What is Obama's religion

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.

What is Obama's religion

Total votes: 0

_richardMdBorn
_Emeritus

What is Obama's religion

Post by _richardMdBorn »

I know that Obama claims to be a Christian but politicians assert many things for public relations which aren't true.
_krose
_Emeritus

Re: What is Obama's religion

Post by _krose »

Two more important questions are, "Why in the world would anyone care?" and "Why do you think it should be anyone's business but his?"
"The DNA of fictional populations appears to be the most susceptible to extinction." - Simon Southerton
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

I'm curious what it means to have a religious inclination? Does having a Christian inclination mean a person celebrates Christmas and Easter even if they do not believe in a literal Christ? Or something else?

Otherwise, what Krose said. The religious test for political office is Machiavellian and for a constituent to require it is to make one’s self party to the power structure and deception it creates.

Machiavelli wrote:Therefore it is unnecessary for a prince to have all the good qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always to observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and to be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

And you have to understand this, that a prince, especially a new one, cannot observe all those things for which men are esteemed, being often forced, in order to maintain the state, to act contrary to faith, friendship, humanity, and religion. Therefore it is necessary for him to have a mind ready to turn itself accordingly as the winds and variations of fortune force it, yet, as I have said above, not to diverge from the good if he can avoid doing so, but, if compelled, then to know how to set about it.

For this reason a prince ought to take care that he never lets anything slip from his lips that is not replete with the above-named five qualities, that he may appear to him who sees and hears him altogether merciful, faithful, humane, upright, and religious. There is nothing more necessary to appear to have than this last quality, inasmuch as men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, because it belongs to everybody to see you, to few to come in touch with you. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are, and those few dare not oppose themselves to the opinion of the many, who have the majesty of the state to defend them; and in the actions of all men, and especially of princes, which it is not prudent to challenge, one judges by the result.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

Seriously, Richard?
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

I tried to vote Christian but the poll would not accept it. I know of no reason to think a different answer would be correct.
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Post by _bcspace »

He has no religion that I can see. But....

His foreign policy actions are often in support of extreme Islamicists and the "christian" churches he attended are not really churches at all. Left-wing policies intrinsically are atheist (the direction liberal Protestants have been going).

Considering his youth, it's very likely that under Islamic law, Muslims should consider him to be a Muslim and therefore worthy of execution for apostasy if he claims to be Christian.
Machina Sublime
Satan's Plan Deconstructed.
Your Best Resource On Joseph Smith's Polygamy.
Conservatism is the Gospel of Christ and the Plan of Salvation in Action.
The Degeneracy Of Progressivism.
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

bcspace wrote:He has no religion that I can see. But...

In other words he believes differently than you do. Don't whine next time someone says your religion is a cult.

His foreign policy actions are often in support of extreme Islamicists

Bull. That is why he is dropping bombs on Islamic terrorists in Pakistan. You really can't be this obtuse.

and the "christian" churches he attended are not really churches at all.

And the LDS Church is a cult according to most Christians.

Left-wing policies intrinsically are atheist (the direction liberal Protestants have been going).

Right wing politics are Nazi and bigoted in nature and delusional. :ugeek:

Considering his youth, it's very likely that under Islamic law, Muslims should consider him to be a Muslim and therefore worthy of execution for apostasy if he claims to be Christian.

And this has to do what with the question.

My answer, if the man claims to worship as a Christian I believe he is a Christian.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Jason Bourne wrote: That is why he is dropping bombs on Islamic terrorists in Pakistan.

That's pretty offensive to the people being bombed.
_lulu
_Emeritus

Post by _lulu »

richardMdBorn wrote:I know that Obama claims to be a Christian but politicians assert many things for public relations which aren't true.

He was baptised in the blood of murdered Christian babies shortly after his birth in Kenya. I forget the name of the religion, Vu something.

I tried to look up the date the Mormons baptised his mother for the dead but I was blocked.
"And the human knew the source of life, the woman of him, and she conceived and bore Cain, and said, 'I have procreated a man with Yahweh.'" Gen. 4:1, interior quote translated by D. Bokovoy.
_richardMdBorn
_Emeritus

Post by _richardMdBorn »

krose wrote:Two more important questions are, "Why in the world would anyone care?" and "Why do you think it should be anyone's business but his?"
Obama's comment, "The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam", should be troubling to secularists. Does this statement seem out of place to you?