Trump Threatens to Invade...

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Trump Threatens to Invade...

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Chicago?????

If Chicago doesn't fix the horrible "carnage" going on, 228 shootings in 2017 with 42 killings (up 24% from 2016), I will send in the Feds!

:rolleyes:
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Re: Trump Threatens to Invade...

Post by _Some Schmo »

Christ. Why did we hand all this power to a damned child?

by the way, I'm told that the American experiment is hard, but it's been working for 240 years because of checks and balances. Where the “F” are those today?
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

The disturbing subtext to this one is that this tweet was in direct response to Trump watching the O'Reiley factor. His tweets can still be easily explained in terms of what cable news program he seems to be watching at the time. And that still is a large amount of time. I don't know guys. Seems like a trait you wouldn't want in the most powerful person in the world.
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

EAllusion wrote:The disturbing subtext to this one is that this tweet was in direct response to Trump watching the O'Reiley factor. His tweets can still be easily explained in terms of what cable news program he seems to be watching at the time. And that still is a large amount of time. I don't know guys. Seems like a trait you wouldn't want in the most powerful person in the world.

It's dawned on me that my Mormon grandmas online presence is very Trumpesque. And I've become immune to her brand of conservative crazy over time. Now, I find I have to force myself to not just tune out by habit. That's kinda scary in multiple ways.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_Black Moclips
_Emeritus

Post by _Black Moclips »

All kidding aside, what will fix Chicago's problems? What government program is left that hasn't been implemented yet that we can throw billions at to end this cycle of poverty, drugs and crime Chicago?
“A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.”
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Black Moclips wrote:All kidding aside, what will fix Chicago's problems? What government program is left that hasn't been implemented yet that we can throw billions at to end this cycle of poverty, drugs and crime Chicago?

Well, what has been the trend of crime in Chicago over the last 30 years? That would be one place to start. Then do the same thing with poverty. Then review the relevant literature to look for what we've tried, evaluations of what we've tried, and things we haven't tried. Spitballing here won't answer your question.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

_Black Moclips
_Emeritus

Post by _Black Moclips »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Black Moclips wrote:All kidding aside, what will fix Chicago's problems? What government program is left that hasn't been implemented yet that we can throw billions at to end this cycle of poverty, drugs and crime Chicago?

Well, what has been the trend of crime in Chicago over the last 30 years? That would be one place to start. Then do the same thing with poverty. Then review the relevant literature to look for what we've tried, evaluations of what we've tried, and things we haven't tried. Spitballing here won't answer your question.

Yeah, its a rhetorical question. I don't expect any real answers here. I just think its funny that people laugh and ridicule Trump's comments (which, depending on what he meant by "sending in the feds" would determine what I think about it), when what they really should be laughing and ridiculing is Chicago's current government and administration.
“A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.”
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

No, that's exactly what they shouldn't be doing. If that's what you're doing, you're the problem, not the solution.

The question shouldn't be rhetorical. It should be sincere.

_just me
_Emeritus

Post by _just me »

A lot of the things that could help are very controversial.

Decriminalizing drug use, for example. Have free clean needle exchange programs. Decriminalize prostitution. Stop making poverty and homelessness a crime.

Cash for guns and programs that reward some of the most violent offenders in Chicago for NOT being violent. Again, very controversial. But if it's true that most of the violence stems from about 1300 individuals than you focus your efforts on helping those particular individuals now while laying the foundation for the next generation coming up to have more opportunity.

Put more money into healthcare, education, and infrastructure. Look at what has been working over the past 20 years to bring down crime and violence and keep doing those things.

Make guns harder to get across the country by expanding background checks and mandatory wait times. People with a history of domestic violence should be banned from ever owning a gun.

Invest in really comprehensive police training on de-escalating, dealing with mental health crises and working with the community. Train them to know the exact boundaries so they are empowered to do take the right amount of action in each instance. Invest in bodycams. We also need to encourage a change in LE so that it appeals to POC and more women. We need to encourage people from all walks of life to join the force. We need outside investigations into corruption and misconduct.

Or we can send in "the Feds." Whatever the hell that means.
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~