would you mind posting your thoughts when you finish? NO SPOILERS here, just a question: Did your copy include cover promo text that suggested the book would "make you believe in God"? When you finish, I'd be very interested in your thoughts on how that relates to the story.

I'm just over halfway. I'll lecha know.

Okay I finished the book about a week ago. It was a little hard for me to get through, To be honest.

The beginning author's not that you are talking about reminded me a bit of the Book of Mormon intro. I think it was added just to make the fictional tale more fantastic and realistic. An invitation for readers to suspend disbelief.

I am not sure how the story was supposed to make one believe in God. It sure didn't seem to be an argument for the existence of a god to me. I did enjoy how Pi gets involved in three major world religions.

It was a fantastic tale and humorous in parts.
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~
_zeezrom
_Emeritus

Post by _zeezrom »

Tess
Oh for shame, how the mortals put the blame on us gods, for they say evils come from us, but it is they, rather, who by their own recklessness win sorrow beyond what is given... Zeus (1178 BC)

The Holy Sacrament.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

The David Carkeet I mentioned was his "trilogy" about a linguist and his more recent "From Away.'

I've also just finished about a month being completely drenched in Flannery O'Connor. Unbelievable stuff. She would find so much fodder here!