Election Litigation Status

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Icarus
Bishop

Re: Election Litigation Status

Post by Icarus »

This morning I voted. This time around I noticed that we had to sign our signature on a computer I-pad type device using our finger. If this thing gets audited, I totally expect them to red flag my vote since there is no way in hell that resembles my actual signature. I'm 6'3" and I had to lean down and forward with my neck tilted up just to awkwardly try to scribble something resembling my name on a 11" screen that was being held my a little old lady 4 ft off the ground.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

How strong is Trump's latest lawsuit in GA? So strong that he requested that the public and press not be allowed to listen in. That's right: the fate of 5 million votes is being determined in a secret hearing in a lawsuit by the President.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

The federal court in Georgia denied Trump's motion this morning -- order to follow this afternoon. Apparently, the lawyers weren't sanctioned, which is what passes for a "win" in Trumpland these days.
he/him

canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:37 pm
The federal court in Georgia denied Trump's motion this morning -- order to follow this afternoon. Apparently, the lawyers weren't sanctioned, which is what passes for a "win" in Trumpland these days.
RI, do you have a link to a court doc that sheds light on what Team Trump’s request concerned? I’m curious about why they felt the need to keep the public and press at bay.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

canpakes wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:40 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:37 pm
RI, do you have a link to a court doc that sheds light on what Team Trump’s request concerned? I’m curious about why they felt the need to keep the public and press at bay.
Here's the motion. https://www.democracydocket.com/wp-cont ... temp-2.pdf There's nothing requested that hasn't been requested dozens of times in these lawsuits.

It turns out that the judge was in the courtroom and some members of the press/public attended live. So maybe we'll get some reports on how the argument went.

I suspect the lawyers were afraid that the judge would chew them out during the argument and didn't want that widely reported. As far as I know, it was a pretty typical oral argument for these cases.

ETA: Motion for sanctions filed in the Great Lakes Kraken case. https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov ... 5.78.0.pdf
he/him

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Another new lawsuit: Dominion v. Sidney Powell. The complaint is long, but worth a read. https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov ... .1.0_2.pdf
he/him

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Can anyone explain the claim the election was “paused for five days”? I’m having a back and forth with a nutter and he pulled that one out. My google-fu must be weak because I’m not seeing any conspiracy theories mentioning a five day pause.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:38 am
Can anyone explain the claim the election was “paused for five days”? I’m having a back and forth with a nutter and he pulled that one out. My google-fu must be weak because I’m not seeing any conspiracy theories mentioning a five day pause.
Five days, five states...tomatoes 🍅.

https://www.Facebook.com/wayne.martella ... 8424250075
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Thanks. I was banned from their platform for tamely correcting the poster’s ‘voter fraud’ misinformation. Ironic, considering they’re literally comparing themselves to Jews being sent to concentration camps because Trump and Qanon accounts are being banned from Twitter.

This country, and by extension the world, has a serious social media problem on its hands. Who would’ve guessed people were so perfectly engineered to accept hysterical and cartoonish lies as a means to an end? Also, who would’ve guessed at just how badly people are at long-form discussion? They seem to only post accusations and declarations, but beyond that can’t settle into a breakdown of the issue that makes it understandable in a non-hysterical-bullhorn sort of way. Also also, they don’t seem to understand when they’re being manipulated.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Yeah. Spending time debating the fraud claims pre-attack on the Capital, seeing the unsettling effects the insurrectionists had, then the shift from, "Double standard if you didn't equally condemn protests over the summer", to, "Video shows the protestors were being let in by Capital Police, so the media is manipulating the story", to "censorship!!! We are becoming Communist China!" reaffirms just how intractable our problems seem to be and how dangerous the situation appears. I'm being told the truth will come out next weekend by more than a few showing no lesson learned, and doubling down by people who briefly agreed the mob on Wednesday should be criminally prosecuted even if they found it too much to agree Trump and Rudy incited it.

I've argued on this board before a big issue comes from our inclination to reduce the world down to, (nouns) are (adjectives). This inclination has been weaponized by conservative media and political combatants in ways most of us recognize when we are being lumped into the noun. Probably the most explicit examples were from Ceeboo bringing the PragerU over and claiming Leftists were the problem as if to say it was ok to have Liberal political views as long as you denounce Leftists who are evil. And of course, responses dismissed the (noun) is (adjective) argument and argued back, (verb) results in (noun/verb) consequences. So Ceebs was recognized as not communicating with his targets because the premise of Leftists are Evil was a show stopper. But for Ceebs, everything he saw in the news reaffirmed to him that Leftists are Evil so he couldn't be wrong. Eventually, the two sides stopped communicating because if you can't get past (nouns) are (adjectives) thinking one isn't going to be open to communication in helpful ways and instead has to find an echo chamber of choice. And social media/the web has this in spades.

And that's almost impossible to break out of, as it is so easy to reinforce that kind of thinking with examples one easily finds so the echo chambers become adamantine fortresses of bias confirmation. A person locked into this kind of thinking deeply enough stops thinking there are any solutions that don't involve physically removing the other party from society. Be that through police activity, military action, insurrection, or fantasy of a civil war or segregated society. And all of those are irrational views.

We are left finding it incredibly difficult to engage in dialog that breaks issues down into facts, causes and effects, and allows for complex understanding of a complicated world with problems that defy (noun) is (adjective) approaches to problem solving.

Don't know that there is anything one can do about it except repeatedly attempt to resist falling in that rut and attempt to argue the cause and effects of specifics as one can. (Noun) is (adjective) thinking will always be with us, I'm afraid.