Election Litigation Status

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Meadowchik
Priest

Re: Election Litigation Status

Post by Meadowchik »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:32 pm
If you know the person, Meadowchick, it can be a teaching opportunity. With some people, you can take an approach of "well, this guy neither of us knows says this. Let's try to figure out whether he's right." It can take lots of patience and biting one's tongue, but sometimes just going through the process of skepticism helps people see how it works.
It looks like this particular person is ghosting the conversation. But yes this is the tac I was planning to take.

They had already shown a news article with a timestamp of Wednesday morning describing the Wednesday afternoon events, saying it was proof of a Deep State-orchestrated false flag. I found the screenshotted article and posted the link, and screenshotted the link itself, which had a different title appropriate to the morning events. I explained that obviously this is probably just from the editors replacing the original article with the new updates from the ongoing situation.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Dean Robbers, one point. Using "why would they be so stupid to do it this way" is, in my opinion, an unreliable rule of thumb. With hindsight, one can always spot mistakes. In fact, making mistakes is often how fraudsters get caught.
I don't disagree, however, my real point is that the sophistication needed to pull off the previous steps of the fraud is much greater than the level of sophistication needed to carry out interspersing of the fabricated data, in any of the scenarios. I think that's important, because it's a way to keep the high ground with all the baseless claims, and put the burden back on the idiot making the claim. Make them try to at least make logical sense of what their claiming.

Certainly, in times like this, the bulk of the argument comes in the form that Doc gave in his link, with good people of the earth actually tracing down the hard answers. But I'm always looking for ways to get out of the defensive position, as the idiots making the baseless claims should be the ones playing defense.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

The good folks at Lawfare are compiling the criminal cases that have been filed arising out of Wednesday's riot. Read the descriptions of facts to see what the LEOs are saying they observed. https://www.lawfareblog.com/compiling-c ... pitol-riot
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Brack
Deacon

Post by Brack »

Supreme Court rejects fast track for Trump election cases
https://www.yahoo.com/news/supreme-cour ... 39923.html
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Parler has sued AWS for reinstatement of services in federal court in Seattle. The case is assigned to Judge Barbara Rothstein, who is an excellent, experienced judge. (I can't recall who appointed her to the bench.) Parler filed a motion for a TRO, so this should get some attention from the court shortly.

I don't recognize the lawyer who is representing Parler, but hot shot anti-trust and commercial law attorneys aren't typically based in Olympia.

https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov ... .1.0_1.pdf
he/him

Brack
Deacon

Post by Brack »

It was President Carter who appointed her.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Brack wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:49 pm
It was President Carter who appointed her.
Thanks, Brack. I was pretty sure she was on the bench when I started practicing.
he/him

Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Post by Bret Ripley »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:51 pm
I don't recognize the lawyer who is representing Parler, but hot shot anti-trust and commercial law attorneys aren't typically based in Olympia.

For what its worth: I Googled him and he seems to be based in Spokane. The Olympia address in the filing is that of a charming single-family dwelling that serves as headquarters of McBride Public Affairs LLC (lobbying firm).
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Bret Ripley wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:07 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:51 pm

For what its worth: I Googled him and he seems to be based in Spokane. The Olympia address in the filing is that of a charming single-family dwelling that serves as headquarters of McBride Public Affairs LLC (lobbying firm).
Well, that’s odd.
he/him

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

AWS brief in opposition to Parler's motion for TRO. https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov ... 10.0_1.pdf

Parler didn't do itself any favors by filing this lawsuit.
he/him