What is Obama's religion

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.

What is Obama's religion

Total votes: 0

_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Re: What is Obama's religion

Post by _EAllusion »

richardMdBorn wrote:
krose wrote:Two more important questions are, "Why in the world would anyone care?" and "Why do you think it should be anyone's business but his?"
Obama's comment, "The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam", should be troubling to secularists. Does this statement seem out of place to you?

I found it to be a terrible quote to my secular ear. The context involves actual dubious claims made about Muhammed, but I don't think it's good for the president of the US to use the word "must" in the context of a UN general Assembly address. Relevant to this thread, the part of this quote you cut off goes on, "yet to be credible, those who condemn that slander must also condemn the hate we see when the image of Jesus Christ is desecrated, churches are destroyed, or the Holocaust is denied."

Obama has done more than GWB to entangle Christian "faith-based" organization into the government. But, since no matter what he does will be criticized by the right as crypto-atheist/muslim pandering and liberals are relatively muted in their criticism of a Democrat president, he's gotten away with it to a degree a Republican president never could.
_lulu
_Emeritus

Post by _lulu »

richardMdBorn wrote:
krose wrote:Two more important questions are, "Why in the world would anyone care?" and "Why do you think it should be anyone's business but his?"
Obama's comment, "The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam", should be troubling to secularists. Does this statement seem out of place to you?

In his early 20's, Obama learned how to pilot black helecopters, frequently flying practice runs over southern UT. Now days, he sometimes takes over the controls of Marine One just to keep his skills up.

When he became a member of the IL legislature, he was invited to become a member of the Tri-lateral Commission. He accepted.

However, rumors that he is Illuminati are just stupid.

Word.
"And the human knew the source of life, the woman of him, and she conceived and bore Cain, and said, 'I have procreated a man with Yahweh.'" Gen. 4:1, interior quote translated by D. Bokovoy.
_Tarski
_Emeritus

Post by _Tarski »

More Christian than BCSpace.

By the way, what is Boyd K. Packer's religion reeeeeally?
when believers want to give their claims more weight, they dress these claims up in scientific terms. When believers want to belittle atheism or secular humanism, they call it a "religion". -Beastie

yesterday's Mormon doctrine is today's Mormon folklore.-Buffalo
_krose
_Emeritus

Post by _krose »

richardMdBorn wrote:Obama's comment, "The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam", should be troubling to secularists. Does this statement seem out of place to you?

Out of place? Of course not. The context was in the midst of angry, violent protests brought on by that really dumb, poorly dubbed video that was clearly intended to stir up Islamic anger. His statement was nothing more than a call for civility and respect for the beliefs of others.

Certainly he could have told the protesting zealots to just deal with it because we support the video maker's right to free speech, but that would not have been diplomatic and would have inflamed them even more. What he did was voice his disagreement and displeasure with the video, while not taking any action to censor it. That was the appropriate path.
"The DNA of fictional populations appears to be the most susceptible to extinction." - Simon Southerton
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Post by _bcspace »

He has no religion that I can see. But...

In other words he believes differently than you do. Don't whine next time someone says your religion is a cult.

When have I done that?

His foreign policy actions are often in support of extreme Islamicists

Bull. That is why he is dropping bombs on Islamic terrorists in Pakistan. You really can't be this obtuse.

Only so he doesn't look like he's dropping the ball on the war. Otherwise, he's supporting the extremists in the Arab Spring and aiding them in turning countries into Islamic states among other things.

and the "christian" churches he attended are not really churches at all.
And the LDS Church is a cult according to most Christians.

By definition, all religions are cults I agree.

Left-wing policies intrinsically are atheist (the direction liberal Protestants have been going).

Right wing politics are Nazi and bigoted in nature and delusional.

There's no evidence for such.

Considering his youth, it's very likely that under Islamic law, Muslims should consider him to be a Muslim and therefore worthy of execution for apostasy if he claims to be Christian.

And this has to do what with the question.

Indeed it does.

My answer, if the man claims to worship as a Christian I believe he is a Christian.

naïve. I compare such claims with adherence to Christian doctrine.
Machina Sublime
Satan's Plan Deconstructed.
Your Best Resource On Joseph Smith's Polygamy.
Conservatism is the Gospel of Christ and the Plan of Salvation in Action.
The Degeneracy Of Progressivism.
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Post by _Brackite »

I tried to vote for "other" here, but the Polls are still not working here.
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

I pity the republican party.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

richardMdBorn wrote:Obama's comment, "The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam", should be troubling to secularists. Does this statement seem out of place to you?

Context is everything Richard. Best check out the full context of this one.
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

bcspace wrote:
naïve

Yes you are. An imbecile as well.

I compare such claims with adherence to Christian doctrine.

Well you best count the LDS Church out of Christianity then.

The rest of your drivel was not worth my time.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

If Obama said he was a Mormon, many conservatives would argue that he was therefore not a Christian. If Obama said he was a Republican they would shout, "Hallelujah brother!".
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace