Enjoy the trolls, folks

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Enjoy the trolls, folks

Post by _Maksutov »

Good things happen on this board and also a lot of chicken stuff. I'm not going to be here while MG trolls and derails and good posters leave. Not where I want to be. Fare well and good luck.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Re: Enjoy the trolls, folks

Post by _Shulem »

Would you care to share a few troll quotes to serve as a prime example of what you are talking about? Is there a particular troll quote that really set you off?
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

I’ll miss you, Mak. Take care
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

My friend! What is going on around here? Where is it happening?

Anyone know?
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_deacon blues
_Emeritus

Post by _deacon blues »

I hope I didn’t say anything to offend you. I’ve always enjoyed your POV
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Jersey Girl wrote:My friend! What is going on around here? Where is it happening?

Anyone know?

What seems to be happening is that, for reasons quite beyond my comprehension, mentalgymnast (he of the multiple thread-derailing endlessly self-obsessed and irrelevant posts) has been allowed a free pass by Dr Shades.

In response to that, three long-term interesting, substantive and reasonable posters have abandoned this board:

I have a question
Grindael
Maksutov

Frankly, that does not leave this already diminished board a very attractive or interesting place to hang about in, does it?
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Chap wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:My friend! What is going on around here? Where is it happening?

Anyone know?

What seems to be happening is that, for reasons quite beyond my comprehension, mentalgymnast (he of the multiple thread-derailing endlessly self-obsessed and irrelevant posts) has been allowed a free pass by Dr Shades.

In response to that, three long-term interesting, substantive and reasonable posters have abandoned this board:

I have a question
Grindael
Maksutov

Frankly, that does not leave this already diminished board a very attractive or interesting place to hang about in, does it?

I tend not to follow Terrestrial very much. I did notice that after all that has happened here, and attempts on the part of Shades to rehabilitate him, he still carries this trollish taunt as his sig line.

Some people make stuff up. Even here on a board like this. Go figure. What is kind of silly, in a way, is that it would take me so long to figure that out. Maybe I didn't want to think it was true. Maybe I give too much the 'benefit of a doubt' to other people. I guess I should know better.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45503

That links to one of his troll threads, by the way.

I don't know what to say. When does this ever end?
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Tator
_Emeritus

Post by _Tator »

I have MGthetroll on ignore. It works for me. I still wish the "ignore software" could block a person from posting on a particular thread. If the troll could have been blocked from grindael's threads, or IHAQ threads, or Dr.W threads we would not be here. It would work for mak, too. I think the thread author should have a method to keep a troll out of their thread.

MG is just like that incontinent rat that dribbles their urine. MG dribbles his troll filth where ever he goes. Mak is correct in not wanting him in his thread.
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Tator wrote:I have MGthetroll on ignore.

Me too. His postings are just drivel with nothing substantial. It's like blah, blah, blah.

I just don't get how some of you people let him get under your skin.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Shulem wrote:Would you care to share a few troll quotes to serve as a prime example of what you are talking about? Is there a particular troll quote that really set you off?

It was this post by mentalgymnast at viewtopic.php?p=1091799#p1091799 :

One person's "magic rock" is another person's translation device 'powered up' by the gift and power of God. Yes, I know, that is a real stretch to go there. Adding on the story of plates and the fact that they're nowhere to be seen as evidence of a translation compounds the problem.

I'm repeating what you've already said, but I think we should make it clear that believers also have to get past this hurdle without losing sleep at night. And it's not a "leetle" thing to make it to that point. There may be some sleepless nights along the way.

Regards,
MG

I get that the first paragraph was an irrelevant reminder of something everyone already knows, but the second paragraph was a clarification that it's a tough thing for believers to accept too, not just non-believers (as stated in the post to which he was responding).

I think the irrelevant reminder is what annoyed Maksutov and resurrected mentalgymnast's troll image, but I don't see how or where he broke any rules or purposefully antagonized.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley