The Dumpster Fire...

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_beastie
_Emeritus

Re: The Dumpster Fire...

Post by _beastie »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Yeah? And it's funny how Liberals these days can't figure out if they believe accusations of sexual assault and rape or not. It's the weirdest thing to see someone bring the Clintons up in context of sexual assault while knowing that was a hill the Left was willing to die on during his tenure and during Hillary Clinton's run for the Presidency. The Left will bitch about the Pussygrabber in Chief, but have no problem with Hillary Clinton's demonization of Bill's accusers.

- Doc

This coming from someone who mocked me for using Monica Lewinski as an example of how badly women involved in these sort of messes are treated. Yeah, clearly I have no problem with the demonization of Bill's accusers. Clearly.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

beastie wrote:This coming from someone who mocked me for using Monica Lewinski as an example of how badly women involved in these sort of messes are treated. Yeah, clearly I have no problem with the demonization of Bill's accusers. Clearly.

I'm sure you, along with the entirety of the DNC were calling for Bill's resignation and prosecution for rape and assault, right?

*crickets chirping*

But these days if any woman makes any claim of sexual coercion or assault we're to treat it with the utmost seriousness and acceptance.

Weird how no one mentions Hillary's absolute decimation of Bill's accusers...

But it's all good because of politics. Kind of like what Moore's supporters are doing now!

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

Cam,

beastie didn't support Clinton because 'Clinton', but was a Bernie supporter. And she had made it clear like many people on the board that voting for Hillary was a vote to stop Trump.

Back off. Being an asshole isn't doing anything but adding another BS torch setting the world on fire.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

Re: the OP, back in July Chuck Schumer illuminated the Democrat strategy for winning back the Senate -

Congressional Democratic leaders descended on this rural Virginia town Monday to unveil a progressive economic package they say can win back working-class voters next November, even in red states.

And noticeably missing, amid the talk of raising wages and reining in corporate interests, were the left-leaning stances on social issues that help form the backbone of the party, such as immigration, abortion and LGBT rights.

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) vowed that his party’s red-state incumbents would largely embrace the new agenda — which, he acknowledged, purposefully avoids the social issues that have already opened a rift this year between the party’s liberal base and centrist bloc.

“There is not that divide on economic issues,” Schumer told reporters as Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, whose anti-corporate agenda influenced Democrats’ new economic strategy, worked a small but adoring crowd in a county that went for Donald Trump by more than 55 percent last year.

“The focus starts on economic issues,” Schumer continued. “That’s where the American people are hurting. That’s what we most felt was missing in the past in the last several elections.”

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/ ... nia-240905

The elections this last Tuesday reflected this strategy where avoiding divisive subjects within the party while focusing on issues that unite both wings of the party proved effective. It's not that this focus energizes voters the way they are energized over beating back Trump. It's a strategy to not turn to infighting when the Trump threat is such a strong motivating influence on it's own. Will it lead to more effective governance if successful in 2018? Considering how well anti-Clinton/anti-Obama sentiment has worked for Republicans that control Washington yet can't point to a meaningful legislative win because it turned out governing requires compromise...I hope we get to see the Dems try.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

What two consenting adults do between the sheets really is none of my business. Their spouse may have other idea's. Roy Moore is a creep, but he is no Christian hypocrite.
SEE https://www.alternet.org/right-wing/roy ... nd-problem
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

beastie wrote:
subgenius wrote:Quick question, would you care if a really competent and capable emergency room doctor was a pervert 30 years ago? Or if this same doctor had a moral compass that pointed in a different direction than you?
What exactly is the implication here for his ability to perform his job?

Somehow I doubt these were your thoughts when Bill Clinton's sex life was in the news.

Though "somehow" your doubt has led you astray of the truth. For I was an intern during the Ken Starr saga and I recall how the head production architect had thrown an indictment reading party for he and his cronies at the time. He was a former colleague of my father and assumed a certain kinship with me because of it....and honestly, when I first arrived for the job interview, and first became aware that He was a "decision maker" at that firm, I knew the job was mine.
Nevertheless, I was a registered Democrat voter at that time, and had voted for Bill - having just emerged from a more youthful association with the B-List Comic Con commonly referred to as the Libertarian Party. I remember thinking what a waste and what a distraction, because what did it really matter for a President, or even an Architect, to have a private life or even a private concern that while seemingly embarassing to a client had no real impact of their professional duties....their execution of service.
I have long admired the response offered by the former mayor of San Diego when he was questioned by a reporter in the midst of all the public bans for smoking. The reporter queued up his "gotcha" by noting that the mayor had received significant campaign donations from tobacco companies and so his sincerity was in doubt...the mayor plainly stated - "if you can't take money from someone and then screw them over, then you have no business being in politics".
To which, it should be noted - an elected official should be capable of performing his duties distinct and detached from whatever his life may be - and we should be mindful of that reality. It's rather like how a good doctor, being a registered democrat, will still fight to save Lee Harvey Oswald's life.
So, yes I can easily resolve a politician wanting to have a balanced budget for this nation because of the wants and desire from his constituency, even though he may have a credit rating of 565.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

Having a crappy credit score can keep you from having a Security Clearance.
SEE https://www.debt.org/veterans/military- ... learances/
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

subgenius wrote:
Though "somehow" your doubt has led you astray of the truth. For I was an intern during the Ken Starr saga and I recall how the head production architect had thrown an indictment reading party for he and his cronies at the time. He was a former colleague of my father and assumed a certain kinship with me because of it....and honestly, when I first arrived for the job interview, and first became aware that He was a "decision maker" at that firm, I knew the job was mine.
Nevertheless, I was a registered Democrat voter at that time, and had voted for Bill - having just emerged from a more youthful association with the B-List Comic Con commonly referred to as the Libertarian Party. I remember thinking what a waste and what a distraction, because what did it really matter for a President, or even an Architect, to have a private life or even a private concern that while seemingly embarassing to a client had no real impact of their professional duties....their execution of service.
I have long admired the response offered by the former mayor of San Diego when he was questioned by a reporter in the midst of all the public bans for smoking. The reporter queued up his "gotcha" by noting that the mayor had received significant campaign donations from tobacco companies and so his sincerity was in doubt...the mayor plainly stated - "if you can't take money from someone and then screw them over, then you have no business being in politics".
To which, it should be noted - an elected official should be capable of performing his duties distinct and detached from whatever his life may be - and we should be mindful of that reality. It's rather like how a good doctor, being a registered democrat, will still fight to save Lee Harvey Oswald's life.
So, yes I can easily resolve a politician wanting to have a balanced budget for this nation because of the wants and desire from his constituency, even though he may have a credit rating of 565.

OMG, I actually agree with you on something....to a point.

Generally speaking, if a president performs his job well, I don't care if he cheats on his wife. I would if I were his wife, obviously, and it might make me view him with personal distaste, but that doesn't mean he can't do the job. Most presidents have been unfaithful to their wives, after all.

But I think there is a line to be drawn with illegal and deeply depraved behavior. The illegal line is obvious, but the deeply depraved may be less so. I think there is a point, within the private workings of human beings, when they reach a certain point of depravity, most of their internal energy is focused on that point. Enabling it, hiding from it, feeling ashamed of it, etc... and being vulnerable to blackmail due to it. Bad traits for a president. Of course "deeply depraved" is subjective and changes over time and cultures. But there are certain bottom lines I think most people accept - and sexually preying upon minors is one.

I also think that sociopathic behavior is something that is disqualifying in a president. Or should be. Too much of a president's job requires the ability to empathize and imagine the lives of others.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com