When Locker Room Talk Leads to Violence

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Re: When Locker Room Talk Leads to Violence

Post by _Kevin Graham »

EAllusion wrote:I've never, ever heard men just straight up bragging about sexual assault. "Locker-room talk" is about bragging about sexual conquests and who you'd like to get. That happens all the time. It isn't about "Hey, check this out. I sexually assault women and get away with it!" In the real world filled with ordinary people, that will make you a pariah in an instant.

Well, obviously Melania knows more about the men's locker room than any of us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNd1q8Rn3UA
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

It occurs to me that what Drumpf wants to pass off as "locker room talk" is exactly the opposite of locker room talk. If you're going to brag about your exploits with women, the common subtext is "she wanted me." It is never "I took her because she wanted nothing to do with me."

Guys don't brag about forcing themselves on women. They brag about how they're already irresistible.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

by the way, just me... I know this thread isn't about The Hollywood Access tape, but you used the magic words "locker room talk." That's my only self-defense.
_just me
_Emeritus

Post by _just me »

Some Schmo wrote:by the way, just me... I know this thread isn't about The Hollywood Access tape, but you used the magic words "locker room talk." That's my only self-defense.

:biggrin:
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

just me wrote:I can't even with America right now.

http://www.startribune.com/officer-test ... 411680846/

So, yeah, that was disturbing. And I wonder about the significance of using the term "locker room talk" in this context. Doesn't it seem a bit strange that he would use that term to excuse racist conversation? Is "locker room talk" now the new code for "saying whatever the “F” I want whether it's morally acceptable or not" because that's what Drumpf did?
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Some Schmo wrote:...(snip)...Guys don't brag about forcing themselves on women. ...(snip)...

in spite of evidence to the contrary - wow, talk about alternative facts
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

subgenius wrote:
Some Schmo wrote:...(snip)...Guys don't brag about forcing themselves on women. ...(snip)...

in spite of evidence to the contrary - wow, talk about alternative facts

Well, one man does brag about forcing himself on women, I'll grant you that:

Trump: "I moved on her actually. You know she was down on Palm Beach. I moved on her, and I failed. I'll admit it. I did try and <f-word> her, she was married."

Unknown: "That's huge news there."

Trump: "No, no, Nancy. No this was [inaudible] and I moved on her very heavily in fact I took her out furniture shopping. She wanted to get some furniture. I said I'll show you where they have some nice furniture. I moved on her like a bitch. I couldn't get there and she was married. Then all-of-a-sudden I see her, she's now got the big phony tits and everything. She's totally changed her look."

Trump: "Yeah that's her with the gold. I better use some Tic Tacs just in case I start kissing her. You know I'm automatically attracted to beautiful... I just start kissing them. It's like a magnet. Just kiss. I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."

Bush: "Whatever you want."

Trump: "Grab them by the pussy. You can do anything."

Do you talk about women like that, subgenius?
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Chap wrote:Well, one man does brag about forcing himself on women, I'll grant you that...

Some people are so thoughtless, they think a generalization applies to everyone. I suppose for the cognitively impaired, I could have clarified with "most guys" but then again, I'm not writing for the morons out there who would like to minimize sexual assault.

Drumpf says he's leading a movement. He must mean it in the bowel sense of the word.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Chap wrote:Well, one man does brag about forcing himself on women, I'll grant you that:

care to wager if multiple men talk like that?

Chap wrote:Trump: "Grab them by the pussy. You can do anything."

your anecdote here fails to reference the "forcing" aspect...did i fail to read the part where Trump says "and she resisted" or "and she said no" or "and i had to force.." or any other such detail from that exchange? Because that would be him bragging about forcing himself....

But you bring up an interesting point - if such vulgarity, and vulgar action, is such a rare occurrence then why have so many women that just recently claim Trump behaved in such a way, not cry out when it occurred? If the reason for their silence was due to a culture of this sort of behavior then the claims of the OP are contradicted - or if they were not silent but rather their claims fell on deaf ears then again - contradicted.
So, who is being disingenuous about this matter? Is such locker room talk and such a mentality so incredibly rare that we as men are shocked and stupefied? or does it actually occur, and while such occurrences do not justify them as being right/wrong, we as men are just telling women what they want to hear in order to eventually grab them by the....

Chap wrote:Do you talk about women like that, subgenius?

It is irrelevant as to whether I have or do talk about women, a woman, or anyone else "like that".
Besides, that sort of "talk" is just talk and I believe in freedom of speech. Even if that speech is an admission of a crime, which I failed to read occurred in that instance...even if that speech is not something I agree with or find pleasing. There are very few limitations on free speech and when people are engaged in a private conversation there are even fewer limitations. While I personally may not find speaking vulgarities in public or private to be a preferred type of speech, it is certainly another person's right to determine otherwise.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Some Schmo wrote:
Chap wrote:Well, one man does brag about forcing himself on women, I'll grant you that...

Some people are so thoughtless, they think a generalization applies to everyone. I suppose for the cognitively impaired, I could have clarified with "most guys" but then again, I'm not writing for the morons out there who would like to minimize sexual assault.

Drumpf says he's leading a movement. He must mean it in the bowel sense of the word.

Says the guy who knows better than women why women get plastic surgery on their boobs.