Teen uses AR-15 to defend his home

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Re: Teen uses AR-15 to defend his home

Post by _Quasimodo »

Droopy wrote:
Yes, absolutely! If I come home from work and find my wife being gang raped by a group of ax-wielding 200lb thugs who broke down the door, axed my dog, and went for my wife, and if I, having my AR-15 with me, shoot and kill/wound these men, then this logically justifies me going into my local grade school and killing 30 children for kicks on a Saturday afternoon. Absolutely Krose! The one just follows inferentially from the other like a well calibrated Swiss watch.

You're critical thinking abilities are so brilliant, Krose, that I need to put on sunglasses when I answer any of your intellectually shining posts.

Well done.

Wow! You must live in a really bad neighborhood!
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_Droopy
_Emeritus

Post by _Droopy »

Quasimodo wrote:
? Not at all. I was saying that one does not need military weapons to defend oneself.

The AR-15 is not a military weapon, but a sport version of the M-16, and is a single shot, semi-automatic rifle. The Beretta 9mm and M-1911 .45 semi-automatic and many similar weapons are also used or have been used by the military. I have two Japanese bolt action rifles in my shed that my Father picked up on a beach somewhere in the South Seas, which fire a single shot and must have another round placed in the chamber manually before another round can be fired. These are military weapons.

This is all nothing but a semantic game, and the only game the Left has ever been able to play with this, as with so many other issues, once they realize they have no rational, evidence-based arguments to bring to the table.

Are you saying that all weapons should be legal?

No. Have I ever made that argument?

An RPG might be an effective weapon to repel a mob breaking into your house, but you would destroy your house using it.

No, it wouldn't. A rocket assisted anti-armour projectile or missile is a shaped charge weapon intended to penetrate heavy armor and inject molten metal and shrapnel into an enclosed space. It would be all but useless against a group of men rampaging through my house. Providing one of them would stand perfectly still, I might be able to hit him, its true.

Land mines in your hallway would slow them down, too (you just need to remember where you put them). Flamethrowers? Rocket launchers to deter bad guys attacking your house in helicopters?

Let me know when you're done being silly and wish to have an intellectually serious discussion of this issue.
Nothing is going to startle us more when we pass through the veil to the other side than to realize how well we know our Father [in Heaven] and how familiar his face is to us

- President Ezra Taft Benson

I am so old that I can remember when most of the people promoting race hate were white.

- Thomas Sowell
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

Droopy wrote:Let me know when you're done being silly and wish to have an intellectually serious discussion of this issue.

I like you, Droopy, but you have no sense of humor. I was being serious in tying to point out how silly you were being.

An AR-15 is a semiautomatic assault weapon. It fires and reloads a bullet every time you pull the trigger (two to three times a second?). How many bullets does your clip hold? I was an avid hunter in my youth. I can't image a dumber weapon for deer hunting (maybe hand grenades?).

It was designed to skirt regulations and allow childish civilians to play army.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_krose
_Emeritus

Post by _krose »

Droopy wrote:Yes, absolutely! If I come home from work and find my wife being gang raped by a group of ax-wielding 200lb thugs who broke down the door, axed my dog, and went for my wife, and if I, having my AR-15 with me, shoot and kill/wound these men, then this logically justifies me going into my local grade school and killing 30 children for kicks on a Saturday afternoon. Absolutely Krose! The one just follows inferentially from the other like a well calibrated Swiss watch.

You're critical thinking abilities are so brilliant, Krose, that I need to put on sunglasses when I answer any of your intellectually shining posts.

Well done.

You're usually an amusing little ball of rage, but it's especially amusing when you feel so threatened that you instantly turn to personal insults. Perhaps I should feel honored to bring that out in you.

The gun-nut point here appears to be that any weapon which can be used to successfully protect a home must remain completely legal for civilian ownership and use, even if it is overkill for self-protection, and is the weapon of choice for mass murder. This slight possibility outweighs its obvious danger to society.

By the way, the scenario you have fantasized for your unfortunate wife is extremely unlikely, because your home invaders would most likely to be heavily armed (and certainly not with axes) and would probably shoot you first.
"The DNA of fictional populations appears to be the most susceptible to extinction." - Simon Southerton
_palerobber
_Emeritus

Post by _palerobber »

didn't read your OP, was this the kid you're talking about, bcspace?

Nehemiah Griego, 15, remained in custody Monday on charges of murder and child abuse resulting in death. He was arrested following the shootings Saturday at a home in a rural area southwest of Albuquerque, New Mexico, where he lived with his family. [...] The teen allegedly told the detective that he took a .22 calibre rifle from his parents' closet around midnight Saturday and shot his mother in the head while his younger brother slept next to her. Griego told the detective that his brother did not believe him that their mother was dead so he showed his mother's bloody face to his brother and then shot him, according to the statement. He's accused of then shooting his two young sisters in their room. He retrieved an AR-15 rifle from his parents' closet and waited in a downstairs bathroom for his father to come home. The statement said he shot his father multiple times after he passed the bathroom doorway. The teen said he reloaded the guns so "he could drive to a populated area to murder more people," according to the statement.

good thing that teen had easy access to an AR-15 so he could "defend his home".