Northam vs. Gillispie thread

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Re: Northam vs. Gillispie thread

Post by _Brackite »

With Virginia becoming more of a blue state, I don't think that this state is going to be that much of a battleground state come 2020.
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Dr. Shades wrote:Out of curiosity, how or why is this race of any interest to people outside the state of Virginia?

If Gillespie won, there was a guarantee that the House disticts would've been gerrymandered. Likewise, a suite of voter suppression policies were on the table to make the state much more likely to go red in a future presidential race. So it affects national politics on that front alone.

The main reason why there is interest is that it provides data on national political mood because you can aggregate election results against prior trends to extrapolate how much the electorate is leaning which can help predict future results.

One thing I was interested in was if national Republicans were going to be encouraged to run the kind of overtly racist campaign Gillespie did because I think that is bad. Results may impact decision-makers on that issue.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

subgenius wrote:
EAllusion wrote:In Maine, it looks like the MA expansion is going to win in a walk.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

walked right out of the Governor's office, did it not?
https://www.yahoo.com/news/maine-govern ... 18389.html

(Reuters) - Maine Republican Governor Paul LePage said on Wednesday he will not expand the state's Medicaid program under Obamacare, ignoring a ballot initiative widely backed by voters, calling it "ruinous" for the state's budget.

Yeah. You need to read up on how approval for this works more. LePage doesn't have the authority to do what he is unilaterally declaring.
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

Water Dog wrote: "her" tenure should prove entertaining.

I'm so happy that the voters of Virginia said a big "Screw you" to people like you.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

beastie wrote:
Water Dog wrote: "her" tenure should prove entertaining.

I'm so happy that the voters of Virginia said a big "____ YOU" to people like you.

I'm reporting you for breaking forum rules, beastie. :(

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:I'm reporting you for breaking forum rules, beastie. :(

- Doc

Aw, ain't you cute.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:I'm reporting you for breaking forum rules, beastie. :(

MODERATOR NOTE: If you wish for swear words to be edited out, then follow these steps:

1. Click on User CP toward the top of the screen, underneath the words "Liar!" "Heathen!"
  2. Toward the left, click on Board preferences.
  3. Underneath that, click on Edit display options.
  4. To the right, next to Enable word censoring, select Yes.
  5. Click Submit.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I think we should be able to swear with impunity on the Spirit Paradise forum. It's paradise!

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

Here's my cautious hope.

I hope that even the slight possiblity of the dems taking control of the house in 2020, and thus controlling gerrymandering, will scare the Supreme Court enough take action on gerrymandering.

This has got to stop. I know gerrymandering is just one of our problems, but I think it is a very significant one. As one critic stated (I think it was a republican, actually) the end result is representatives choosing their electorate, rather than the electorate choosing their representatives. They pander to the extremes in the party because they only worry about primaries, not the general. It's contributed to the political balkanization that is threatening this country.

Penn & Teller

_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:I think we should be able to swear with impunity on the Spirit Paradise forum. It's paradise!

- Doc

Believe me, if I actually posted all the swearing that takes place in my mind, I'd not only be booted to spirit prison but outer darkness.

Penn & Teller