Trump: Anti-semitic attacks possible 'false-flag' ops

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Trump: Anti-semitic attacks possible 'false-flag' ops

Post by _MeDotOrg »

If patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel, I'm not sure what this is:

New York Times wrote:Trump suggests anti-Semitic acts are ‘false-flag’ attacks

President Trump suggested on Tuesday that the recent spate of anti-Semitic bomb threats and cemetery vandalism could be politically coordinated attacks to “make people look bad” — an apparent suggestion that his opponents could be behind them.

Speaking at the White House to attorneys general from around the country, Mr. Trump was asked by Josh Shapiro, the attorney general of Pennsylvania, about the wave of attacks and how the federal government could work with state governments to confront the violence.

“First, he said the acts were reprehensible,” Mr. Shapiro, a Democrat who was elected to the post in November, said while recounting Mr. Trump’s response. “Second he said: ‘And you’ve got to be careful, it could be the reverse. This could be the reverse, trying to make people look bad.’ ”

The comments echoed the Twitter post of an adviser, Anthony Scaramucci, who suggested that Democrats were behind threats to Jewish community centers.

Imagefree image uploading

Sunday night, I was at the home of a woman who was wearing a "She Persisted" sweatshirt in honor of Elizabeth Warren. Needless to say, not a big Trump supporter. During the course of the evening she was draw away by a phone call. She is on the board of directors for her synagogue here, and was notified about the attack in Philadelphia. There had already been an attack on a JCC less than 60 miles away. They were to have a meeting this week.

Graveyards are extremely soft targets. Outdoors at night they become fantastically expensive to secure. Periodic patrols can catch the casual teenage drinking party, but not someone who wishes to get in and out quickly.

Also, an attack on a graveyard tests the anti-semitic waters of the society. It's like a probing attack, looking for a response.

Trump's response is instructive. He simultaneously says it's horrible, and also, quite possibly is NOT anti-semitism. Maybe James Comey can investigate the Democrats for these anti-semitic acts. It's the way Trump loves to play with the facts. Yes, there was an attack, but are we sure it's anti-Semitism?

And maybe the attackers in Sweden were skinheads doing a false flag operation to stimulate hatred against immigrants. Are we sure that isn't true? You can say anything is a hypothetical possibility.

We know gravestones were knocked over. We know there have been attacks on graveyards and JCCs with increasing frequency. Rather than consider the possibility that his administration is emboldening some to make anti-immigrant and anti-Semitic attacks, he somehow wants us to believe it's the Democrat's fault, without providing a scintilla of evidence.

Maybe it's a side gig for people when they're not getting paid to demonstrate at Town Hall meetings.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_just me
_Emeritus

Re: Trump: Anti-semitic attacks possible 'false-flag' ops

Post by _just me »

Does it even matter what political affiliation the attackers and threateners have? It is anti-Semitic no matter what.

This isn't rocket science.
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

just me wrote:Does it even matter what political affiliation the attackers and threateners have? It is anti-Semitic no matter what.

Nope. If I harm a Jew for some other motive than that I hate or despise Jews - for instance, purely because I wish to rob him, just like I might want to rob anybody else - then my act, even though immoral, cannot be said to be an expression of antisemitism.

Trump is basically imagining that some Democrats may have knocked over Jewish gravestones in the hope that the public will think "Trump supporters did this because they hate Jews".

That would be an appalling and callous act of political cynicism. But it would not be motivated by hatred of Jews; indeed I even can conceive of Trump imagining that some Jews knocked over Jewish gravestones specifically so that people might think that Trump supporters hated them. Nothing is too bizarre to find a place in his brain if it helps him feel more powerful and more secure.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

just me wrote:Does it even matter what political affiliation the attackers and threateners have? It is anti-Semitic no matter what.

This isn't rocket science.

Well. Yeah. It does matter.

If Muslims are doing it then it's a sign Islamists are taking their religion seriously.

If the Alt-Right is doing it then neo-Nazis are on the rise.

If Leftists are doing it then it's a false flag op to give the appearance that fascism is on the rise.

If Jews did it then we're being manipulated by either Jewish Leftists or Zionists.

If existentialists are doing it they're just being absurd.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Chap wrote:... I even can conceive of Trump imagining that some Jews knocked over Jewish gravestones specifically so that people might think that Trump supporters hated them.

Meh. He's probably thinking Dems did it.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Chap wrote:... I even can conceive of Trump imagining that some Jews knocked over Jewish gravestones specifically so that people might think that Trump supporters hated them.

Meh. He's probably thinking Democrats did it.

- Doc

Well, those Jewish democrats can be really, really devious, ya'know.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Chap wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Meh. He's probably thinking Democrats did it.

- Doc

Well, those Jewish democrats can be really, really devious, ya'know.

That's what Henry Ford was always saying. And Lindbergh. And William Dudley Pelley. And Father Coughlin. And Joe McCarthy. I think maybe Trump is channeling some dudes from the age of the vacuum tube. :eek:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov