Election Litigation Status

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Meadowchik
Priest

Re: Election Litigation Status

Post by Meadowchik »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:51 pm
Parler has sued AWS for reinstatement of services in federal court in Seattle. The case is assigned to Judge Barbara Rothstein, who is an excellent, experienced judge. (I can't recall who appointed her to the bench.) Parler filed a motion for a TRO, so this should get some attention from the court shortly.

I don't recognize the lawyer who is representing Parler, but hot shot anti-trust and commercial law attorneys aren't typically based in Olympia.

https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov ... .1.0_1.pdf
Another important detail, a private team of hackers have managed to download and save the public posts on Parler, and will be making it available for researchers:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/n7vqew/ ... x2qryiJ_Wo
Attachments
IMG_20210113_162353.jpg
IMG_20210113_162353.jpg (234.11 KiB) Viewed 1500 times
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Supporters of former President Donald Trump this week filed an amended motion for a restraining order against President Joe Biden that left one veteran legal reporter stunned.

Reuters legal reporter Brad Heath on Monday posted a lawsuit filed by multiple pro-Trump organizations against multiple government officials that sought to bar President Biden from enacting any further executive orders on the basis that he is not a legitimate president.

"The Disputed President is hereby enjoined from signing any further Executive Orders without first submitting the order first to this Court for approval," the plaintiffs wrote in their request for a restraining order against Biden.

The motion also declares that all Trump executive orders reversed by Biden should automatically go back into effect.

The lawsuit also demands that the entire 2020 presidential election be thrown out so that a new election can be held.
Link to the filing:

https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov ... 7.10.0.pdf
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

canpakes wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:05 pm
The lawsuit also demands that the entire 2020 presidential election be thrown out so that a new election can be held.
I strongly suspect that if they actually succeeded in making that happen, Biden would win by an even bigger landslide than he did on Nov 3.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Are we facing a future now in which every election not won by Republicans will be automatically be challenged in court by Republicans on some specious pretext or other?
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Gunnar wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:02 am
Are we facing a future now in which every election not won by Republicans will be automatically be challenged in court by Republicans on some specious pretext or other?
Yup! Agent Trump has achieved his mission, comrades! Bourgeois democracy has been dealt a stunning blow!!!
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Gunnar wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:02 am
Maybe. That's not the most significant battle line being drawn, though.

https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/ ... undup-2021

In a backlash to historic voter turnout in the 2020 general election, and grounded in a rash of baseless and racist allegations of voter fraud and election irregularities, legislators have introduced three times the number of bills to restrict voting access as compared to this time last year. Twenty-eight states have introduced, prefiled, or carried over 106 restrictive bills this year (as compared to 35 such bills in fifteen states on February 3, 2020).

Of course, other state lawmakers are seizing on an energized electorate and persistent interest in democracy reform (which is likewise reflected in Congress). To date, thirty-five states have introduced, prefiled, or carried over 406 bills to expand voting access (dwarfing the 188 expansive bills that were filed in twenty-nine states as of February 3, 2020). Notably 93 such bills were introduced in New York and New Jersey.

With unprecedented numbers of voters casting their ballots by mail in 2020, legislators across the country have shown particular interest in absentee voting reform, with more than a quarter of voting and election bills addressing absentee voting procedures. Only seven of the forty-one states that have introduced election bills have not proposed policies to alter absentee voting procedures in some way.

With competing bills seeking to either restrict or expand voter access being fought over in state legislatures, the outcome will have an actual impact on election outcomes unlike the challenges against the 2020 general election results.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

h wrote:With competing bills seeking to either restrict or expand voter access being fought over in state legislatures, the outcome will have an actual impact on election outcomes unlike the challenges against the 2020 general election results.
H,

You know much more about these issues than I do. My understanding is that Democrats pushed mail-in voting because it would get a lot of potential democrats who are poor voting who otherwise would have a difficult time voting in person. My understanding is that Republicans pushed in-person voting in order to lay siege on remote voting, knowing they are outnumbered.

But aren't there a couple other important factors here? Isn't strategy a moving target, where people change their habits based on feedback from the system?

Given the unprecedented desperation people have felt on either side to vote this year, and given that a sitting president lied through his teeth about an election he was trying to steal being stolen, and that his gang of goons have now embraced QAnon and faqs-level dumbness and are out for a second try at a coup, couldn't this change the strategy of Democrats?

I mean, when Democrats said vote by mail, they didn't know there would be 60 baseless lawsuits, an attack on the capitol, and an unprecedented attempt to destroy votes not for Trump. Knowing what we know now, supposing that Republicans were to substantially limit remote voting, couldn't Democrats go all-in on in-person voting? Yes, it might be hard for many people, but those many people have additional reasons to be motivated now, and those organizing voting efforts such as those who did a stellar job in Georgia, as I understand it, could get a plan in place to get more people out to the voting site.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

G wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:13 pm
h wrote:With competing bills seeking to either restrict or expand voter access being fought over in state legislatures, the outcome will have an actual impact on election outcomes unlike the challenges against the 2020 general election results.
H,

You know much more about these issues than I do.
I don't know about that. And I'm not really into speculation on what strategy either party is going to take going forward.

What I do suggest, however, is finding out what bills are being proposed in your state. Then write your representatives telling them what your views are on the matter. Then tell everyone in your circle about what's going on and encourage them to do the same.

For example, check this out from my state of Arizona:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion ... ium=UpNext

Bolick is proposing that our leaders be allowed to override the state’s certification of election results and appoint presidential electors of their own choosing.

“The Legislature retains its legislative authority regarding the office of presidential elector and by majority vote at any time before presidential inauguration may revoke the secretary of state’s issuance or certification of a presidential elector’s certificate of election,” the bill says.

That "legislative authority," of course, being the superpower some Republican legislators think is conferred upon them by the U.S. Constitution, giving them the right to hijack the presidential election.

Bolick is not the only who thinks the Legislature should substitute its judgment for ours.

Sen. Kelly Townsend, R-Mesa, already proposed overthrowing the 2020 election results and declaring Donald Trump the winner of Arizona with her Senate Concurrent Resolution 2002. But she ran out of time.

Bolick’s bill would ensure that never again would the Legislature be forced to abide by the will of the little people.

Bolick, who is married to state Supreme Court Justice Clint Bolick, also proposes a variety of other bad ideas in her bill. Chief among them is a provision that judges no longer be allowed to dismiss frivilous election lawsuits.

Instead, judges would have to hold jury trials despite the lack of any actual evidence.

So if some nut wants to sue, claiming that Hugo Chavez jumped out of his grave to rig Venezuelan voting machines to steal Arizona's election from Republicans?

Yep, a full-blown jury trial.

It's that crazy.

So, set some of your DiscussMormonism time aside and spend it instead finding out what's going on in your neck of the woods. Then get active.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

honorentheos wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:20 am
G wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:13 pm

H,

You know much more about these issues than I do.
I don't know about that. And I'm not really into speculation on what strategy either party is going to take going forward.

What I do suggest, however, is finding out what bills are being proposed in your state. Then write your representatives telling them what your views are on the matter. Then tell everyone in your circle about what's going on and encourage them to do the same.

For example, check this out from my state of Arizona:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion ... ium=UpNext
That is both incredible and outrageous! How could any supposedly patriotic, liberty and democracy loving American even conceive of, let alone seriously consider proposing or supporting a bill like that even for a second? I'm sure no Republican would even begin to favor such a proposal if the shoe were on other foot, and it were a Republican nominee for President who obviously won both the popular and the Electoral College vote.

If anything, It is only the Democrats who had any virtuous and reasonable justification for demanding that the 2016 Presidential be overturned--not the Republicans in 2020, because Clinton lost only the Electoral College vote, while winning the popular vote by more than 3 million votes, whereas in 2020, Trump lost both the Electoral College vote by the same margin that Hillary did in 2016 and the popular vote by more than double the margin than he did in 2016.

Hopefully, even a majority of the Republicans in the Arizona Legislature will see how outrageously undemocratic Bolick's bill is, and will vote it down. If not, based on Governor Doucey's courageous, ethical endorsement of November's election certification, I'm fairly confident that despite being a Republican himself, he will have the courage to defy the potential censure of corrupt Arizona Republican leaders, and veto the bill.

I agree with Reach Roberts:
This may be — make that, is — the most arrogant power grab I have ever witnessed.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

I doubt that bill will pass as written but it could. I would hope the Governor would veto it if it did, but he also recently faced censure from the State GOP who reelected a crazy person in Kelli Ward as chairperson. Ducey may decide his political death isn't going to stop the inevitable so why fall on the sword if no one else is going to stand up. It's surreal.

That said, I disagree that a democratic challenge in 2016 could be called virtuous. It wasn't. The electoral college is Constitutional and how we run things. It's part of the whole way we supposedly do business that we accept outcomes we don't like when they are fairly arrived at by the agreed upon rules. So, in a sense your comment is part of the surrealism of our current moment in my mind. I don't know. I guess there is some comfort to be found in walling off in an echo chamber of agreement somewhere and inflating the sense of self righteous justification that is feeding the death spiral we are moving into at the moment. I mean I really think we are screwed now. We aren't ready to deal honestly with where we are, where we are heading economically and politically to avoid seeing the extremists on both sides winning the messaging campaign. That leads to a flip in 2022 of Congress and 2024 making 2020 look like a warm up. It's pretty crazy, really.