What is Obama's religion

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.

What is Obama's religion

Total votes: 0

_richardMdBorn
_Emeritus

Re: What is Obama's religion

Post by _richardMdBorn »

EAllusion wrote:
richardMdBorn wrote:Obama's comment, "The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam", should be troubling to secularists. Does this statement seem out of place to you?

I found it to be a terrible quote to my secular ear. The context involves actual dubious claims made about Muhammed, but I don't think it's good for the president of the US to use the word "must" in the context of a UN general Assembly address. Relevant to this thread, the part of this quote you cut off goes on, "yet to be credible, those who condemn that slander must also condemn the hate we see when the image of Jesus Christ is desecrated, churches are destroyed, or the Holocaust is denied."
What do you think will be the reaction of Islamists to the entire statement. Will they stop persecuting the Copts in Egypt or will they step up their demand that no one in the West be allowed to criticize Islam.

Obama has done more than GWB to entangle Christian "faith-based" organization into the government. But, since no matter what he does will be criticized by the right as crypto-atheist/muslim pandering and liberals are relatively muted in their criticism of a Democrat president, he's gotten away with it to a degree a Republican president never could.
Details please.
_richardMdBorn
_Emeritus

Post by _richardMdBorn »

Jason Bourne wrote:
richardMdBorn wrote:Obama's comment, "The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam", should be troubling to secularists. Does this statement seem out of place to you?

Context is everything Richard. Best check out the full context of this one.
I did check out the full quote before making my initial post. Obama made statements which Islamists will ignore.

Note that the head of NASA stated:

Mr Bolden said: "When I became the Nasa administrator, he [Mr Obama] charged me with three things.
"One, he wanted me to help reinspire children to want to get into science and math; he wanted me to expand our international relationships; and third, and perhaps foremost, he wanted me to find a way to reach out to the Muslim world and engage much more with dominantly Muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science, math, and engineering."
He added: "It is a matter of trying to reach out and get the best of all worlds, if you will, and there is much to be gained by drawing in the contributions that are possible from the Muslim [nations]."
So one of NASA's three top objectives is to make Muslims feel good about themselves.

My own opinion is that Obama is an atheist with Islamic leanings. Twenty some years ago public money was being used to satirize Christianity (piss Christ). We were told to accept this as artwork. Now people are under attack for using private money to criticize Islam.
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

George W Bush invited Sheikh Abdullah Bakhsh to give a benediction at the 2000 Republican convention. Does that mean he's a secret Muslim too?

One of the most serious problems the world faces is the rage of a portion of the Islamic community. That portion believes we hate them and want to destroy them. Is it so hard to imagine that fostering better relationships with the Islamic community might be a worthy goal, even if one isn't an "atheist with Islamic leanings"?

by the way, I hope you realize that as long as people like you are so vocal within the Republican party, it dimishes the party in the eyes of most Americans. If the Republican party does not find a way to stop looking like the lunatics are running the asylum, it's in trouble. It will continue to dominate the House due to gerrymandering for a while, but it will continue to lose everything else.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_krose
_Emeritus

Post by _krose »

richardMdBorn wrote:My own opinion is that Obama is an atheist with Islamic leanings.

What does that even mean?

It appears to be a clever way to smear him with the two most unpopular religious options In the country. If only you could work Satanism and Voodoo sacrifice in there as well...
"The DNA of fictional populations appears to be the most susceptible to extinction." - Simon Southerton
_Drifting
_Emeritus

Post by _Drifting »

Wikipedia states his religion as "Christianity" and cites the following references as support for that claim:

^ "American President: Barack Obama". Charlottesville, VA: Miller Center of Public Affairs, University of Virginia. 2009. Archived from the original on January 23, 2009. Retrieved January 23, 2009. "Religion: Christian"
"The Truth about Barack's Faith". Obama for America. Archived from the original on January 5, 2011. Retrieved July 1, 2012.
Miller, Lisa (July 18, 2008). "Finding his faith". Newsweek. Archived from the original on February 6, 2010. Retrieved February 4, 2010. "He is now a Christian, having been baptized in the early 1990s at Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago."
Barakat, Matthew (November 17, 2008). "Obama's church choice likely to be scrutinized; D.C. churches have started extending invitations to Obama and his family". Associated Press. msnbc.com. Archived from the original on January 24, 2009. Retrieved January 20, 2009. "The United Church of Christ, the denomination from which Obama resigned when he left Wright's church, issued a written invitation to join a UCC denomination in Washington and resume his connections to the church.".
"Barack Obama, long time UCC member, inaugurated forty-fourth U.S. President". United Church of Christ. January 20, 2009. Archived from the original on January 25, 2009. Retrieved January 21, 2009. "Barack Obama, who spent more than 20 years as a UCC member, is the forty-fourth President of the United States."
Sullivan, Amy (June 29, 2009). "The Obama's find a church home—away from home". Time. Retrieved February 5, 2010. "instead of joining a congregation in Washington, D.C., he will follow in George W. Bush's footsteps and make his primary place of worship Evergreen Chapel, the nondenominational church at Camp David.".
Kornblut, Anne E. (February 4, 2010). "Obama's spirituality is largely private, but it's influential, advisers say". The Washington Post. p. A6. Retrieved February 5, 2010. "Obama prays privately ... And when he takes his family to Camp David on the weekends, a Navy chaplain ministers to them, with the daughters attending a form of Sunday school there."

He himself stated:

My family, frankly, they weren't folks who went to church every week. My mother was one of the most spiritual people I knew but she didn't raise me in the church, so I came to my Christian faith later in life and it was because the precepts of Jesus Christ spoke to me in terms of the kind of life that I would want to lead.

Doesn't sound like an atheist...
“We look to not only the spiritual but also the temporal, and we believe that a person who is impoverished temporally cannot blossom spiritually.”
Keith McMullin - Counsellor in Presiding Bishopric

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator
_palerobber
_Emeritus

Post by _palerobber »

_palerobber
_Emeritus

Post by _palerobber »

bcspace wrote:He has no religion that I can see. But....

His foreign policy actions are often in support of extreme Islamicists and the "christian" churches he attended are not really churches at all. Left-wing policies intrinsically are atheist (the direction liberal Protestants have been going).

Considering his youth, it's very likely that under Islamic law, Muslims should consider him to be a Muslim and therefore worthy of execution for apostasy if he claims to be Christian.

it wasn't a poll, it was an intelligence test.

you failed.

again.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Piss Christ isn't a satire of Christianity. It's a beautiful, somewhat ethereal photo that, as it turns out, happens to be a cheap crucifix in a glass of piss. You wouldn't know this unless you were told. It won awards because besides being pretty it makes people reflect on the nature of beauty, blasphemy, commercialization of religious iconography, and the sacred. It's actually a pretty clever piece.

_richardMdBorn
_Emeritus

Post by _richardMdBorn »

beastie wrote:by the way, I hope you realize that as long as people like you are so vocal within the Republican party, it dimishes the party in the eyes of most Americans. If the Republican party does not find a way to stop looking like the lunatics are running the asylum, it's in trouble. It will continue to dominate the House due to gerrymandering for a while, but it will continue to lose everything else.
Thanks for the compliment. Too bad you didn't give cogent arguments. It's one thing to invite a Muslim to a ceremony. It's another thing to place feel good fairy tales as one of the three goals for NASA.

Your guy is doing such a fine job with foreign policy. Iran continues to develop atomic bombs and the missiles to deliver them. Obama did very little to help the green revolution in 2009. He was too busy trying to overthrow Haiti’s constitution. The Muslim Brotherhood controls Egypt, thanks at least in part to Obama. Obama was urged not to press for quick elections since it was clear that the MB would be the beneficiary. The MB was the most organized party and was expected to win early elections. A slower pace would have allowed other parties to organize. The MB states that, “Allah is our objective; the Prophet is our leader; the Koran is our law; Jihad is our way; dying in the path of Allah is our highest hope.” Their form of civilizational jihad will probably prove to be far more effective than Bin Laden’s approach. Obama's Director of National Intelligence James Clapper stated that the “The term ‘Muslim Brotherhood’ is an umbrella term for a variety of movements. In the case of Egypt, a very heterogeneous group, largely secular which has eschewed violence and has decried al-Qaida as a perversion of Islam. They have pursued social ends, betterment of the political order in Egypt, etc.” It doesn't sound very secular to me. The fact that Obama has such an idiot for an adviser should worry even beastie. The Obama administration corrected Clapper, but how can a DNI make such a ridiculous statement. Morsi's anti-Semitic and anti-western statements have now come to light. But they were obvious long before Obama had the Muslim brotherhood sit in the front row of his Cairo speech. Sharia law, not in theory but in practice, is Obama’s gift to Egypt. How’s that for a war on women.
_Bond James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond James Bond »

What is an atheist with Christian inclinations or Muslim inclinations?
Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded.-charity 3/7/07

MASH quotes
I peeked in the back [of the Bible] Frank, the Devil did it.
I avoid church religiously.
This isn't one of my sermons, I expect you to listen.