Should Utah Secede from the United States?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Should Utah Secede from the United States?

Post by _moksha »

On the KUTV in Salt Lake City, there was a news story tonight about a petition on the White House website about Utah secession from the USA.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsoutofcontext/55266368-64/meeting-president-utah-state.html.csp

This might represent a chance for the Kingdom of Deseret to rise again.

I was thinking about the Quorum serving as the legislative branch and the First Presidency as the executive branch.

Mitt Romney could serve as head of State for meeting foreign dignitaries after sundown. Glenn Beck could serve as Ambassador-at-Large, and President Boyd K. Packer could be Director of Small Factory Emissions.

This would show Obama a thing or two. Sound workable?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Drifting
_Emeritus

Re: Should Utah Secede from the United States?

Post by _Drifting »

Fir a moment there I thought you had a copy of the agenda for the FP weekly meeting...
“We look to not only the spiritual but also the temporal, and we believe that a person who is impoverished temporally cannot blossom spiritually.”
Keith McMullin - Counsellor in Presiding Bishopric

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

moksha wrote:On the KUTV in Salt Lake City, there was a news story tonight about a petition on the White House website about Utah secession from the USA.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsoutofcontext/55266368-64/meeting-president-utah-state.html.csp

This might represent a chance for the Kingdom of Deseret to rise again.

I was thinking about the Quorum serving as the legislative branch and the First Presidency as the executive branch.

Mitt Romney could serve as head of State for meeting foreign dignitaries after sundown. Glenn Beck could serve as Ambassador-at-Large, and President Boyd K. Packer could be Director of Small Factory Emissions.

This would show Obama a thing or two. Sound workable?

It would certainly be a way of keeping out all the riff-raff from Idaho. Effing potato heads! Bomb Boise! Lebensraum!

Seriously? All this talk about secession makes me think of what on South Carolinian said after his state became the first to secede from the Union:

"South Carolina is too small to be a country, and too large to be an insane asylum."

There's a whiff of impotent bravado about the gesture...like Donald Trump calling for revolution. Their idea of America is not large enough to encompass the Democratic Party.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

47 states have already petitioned (nothing really new)...but Texas is the only close enough to possibly get the 25k signatures in one month which is required for there to be an official White House response.
Interesting
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_krose
_Emeritus

Post by _krose »

Why do they hate America so much?
"The DNA of fictional populations appears to be the most susceptible to extinction." - Simon Southerton
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

Interesting idea! I think they tried that once before. Of course being landlocked and completely surrounded by another country might be a little troublesome.

The upside is that they would finally have complete control of the populace. All those pesky non-Mormons and apostates could be shown to the boarder or concentrated in camps for re-education. Polygamy could be re-introduced (by God's revelation, of course).

They could have their own army and navy (might require building a very long ditch to the ocean). Cable companies in Deseret would only be allowed to carry KSL. The Salt Lake Tribune's presses could be legally smashed and thrown into the Jordan river. The University of Utah could be renamed Deseret Tech.

Public schools could be required to teach from an 'approved' Deseret curriculum. Importation of coffee, tea and alcohol could be banned.

A paradise.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Whether Utah secedes or not, I am predicting the State of Utah will station drug sniffing dogs at the Colorado border now that they have legalized marijuana. LDS missions to Colorado will however remain open.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

moksha wrote:Whether Utah secedes or not, I am predicting the State of Utah will station drug sniffing dogs at the Colorado border now that they have legalized marijuana. LDS missions to Colorado will however remain open.

No doubt missionaries assigned to Colorado will be provided with good brownie recipes.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_just me
_Emeritus

Post by _just me »

Quasimodo wrote:
moksha wrote:Whether Utah secedes or not, I am predicting the State of Utah will station drug sniffing dogs at the Colorado border now that they have legalized marijuana. LDS missions to Colorado will however remain open.

No doubt missionaries assigned to Colorado will be provided with good brownie recipes.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Post by _Brackite »

Utah is Not going to secede from the Nation. At least Not anytime soon.
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter